Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clampdown on TV 'Dodgy Boxes'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,396 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭jj880

I heard about IPTV from a family member but if I hadnt and found this thread I'd be tryin to find out everything from those in the know and get signed up asap. IPTV isnt a closed shop. Sign up now and let your subs / contracts lapse if you like it.

Honestly would like to know what's stopping people signing up?

A few guesses:

• dont want to get in trouble?
    • dont want to be heard asking round locally for a seller?
    • dont want people to come to your house and see you're using it?
    • dont want to sign up then the service goes down?
    • some or all of the above but dont want anyone else to be able to sign up either?
    • something else (please reply as Im genuinely interested)

Whatever the reason I dont see the need to be on here gurning at people who do use it. Bizarre stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭SteM

Remember when live football on TV was basically 1 game on Sunday on ITV and FA Cup games on BBC? We were lucky because we'd get a Saturday 3pm game on Sports Stadium on RTE. Sky changed all of that but now all people do is moan about them.

The illegal provider manages to be the only one that has a "single pane of glass". Laughable really.

I don't understand why it's laughable? Of course illegal IPTV services can provide this for cheap, they don't pay any money to produce the content in any way. They don't pay to make Mandalorian, For All Mankind or Squid Games which are all made by different streaming services but easily aggregated for an IPTV service.

You use spotify as an example. Spotify pretty much killed piracy and torrenting. But artists hardly get paid by them and music has lost practically all of it's value. Artists go out and gig a lot more now to make money and people complain that ticket prices are too high, but what other source of revenue do must musicians have now?

People think it'd be great to have 1 legit service and one sub, do they really think all of the content that is available to them now would be available on one legit service? If there are 5 streaming services they all require content so they all produce content, some of it is good and some of it is bad but the fact is that a lot of good content would never get made if there was only 1 legit streaming service.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I remember back in the ‘90’s an old landlord got done for a dodgy box . He blamed another tenant for ordering free stuff advertised on sky . Said that those no ads were blocked on legit boxes but played on dodgy ones . True or not I have no idea .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Chorus/UPSHorizon Multichannel or whatever they were called at the time used to do that in Cork and Limerick, they would give free t-shirts to staff and then put up adverts for free t-shirts on their broadcasts, just call the number on the screen. They would then cross-check the caller delivery address for the t-shirts with active customers and get a list of addresses for the engineers to disconnect.

On the topic of sports, they used to do low-budget local rugby coverage that is still better than anything RTE or others have ever done since then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,386 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...oh torrenting is still going strong, even though im probably the only person on the planet doing so, so im probably just torrenting to myself at this stage.....

....you re all a bunch of heathens to, iptv, feck sake.....

I'd heard about that before but always thought it was an urban myth.

Well maybe not killed it but you know what I mean.

Soulseek for the win btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

My nephews firestick is working great, can get all the sports and GAA channels, they used to use NowTV and at a tenner a top up for each game before that.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

...ah shur the current model has completely failed, it ll be interesting to see how it continues to do so, when broadcasters start to experience serious financial crisis within their organisations....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,434 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Supporting the production of content? Same reason I do have a few podcast and digital media subs (e.g. The Athletic). It's not just about football - HBO/ Sky Atlantic; Apple; Prime etc. do expensive, high quality productions.

....broadcasting quality and quantity certainly has increased significantly over the decades, but i think people have just had enough of feeling screwed over, just so a handful of companies can make obscene profits from so, a lot of broadcasting rights would have been in the public domain prior to this era, hence more fta viewing, so, yes we certainly do enjoy far greater broadcasting options, but when the public has enough, it has enough....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,338 ✭✭✭Gusser09

It appears to be extremely difficult, bordering on impossible for broadcasters to block it at source given a lot of the streams are hosted in far flung locations well off the beaten track. So how can they block it?

Do they make an example out of a few users? I'd imagine legally they would find it difficult to really make a case against someone just using the service. There are too many variables involved in streaming. How do they prove that the IP that the user was connecting to was indeed an illegal stream of copyright material? Who do they hold responsible in multi tenant abodes? The bill payer? Again I can't see how they can prove categorically who was using the service is in this case. Hard to see the DPP taking a case like this to court.

Like most people I use a VPN on my firestick. That encrypts the traffic and once it leaves the VPN providers chosen server the ISP have no idea where the traffic is headed for. It's impossible for them to stop that.

Some of the anti IPTV / Pro multi billion dollar broadcaster posters on here seem to think people should look at their consciences and voluntarily stop using IPTV. Shudder to think Sky might be out of pocket.

Hard to see what they can do to be honest. I'd imagine the alternative subs will be available for a long time yet until the tech to block them catches up.

too costly and too many resources required chasing end users, a long with variables mentioned, i.e. wont happen, providers on the other hand, now thats a risky game, but dime and dozen.....

Sure. Smaller content creators should be supported. I have a few subs myself to the likes of The Pensive Quill. Not going to lose any sleep over Sky / HBO etc though. They seem to be doing alright. If they want a sub from me they can change their ways. E.g. as already mentioned look at Spotify for the music industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,434 ✭✭✭Macy0161

As also already mentioned, spotify isn't great for the makers of music. However, I'm just giving another reason why people may be willing to pay subs.

