Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold spell - 14/15th January onward

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭mcburns07

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭aidanodr

@JanuarySnowstor It seems they are saying its 0 to -1 tonight for Cork City at Met E site. The -4 is "Feels like" vs actual temp. Yip IT FEELS like zero or less all day in Carrigaline but it seems the actual temp is up around 4 or 5

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

It's maxed at 2C where I an and pbly dropping from now on. Ice has remained where the sun didn't hit. This ice/frost will likely remain now until Friday evening

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭Be right back

• Registered Users Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

It is actually amazing how quickly temps lifted. Moore Park went from -6 to 0 from 10.30 to 12.30

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,176 ✭✭✭squonk

Well we’ll see the same on Friday night. The Atlantic can sweep away cold really quickly. It trashy dawned on me first back in 2010 when we had the spell of deep cold that ended on Stephen’s day. I was sure the Atlantic returning night give us some she got a time but places warned so quickly it really was like someone had switched off the cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭pureza

Athloneish somewhere I think

Looking at dewpoints and wet bulbs up across Cavan,Monaghan and Louth now ,they're well above zero,so the precipitation up there currently would have to be rain

• Registered Users Posts: 20,761 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Will it snow in Ireland any time soon ?

This is a Davis station so should be pretty accurate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Just raining here in carrick it's gonna be an ice rink tonight 🙃 also temperatures got down to 7.4c in kilkenny last night and more surprisingly -6c in Cork

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

No, except for hills in the north and northwest, which would expect snow on and off in any winter.

Its an utterly unremarkable spell of weather. Highs of 5 to 7C today, feeling cold, but bang average.

There is some hope in the next 4 to 6 weeks given the stratospheric polar vortex seems to have split in two

The UKMO aren't magicians in their outlooks,they're fallable but their hints at cold aren't for the craic when they mention the risk

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

A wet bulb temperature of 3.9c around Knock now. It should drop during the evening. It looks like the model downgrading the mild sector was wrong. Sure that never happens. I still remain hopeful once the troublesome mild sector is over there will be some snow overnight and it won't be just over high ground . Although as they say it's the hope that kills you

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

It should snow in parts of Donegal, Sligo and Mayo, maybe Leitrim and into Roscommon. Cold rain or sleet near the coasts and snow further inland and over high ground. The rest of the country of course won't be seeing any snow. Monaghan may get some decaying showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Snow warning issue for Donegal, Sligo, Leitrim and Mayo Wednesday morning until Thursday 11am.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

WRF is looking generous with snowfall. Here we’re at 7am tomorrow when the snow warning kicks in. Note this is total snow forecast to fall not necessarily the depth.

18 hours later(end of run)

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭WolfeEire
    Clare (410ft asl)

Wednesday evening into Thursday has been billed for at least five days as the day for greatest snow potential. Today's mild sector now exiting to the south as a much colder airmass pushes down from the north

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Senor Pangea and, hopefully, WolfeEire when they wake up tomorrow and see all the snow outside their respective houses.

Bitterly cold in Cork this evening, 2018 standard with temperatures here at -1 already. Basically since yesterday shaded areas won't thaw until Friday afternoon which is fairly impressive!!

If winds stay light enough we will surely see -7 in Moore Park. Wind is the big factor. Freezing water pipes will surely be an issue down South as we didn't really get a mild sector at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

A nice evening for clearing the garden just before a drop of rain arrived, 4.0C in a damp Athenry

Post edited by redsteveireland on

-2 6pm at Moore Park.

How low will it go..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Still 6c where I am and northwestern areas but -3c already in kerry ,I'm expecting the coldest temperatures tomorrow night with -8c or lower could happen in local areas

Yeah, WOW showing -2 in many locations across Kerry, Cork and Waterford away from coasts

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

-1 when I was driving home from work at 17:30 in cork city, earliest I’ve seen a -1 in a while

I see on Met Eireann farming text forecast they say temperatures will be average or just below this week between 4 and 9 degrees!! It's updated daily, wtf

Erm, it didn't get above 2C here today and likely to remain that way rest of week with very severe frosts!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Its not been shockingly cold to be honest. Fresh and crisp really.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭almostthere12

-2C now south of cork city, it did manage to get up to 4.8C between 2:30pm and 3:30pm but either side of that was below 2.5C

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭pauldry

Feel I'm living in a different country. Rain again most of the day and 6c.

Think I will be very surprised if it snows n sticks here but hey the weather surprises us.

• Advertisement

-3 now across West Waterford and North/ East Cork

Advertisement