Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new recycling system

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,647 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The last number of pages have been primarily the efforts of one wannabe Del Boy to figure out how he can make money off it, not the actual scheme.

But if we had a scheme as chronically limited, tortuously expensive and complicated as your suggestion we'd probably be at 4800 pages.

Seriously - your proposal is the opposite of simple and is not convenient for anyone other than the registered payer of a household waste contract. I assume you are one, but far far more people aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

Where is that place? i'm genuinely interested. Getting only €70 for a car load full of metal is a bit disheartening. i'm considering getting the help of someone with a lorry as i have access to thousands of slightly misshaped, malformed or damaged faulty clean unused cans, daily.

it would be better finding a better home for them or repurposing/recycling them rather than letting them sit in a warehouse only to be sent out in the black bins a week later along with regular rubbish. company is wasting them cans that can be recycled.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

Ahh here, i already told you it's chico marx i wanted to be, NOT del boy. Who's not reading who properly now? i consider the last few pages to be really insightful content regarding the whole thing.

It feels like you're just being biased in favor of the scheme and shooting down/disagreeing with any suggestions anyone else makes about it. Do you have any suggestions yourself on how to improve this scheme? give some ideas.

And also whats the harm in making a little extra on the side, or trying to figure out how to make money off of it? you say it like its a bad thing.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• I’m amused at a lot of the recent posting and applying it in my own head to a retail place I know well. the part of Nutgrove where Harvey Norman and Homebase are. There’s a reverse vending machine in Aldi there, and a busy branch of Costa coffee shop there, which I’m almost sure isn’t getting a RVM installed by the door. Now I’m picturing folk traipsing via the porch at Homebase with cans and bottles secreted in bags joining a big queue going out the door from Aldi, whilst the Costa staff are trying to chase around tables asking people are “are you finished that can cos I need to take it from you?”

I await the fun and games!

i appreciate your amusement, but i think going out the front door of any of those places might be a bad idea as the entrances all have security cameras for insurance reasons. The backs however rarely ever a camera in sight, easiest way i can imagine is if you know someone who's working in one of those places, and they "accidentally" misplace a bag of cans out back and then they allegedly let you know by having a slip of the tongue. Accidentally phone you and tell you the cans are out back, thinking or pretending they was on the phone with their boss. Hows about that! :D

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Advertisement

• The back entrance is a side entrance at Costa there, I must check on cameras next time I’m there. 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 40,004 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I skipped over the last few pages. 😕

But fraud is certainly a concern with this scheme, 1% loss to fraud is baked into it.

How that happens I have no idea.

There was a lad who disabled the shredding mechanism and kept putting the same cans in 100s of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Genghis

The thing about fraudsters is they are very creative. 1% probably a fair estimate to begin with but who knows, it could be higher.

Some ways Fraud could work, not in any particular order.

Label fraud. Suggested on here and an obvious starting place. Print records and barcodes for legitimate bottles, then attach them to bottles and cans from over the border, or from say bottles / cans from an exempt event, or dairy product etc.

Switch fraud. Similar to the above, switch the barcode of a 15c item for a 25c item for 10c more.

Employee fraud. Employee fraud is big in any sector, his has potential on a scheme like this. Employee collects items from the small retailer, issues a credit, but instead of bringing them all back to depot, keeps some: then later deposit some of those cans in an RVM. Other ways would be to undercount what the retailer gives you, etc.

Impersonator fraud. Call into a manual collection point and say you are from re-turn. Collect the items. Probably not worthwhile except say after a local festival or another time a retailer has volume to take away

Fraud on damaged goods. Items are sent to waste as damaged / out of date / old branding (in the supply chain) but as well as being declared waste, are also aken to an RVM.

Producer Fraud. As above, declare items wasted, but reclaim at an RVM.

Outright theft of goods, walk out without paying, consume the product, then claim the credit. 6 packs walk out every day, this is a lovely little added incentive for anyone with the neck to do this.