Well hopefully there can be some middle ground somewhere or IPTV will continue to take off.

If I have a bit of money but want a loaf of Brennans bread but can't afford it should I steal the loaf of Brenanns bread from Tescos or should I buy the cheaper loaf I can afford? Tescos can afford the loss. I might be caught though.

The difference between taking something physical and something digital is only the chance of getting caught taking something digital is almost zero. Is that why we feel fine doing it but would not take a loaf of bread when we feel like it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,900 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Some additional points...

From what I have seen in my tests, the quality of live soccer matches on IPTV has been substandard when compared to the official stream on Now TV or Sky Glass/Stream. I have seen some IPTV streams labelled as "FHD 50FPS" - but in realiity, it was short of this. Yes, for most people the IPTV streams are probably "watchable", and I accept that. However, it is not possible for an IPTV stream to match the original. It's like uploading an MP3 to YouTube and someone else then downloading it. There will be a loss in quality.

Next is availability. There is no guarantee that for a big match or live event that the IPTV stream will hold up when you need it.

Lastly, it is widely known as being illegal - and you must accept that some people will simply not use it because of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,965 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Horrific is what's happening in Gaza and Ukraine.

Not liking the price charged for a luxury product isn't really horrific. Make sure you don't go into BTs or Weirs, you'll be hugely horrified.

• Advertisement

But be honest, people don't want a middle ground really. The box has been opened.

People have access to more content then they'll ever need and the convenience of streaming it on their TV, tablet or phone for approx €60 per year. It has Live TV and catchup TV from around the world, PPVs, full TV box sets from Disney, Netflix, Prime, Apple & Paramount+ & movies in 4k. It's easy to use, it has a full EPG and the front end looks like Sky. There isn't a legit streaming service in the world that could offer all of this or anything close to it for €60 per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,900 ✭✭✭JDxtra

As mentioned earlier, the most obvious way to tackle the problem is if the providers start to embed invisible watermarks into their broadcasts.

Most IPTV streams will originate from someone that has a stack of official boxes and subscriptions. For example, if we look at Sky - the subscriber number could be embeded into the stream or added by software on the client device (Now TV stick or app). Then Sky view the IPTV streams and decode the hidden subscriber numbers. They then terminate the stream for that dodgy subscriber, which kills it for everyone.

This is technically possible, but they'd have to be smart about it so that it's not easily detected and removed. You have other challenges here - Sky channels on services you don't control e.g. Virgin Media.

Anyways, with the growth in illegal IPTV here we'll probably see some traction on tackling it this year.

...well since illegal rebroadcasting has always existed, id say 24 is gonna be just another year rightsholders will try do what they can, but will probably ultimately fail....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭irelandrover

That's not the only difference. If I steal the loaf of bread then Tescos cant sell it to someone else as I have it. So you are depriving Tescos of their bread.

If I have an IPTV then sky can still sell their product to someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

People being fleeced is horrific. Especially in the current climate.

Fair point. But Tesco's can still afford the loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Butson

Of course there is nowhere that can offer that for €60 a year

a) they are all seperate companies

b) they are producing the content, not ripping it onto a sever?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,338 ✭✭✭Gusser09

None of that will work. Once the stream leaves the IPTV subscribers legitimate box it is off Sky's network. Sky will have zero control over that then. If the IPTV provider has legitimate subs going to multiple boxes then that's all they will appear as to broadcaster (legitimate subscriptions). They have no way of telling who is then connecting to those servers to stream (as they are not on Sky's network)

What you are suggesting wouldn't be difficult to do. It just wouldn't work. It's whack-a-mole really. They can cancel legal streams they believe are being rebroadcast for IPTV purposes but another server will just pop up.

If ISPs could block IPTV based on destination ip addresses of their users traffic they would do it across the board. VPN's and the sheer amount of servers make this ineffective.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

Although there are a lot of people signed up to illegal IPTV and lets be honest they do provide a multitude of live TV content that is just not available on other legal providers platforms. But technically I don't believe they are there yet and I don't believe they can provide stable high quality streams during high demand. Some folks may argue with me on this as it is dependent on the provider but until the day that they are able to that and without the need for the end user to search for alternative streams (which in fairness are mostly available from the provider btw) I am not fully convinced and I believe that Sky et al have nothing much to worry about. To put in laymens terms for the end user there is still too much messing around required during high demand streaming events as their systems can become hogged and I believe the majority of them don't address this.

Not everyone signs up to an illegal IPTV provider for high demand live streaming events though and for those that don't, well you can't go wrong tbh. For those that do, you maybe disappointed.

From a technical perspective it's quite simple to sign up to one directly but like anything else everything is simple when you know how.

• Advertisement

Again, an excuse 'the current climate', can we stop kidding ourselves? Just admit you want access to everything for next to nothing.

I've been looking back at emails. I had a starsteams account in 2012 which required an invitation from a friend to join. Since then I've always had some sort of service going to various providers as they improved (and it's only gotten cheaper) and now a service along with a plex account. Over 10 years and this stuff has been popular enough during that time, it's got nothing to do with the current climate.

Advertisement