Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - New season title pending....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭bingobango12

I'm a Leinster supporter posting here and haven't seen anyone bar 1 saying what you are suggesting.

POM has been excellent for years and I personally think Munster should do whatever they can to keep hold of him.

The fact of the matter is Heaslip and Sexton both had zero competition when they got extensions from the IRFU. Stander and Crowley came about after they had signed on. POMs central contract is almost up and he has very serious competition and is no longer a guaranteed starter. Any other narrative is in your own imagination.

POM should still be involved in the Irish squad in my opinion. His leadership and never taking a backwards step is hugely important and very few in the squad have that old school nastiness that he possesses. In saying that, is he a guaranteed starter now and therefore deserving of a central contract? I'm not too sure.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

You're correct that, currently in this thread, it is only 1 poster. But, I'd wager for for the last 5 years or more POM has received over-the-top criticism more than most. There have been a small handful of posters in the past who wanted him bomb out of the extended squad to never play for Ireland again. That's been repeated on here a number times since about 2018, I'd wager.

That was obviously massively over the top. In reality, he's gone on to be highest capped back-row ever.

Look, lots of players attract over-the-top criticism. For whatever reason, POM seems to be one of those who has often attracted it more than most. (Heaslip is another I'd put in that category for a period).

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mun1

Apologies, you’re right, its not all leinster supporters , it seems to be only 1 or 2. Why they continuously feel the need post their negative sh1te here, i don't know. Personally , I don't post on the leinster thread as I'm not interested in their setup/players/matches and wouldn’t dream about posting about Conan or Lowe there. If i had and opinion on them id post if in the Irish thread .

Don't see any Leinster supporters saying what you're accusing them of here.

I absolutely don't feel he isn't worth the Irish shirt - I'd still have him starting right now in the 6 shirt in Marseille in a few weeks' time.

It isn't sacrilege though for people to point out that he is 34, and plays in a position where there is a glut of young talented players at all 4 provinces, and on the back of that, if the IRFU decided 4 years out from a WC not to give him a central contract then that is understandable.

I don't dispute how great a player he's been for Ireland and for Munster, but you get a contract based on what people expect you to do over the duration of that contract, not for what you've done in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,259 ✭✭✭slingerz

i think the current reports are a lot about negotiations. Munster obviously want the IRFU to pay POM wages like they have been doing and dont want to subsume them into their budget. Given the balance of central contracts i think the IRFU will end up offering POM a 1 or 2 year CC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭YTM

Great news regarding JODs injury that he doesn't need surgery and no fresh injuries for this weekends big game.

There were no new injuries to report after the win over Toulon on Saturday.

Following a consultation last week, Jack O’Donoghue will not require surgery on his knee injury and will be managed conservatively by the medical department. He is unavailable for three to four months.

Oli Jager is continuing to follow the return to play protocols and his availability for the Northampton game will be determined later this week.

There is good news for Jack Daly (ankle) as he returns to training this week.

Cian Hurley (ankle/achilles) and Mike Haley (hip) are increasing their training demands and will target a return to play in the coming weeks.

Continuing to rehab: Jack O’Donoghue (knee), Dave Kilcoyne (shoulder), Diarmuid Barron (foot), Jean Kleyn (eye/knee), Liam Coombes (shoulder), RG Snyman (chest/shoulder), Roman Salanoa (knee), Mike Haley (hip), Cian Hurley (ankle/achilles).

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

any CC offered would be certainly a hell of a lot lower than his last one, even for one year.

He could have 2 years in France for a lot more a la what POC planned to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭YTM

Evan O'Connell named as captain for the upcoming U20s Six Nations. Brian Gleeson, Danny Sheahan, Sean Edogbo, Luke Murphy, Jake O’Riordan, Stephen Kiely and Ben O’Connor also called up. Ex Munster player Ian Keatley has been named as backs coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

Yes they possibly could but I would have thought the IRFU as the governing body of rugby in Ireland would want to keep someone like POM in Ireland. They rated him highly enough to have him on a CC and to start in the recent RWC but now don't seem to rate him enough to top up his salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Marty1983

To be fair we dont know what goes on behind closed doors, at 34 POM and his family might relish two years in France making big money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Northampton this weekend. Sure, go on:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

While he doesn't require surgery he's probably still out for the season. I suppose it's the best bad injury news you can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Don't worry, we have Munster posters that comes into the Leinster thread with the same sort of posts.

I will take a page out of your approach to these discussions and ask that you provide several examples of those kind of comments at a point of time when POM was in form and playing well.

I doubt just being included on that tour would have sufficed - he's having conversations with the coaching ticket and knows where he ranks in their views. I supremely doubt he felt he was actually behind Jake Flannery in the national pecking order.