So plenty of scope, and I am sure there are other ways too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,044 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

LOL! Haven't the evangelising proponents of this scheme been pointing out from the start that a key feature will be hobos, kids and winos wandering the streets and litter picking to get a few measly cents.

The poster is right - there is some value in these goods. How to maximise it and game the system is a fair question and one you should welcome.

I also take from above that you are not a registered payer of a household waste contract, which explains why you don't give a crap about the 00s of € we spend every year on the perfectly good existing system???????????

You clearly haven't read the Del Boy nonsense posts.

I am, I have even given details of who I pay for my bins. But far more people aren't and that's why a ridiculous, complex system that is only easier for them is not a sensible suggestion.

The existing system isn't perfectly good, as explained in great detail over and over again, but you've refused to accept that so there's no point doing it again.

The existing system isn't perfectly good

It probably isn't perfect, haven't we been told ad nauseum on here no scheme is, but it is a perfectly good scheme.

It is convenient, simple, incentivised and based on the principle of recycling.

The complete opposite of this new one which punitive, inconvenient and a scheme based on litter collection.

There is no evidence I have seen that any of these schemes lead to less production of single use plastics in the fact the evidence suggests the polar opposite.

So in the main it really is just a box ticking exercise.

A far more nuanced approach building on our successes would have a far greater chance of having an environmental impact, I imagine in 10-15 years time we will be changing tact again and the majority of course will again foot the bill.

that guy is a legend! i would shake his hand if i ever met him..... and then i'd check my pockets to see if anyone somehow went missing lol

initially when i read what you said, i thought the guy was disabled, then i read it again and realized he disabled the machine.

if i'm being entirely honest, the scheme itself feels like fraud and feels unfair. i would like if the table was less tilted in their favor

"ridiculous, complex system that is only easier for them is not a sensible suggestion". Everything there is only your opinion, based on assumptions you have made, you have cherry-picked parts of my argument, and completely ignored others.

You've made your point, and made it assertively a few times now, there is no need to continually repeat them every time you post.

Very creative post, i like the effort and creativity you put into it. For anyone else still crying reading this i just want to say that it does'nt have to be only just fraudulent actions involved to make use of this re-turn scheme. There's possibly quite a couple of non-fraud based ways too! these are just some humerous examples of the fraudulent ways.

The impersonator thing is soo messed up, but really funny. i don't ever see myself doing anything like that as it kinda takes all the fun out of getting the cans if they're just handed over to you. i suppose its easier to have it put into your hands than to figure out how to aquire them. its just not up my ally. it is comical though i'll give it that.

"The existing system isn't perfectly good"

Agreed in the sense that it doesn't readily allow for the accurate production of statistics for the materials concerned. This new scheme is being introduced to facilitate bean counting for EU bureaucrats - it's our equivalent of the straight banana controversy.

Equivalent in that it isn't actually a thing, but gets hyped up by people when they don't actually have any genuine complaints?

I'd agree with that, yes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭bren2001

You have the containers from your own cafe/restaurant etc.

Yes, most certainly after its introduced we will still have lots of problems with recycling here. From people not recycling at all, to people contaminating recycling bins at home and in public places, to an industry where it can make more sense to incinerate or landfill than recycle. Lets wait until the EU tells us what we should do next, and gives us a deadline to do it.

• Advertisement

It's worth noting the EU directive is primarily based on collection stats, not recycling targets.

Specific targets include

• a 77% separate collection target for plastic bottles by 2025 – increasing to 90% by 2029
    • incorporating 25% of recycled plastic in PET beverage bottles from 2025, and 30% in all plastic beverage bottles from 2030

If only we knew what are collection stats were now. There may be no need for all this. 🤷‍♀️

It's also worth noting the process to recycle plastic is more polluting and more expensive then creating virgin plastic.

But the environment, something something.

Off to Ringsend with them, feed the incinerator and generate electricity to charge the EVs and new heating systems. That's the new Green Tech way.

