Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Checking if Dealer is Registered

• 15-01-2024 7:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,112 ✭✭✭

Is there any way of verifying if a car dealer is in fact registered and setup properly as a car dealer? Im in the market for a used car and have viewed a few. One car has caught my eye. Dealer has a website, seems to arrange viewings at a meet point and is saying that he can provide a receipt that he had works done to it and provides a 3 month engine warranty. Reason i ask is if the car manifests a problem and it turns out they aren't actually registered i assume my consumer rights are out the window?! The "dealer" is selling a car on DoneDeal as a private seller with just one car in their "showroom".

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The solocheck website can be good to see it the business name is registered and trading properly, how long it has been established etc. If he is selling 1 car as a private seller on Donedeal that would ring alarm bells with me as pretty much no come back and to treat as a private sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

A website while refusing to show the car at his premises is an automatic run away signal for me. He is worse than buying off a private seller as he will have every trick in the book to get you to part with your money while covering up faults.

A receipt from an equally non existent business and warranty from a business with no fixed address.

I think you know the answer to this one yourself.

Buy the car if you wish but don't expect that you will find him when it comes to getting warranty repairs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,112 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Yeah I have that feeling myself, confused however that he seems to have plenty of sales and has almost 50 reviews which are mainly positive (and the odd negative) on Google. Has a 4.7/5 rating. I've asked for details on his company reg and will see what comes back.

SO VAT number provided, quick check on solocheck lists company as dissolved! I take it that thats a big red flag!

• Advertisement

Yeah, his "timing belt" complete receipt might as well be toilet paper unless he can give me the actual garage receipt. Makes sense now why on Done Deal its listed as a private sale, i assume to have it listed as a dealer sale Done Deal require proof of company registration etc

If you are still considering, you are beyond help.

Nah im not, well way i see it is if i was to id treat it as a private sale - meet face to face, verify all docs, proceed to bank together etc but the fact he pulled that one has me looking elsewhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭goochy

link to ad ??

On donedeal

Post edited by Bambaata on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭goochy

i wouldnt be buying from someone who claims to be a dealer but advertises as private seller and also wants to meet at side of road

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54 ✭✭Leatra

Roadside car sales are fierce handy. If you have a breakdown you can just drive away in a brand new vehicle!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,044 ✭✭✭con747

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

Advertisement