He just made the pragmatic decision - he had the offer of instant international rugby on the table for a country that he obviously feels a connection to, versus complete uncertainty where he was. It's debatable if he'd ever be good enough for Ireland.

For a short career, he did something to maximise his potential income and that is utterly logical.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭KaneToad

That's me you're quoting about Sexton! You don't think Sexton is/was the best 10 Ireland ever had for the duration of his career?

POM is a great player but he means more to Munster than to any other supporters - for obvious reasons. He's a great leader, very likeable, always gave 100% etc. No one is gloating over his current status, as not being as key a figure as he once was, as it happens to most players.

Sure:

POM shouldn't be in the extended squad nevermind the team imo.

POM continues his herpes like hold on squad spots.

Herpes is easier to be rid of than POM

You could line out and have a half decent shout of doing more than POM. How is this even a debate ? We have seasons worth of games to see how much of a passenger he is

POM was always a passenger in attack so its not a form thing

POM is very much a known, and has been shown deficient again and again. There's little to no risk in trying someone new when compared to the practical void that is POM.

I don't see the point in POM being near a test jersey ever again. Waste of a spot.

How many games has POM started and been **** in? Don't know where he's got his reputation from.

Ruddocks cops criticism for consistently having the sort of game that POM has a once or twice a season. Flashiness and angry face always valued more than putting in work.

I'd agree and I have no issue with Healy doing what he did; you'd wish him all the best.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Surely Kilcoyne will retire. He's probably making a good wage for a 2nd choice prop. If he does not retire, he will not start many matches.

All at different times over the last 5 years back to 2018, like I said. I'm certain there's plenty more too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

If Munster sign Dillane, that's a great pick up, imo. I think he's a great fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Probably time to start moving on from the likes of Murray, Killer, Archer and POM (wouldn't mind another season out of him if possible but could see why he might move on). Would like to see Dillane come in

• Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

In fairness there was a period in the last 5 years where POM's form was very poor. And he wasn't the best 6 in the country. Yes a lot of the criticism was over the top but other players were playing better and deserved a shot. The way he came back and rediscovered top form over the last couple of years has been impressive.

I get why the IRFU don't want to offer him big money as I'm sure he'll slip down the pecking order for Ireland. I think he's still very important for Munster, especially in a leadership/mentor role for all the young forwards coming through.

If he does head to France, I say merci beaucoup et bonne chance.

I'd agree with pretty much all of that, YR.

My point is that, I don't think he was ever playing so poorly that he shouldn't have been making extended squads. Out of the starting 15, even 23? Sure. But dropped entirely from the extended squad? Nah.

With regards the contract, I think part of the issue is that a lot of what he brings are difficult to quantify / intangible. He obviously brings massive leadership and influence to the squad, so it's not like, say, carry stats.

But I don't think it's that surprising that once he returned vs Toulon the general performance across the board went up.

I agree with that - and I'm not someone who is critical of him or has ever questioned his role in the Irish squad. As I said elsewhere, especially with Sexton just gone, I'd still have him starting in Marseille in a few weeks time.

But I don't think the business case you're presenting for him is one that justifies a central contract. His value at this point is much more heavily skewed towards Munster rather than Ireland, and it's utterly logical that he should be migrating now onto a Munster contract.

This would have been well on Munster's radar since his last contract negotiation (which was laborious and lengthy, and only got wrapped because of the RWC). The onus is on Munster here to find the money to pay him. It's not an area to me where the IRFU should be receiving criticism.

POM has had highs and lows in his form for a good proportion of his career, some when he was in fantastic form, like last year, and other times when his form has been pretty dire.

I searched a bunch of those and it seemed like the general consensus from everyone that POM wasn't in good form at the time - you even responded to one of them and didn't even try defend POM's form.

My ask was for times when POM was getting treatment you claimed and he was playing well and it doesn't look like you've provided that at all.

Like I said above, he was never playing so badly that was remotely close to being dropped from the squad entirely.

Out of the first 15, sure. Even out of the 23, ya maybe. But never being "near a test jersey ever again" or "POM shouldnt be within an assses roar of that team" or "POM in that squad is nothing short of a disgrace."

Nah. Not even close.

• Advertisement

The extent to which I've made the case to justify a central contract, is agreeing with Neil on this point:

if ever there's ever a case to NOT base one purely on projected future minutes in the national side, it'd be for a guy like POM.

Yet I understand entirely why he might not get one. (I still think there is a chance he'll get one, mind).

But look, you never know; if the onus is on Munster to find the money to pay him, they've got a sold out fixture against the Crusaders coming up soon. Now, how best to describe that....

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Advertisement