Everywhere these have been introduced there has been major fraud because the security is usually a joke. It's difficult to counterfeit a €50 note but relatively easy to counterfeit a thermal printout with a barcode that says you're entitled to 50 euro. Anyone with some IT or cryptography skills can probably do it.

In Israel the head of a beverage firm was done for deposit/recyle fraud. In America a family defrauded the system of $7.6m. In Germany the owner of a retail store fiddled with the machine to disable the shredding mechanism and run cans through repeatedly to the tune of 1m. The California system supposedly loses $200m a year due to fraud.

After it's been up and running a few years we will be told they are losing millions each year due to fraud and of course they will jack up the deposits (and the fees to retailers etc) to cover these losses. The end consumer will pay the bill.

You have to admire the entrepreneurial spirit emerging when there is a buck to be made.

As long as it doesn't get out of hand, a bit of fraud is no harm. Indeed, consider how fraud can be a positive in relation to EU targets. The same bottle being processed twice has a positive impact on our recycling stats; the same bottle being processed 5 times even more so.

Imagine, we could find ourselves topping the table of countries in the EU if we get the balance right 😀.

(Obviously we should crack down before we become the first country to exceed 100% recycling)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭bren2001

The California system is absolutely ripe for fraud. Looking at fraud in the California system offers little to no insights into the potential for fraud here. First and foremost, "theres no obvious way to tell whether a bottle or can was originally purchased in California. That means someone could collect the deposit without ever having paid it themselves, just by bringing in containers from other states that don't charge a recycling fee." [1]. The $7.6 million fraud case you refer too, thats what they did. This simply isn't possible here. You would need to import the bottles, print new labels with the correct QR codes, and then try to deposit them somewhere. That is a lot more effort but more importantly also a lot more expensive to do.

As per the 2014 auditor report, out-of state bottles are determined to be the biggest fraud risk [1].

The second difference is that recycling centers in California are not owned by the state of California [2]. California pays by weight and bottles collected at a recycling center are worth more then kerbside. Hence, you can cheat the weight system and lie about where bottles came from. Finally, with weight, you can weigh the same container twice and generate a new serial number [1].

While there will be some fraud associated with manual returns in Ireland, the vast majority of returns are likely to be from RVMs. Fraud within these systems is harder. Comparisons with the Californian system are irrelevant.

In relation to the Germany fraud case, the operating cost for the scheme in Germany was circa €800 million euro per annum. While €1 million is a big number, its less then 1% of the yearly operating costs [3].

Fraud is something this scheme needs to consider. According to Boggles they have baked in 1%. However, the scenario you presented isn't backed up with data or facts. Its an unfounded theory. In my opinion, mass fraud or large scale fraud is very difficult within this scheme and it is unlikely to have a significant impact on the deposit value in years to come.

[1] https://www.businessinsider.com/california-recycling-fraud-how-scammers-cheat-crv-program-2023-7?r=US&IR=T

[2] https://calrecycle.ca.gov/bevcontainer/consumers/cashingin/#:~:text=By%20law%2C%20you%20can%20bring,10%20cents%20on%20each%20container.

[3] https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-43563164

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Thanks for taking the time to propose an alternative.

A few holes i'd poke in it as you say.

It doesnt improve waste segregation. It keeps the existing system where food grade plastic Rpet and aluminium is contaminated by cofffee, yoghurt and all the other stuff that goes into your green bin. Even an incredible Rfid product, which really doesnt exist in practice couldnt differentiate that level of contamination and even if it could, the issue of customers being told that they were being docked cash becuase the quality of the bottles they were recycled was poor would cause serious rows and is I think impossible to measure in any meaningful way. This would leave the decision on how much to rebate firmly in the hands of a private company with a profit motive.

A Huge part of the rationale for these schemes is creating a dedicated waste stream to improve the quality of recyclate and improve not just the % returned but also the quality and ability to use that material in a circular way. Your solution doesnt help that.

Secondly and related to that, the scope for disagreement on the level of payment for pristine bottles would be huge. Scanning technology misses product pretty frequently. You dont have that issue with an RVM. If you do have a technical problem, you can directly challenge with Tesco, Lidl etc. You wouldnt receie the rebate under your schem until after the rubbish was gone, so no way of proving.

There is another consideration here. Which people generally dont like, but it is a key driver of the scheme and a reason why the single use plastics directive was introduced. DRS is an extended producer responsibility scheme. EPr is a bit like carbon tax, the aim of it is to change producer and consumer behaviour. Governments are not going to take on the cost of recycling becuase they believe that cost should lie with the producer and the consumers who choose to purchase those products. At least this is a deposit and not a levy. There are a number of new packaging levies coming - all aimed at reducing packaging.

Was nothing else considered? Id say Ireland looked in other markets and went with what people believe makes sense. Digita has been trialled in a number of places and the experience suggests it doesnt work at scale. The UK govt were being strongly pushed to base their scheme on digital and they have made it clear that based on the trials by the welsh govt, that they will not. That approach is essentially the bones of what you are suggesting. There are different waste collection systems all over Europe but DrS schemes are outperfoming all of them for cans and bottles. They dont solve anything else, but they work well for those products.

I know another solution that some want is the multi-stream collection, such as exists in some places in NI. That is a better soution in terms of recylate quality, but when multiple bins were proposed in the UK the idea was not terribly popular. I should say this wasnt as an alternative to DRS but the principle could have been adapted to that in theory.

Final point, your solution suggests it would be good to support the waste management businesses. It also places massive faith in them to put in place a system which they would control. They would also need to put in place very substantial admin systems and customer service to back up the disputes that would inevitably arise. I wonder whether peoples experiences of their Waste Management provider would suggest that they are the people to drive this.

There is also, (it wasnt the final point) the issue that your solutin doesnt help the ever increasing population that lives in shared accommodation, appartment blocks etc. Thats not a killer but it would mean that your solution doesnt help a fair chunk of the population.

Anyway, those are my thought. Thank you for the post though. I enjoyed reading and responding to it.

Good post @bren2001

I think 1% estimate is - in fairness - about right. Until the system is up and running its hard to know where the specific vulnerabilities are going to be and if they can be scaled to be worth the bother. Certainly the fraud is low risk for detection, and the return is 100% cash value, so it has its attractions lets say.

I think that fraud in a scheme like this could be practically invisible, as unlike other fraud, there will be no immediate victim-at-loss to ring the alarm bell. Fraud can easily hide within the 'unredeemed value', so I wonder if any of these schemes can ever know the true fraud %.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,044 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

If they're charging you the deposit it's your right to reclaim the deposit, make sure they know this if they ever try something funny

• Advertisement

There is another consideration here. Which people generally dont like, but it is a key driver of the scheme and a reason why the single use plastics directive was introduced. DRS is an extended producer responsibility scheme. EPr is a bit like carbon tax, the aim of it is to change producer and consumer behaviour. Governments are not going to take on the cost of recycling becuase they believe that cost should lie with the producer and the consumers who choose to purchase those products. At least this is a deposit and not a levy. There are a number of new packaging levies coming - all aimed at reducing packaging.

DRS maybe an extended producer responsibility scheme, but producers will be directed by their consumers.

Any costs incurred by producers will not be absorbed but will be passed on. That's just a fact of life.

Whether that be using better grade plastics or the costs associated with getting re-turn ready. But make no mistake the vast majority of these schemes will be paid for by the general public.

What this is scheme will do is increase the use of once off plastics because people will firmly believe that they are recycling and that is better for the environment.

Germany is the poster child for DRS, the reality is their use of single use plastic has risen exponentially whilst their use of reusable containers has dropped significantly. Again producers driven by consumers.

As for forthcoming levies, we all ready had 2 pretty big whopping ones in the sugar tax and minimum pricing, has figures been released yet to show how that has effected consumption if it has at all?

But again this scheme and the directive is more about collection than recycling.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement