Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet/ Routes Discussion Pt 2 (ALL possible routes included)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭x567

Any chance the SNN-FAO might be coming back? (Think that used to be a W from Cork?)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

I have been hearing that rumour for at least 5 years now.

I think its rubbish. I used to know the lady in the Marketing section who had the responsibility for the fleet names. (She left in 2021) She was involved with the DVM project in 2010/2011. (Which incidently, was supposed to be named Bridget)

She knew it wasn't going to happen with the LRs arriving in. So I doubt it will happen with the XLRs.

EI execs don't put forward such ideas unless the CEO has already suggested it or it has a defined cost saving/revenue potential.

It's very much a culture of don't raise your head above the parapet, while defecting blame sideways.

In saying that, I would be thrilled to be wrong on that front.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

@Tenger yeah your not wrong tbf! I’d head it before too and as much as I’d love it, I’ll believe it when I see it!

Only talking to someone the other day about the current style of management! It’s all numbers, spreadsheets and DEI etc! No one seems to be making the difficult decisions that need to be made at an airline!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,464 ✭✭✭✭cson

Wasn't the retro livery, resurrection of the Iolar and general lean into the heritage driven by Mueller?

Feel like he was the last CEO who 'got' the brand.

Lynne is just an IAG puppet - it's a shame what they've done to EI & BA in particular, shell of what they were. IB in my experience has been less affected for whatever reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,779 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There was a lot of effort in to celebrating 75 years back then, but despite other airlines of similar age doing 90 celebrations in the last few years I am not expecting anything in 2026

• Advertisement

Latest edition of the Irish Air Letter has info on the XLRs. 2 delivered in late 2024, the other 4 in 2025.

MSN 11348 shall be EI-XLR.

MSN 11590 shall be XLT.

Others XLU , XLV , XLW , XLX

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭shamrocka330

Surprised they went out of their way to get registrations like that, very unlike EI (well, since the days of EI-DUB, EI-ORD, EI-JFK etc.)…..just on that, and I’m assuming it’s a coincidence, but is EI-DAA referring to the airport operator?!

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Astral Nav

EI-DAA was built and registered long before the DAA was formed so no but it would be ironic to register an aircraft after an airport authority which seems to view them as a bit of annoyance.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭shamrocka330

Would be very ironic alright! Although, would the DAA view EI with a bit of annoyance? I would agree if you said FR but I always considered EI to be the good child!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

On balance they would be good only because the other is so bad!

DAA prefer there friends visiting.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

Aer Lingus did it with the LR’s, I don’t think it was a coincidence that they they’re all EI-LR* registered.

The A320neo fleet is less convincing but even they all start with EI-N** so maybe it was also intentional.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

XLS is a Citation

6 on order, so it just fits

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Qaanaaq

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

XLR will have fewer seats than the LR, so it sounds like bigger galley and a mid cabin toilet are in the mix which makes sense given the extra range/flight time

Mid cabin lav is an absolute must.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭HTCOne

NSA is the industry term for "Next Small Aircraft", ie what will replace the A320 & 737 in each manufacturers portfolio in future, just like NMA is "Next Medium Aircraft" which Boeing were calling a 767 replacement project they ultimately shelved.

IAL says 3Q2024, 4Q2024, 2x 1Q2025, 2Q2025, and finally 3Q2025.

So, 6 aircraft within 12-14 months is the plan.

Regarding the A330 EI-DAA. This was delivered in 2001. I think it was a deliberate decision from the Exec at the time to move away from the quirky (and more costly) vanity reg on the previous A330s. It may also have been an indicator that they intended to grow the fleet and there was a lack of appropriate airport codes to use for their long range widebody.

The A321s had a sequence, (CPC-CPH) as did the 25+ A320 order in the early 2000s. The DEx sequence (not exactly sure when it was ordered)

(as an aside the A321s were given Ulster names to reflect the ongoing peace process)

Regarding the A321XLR cabin. Personally I dont think it will differ much to the LRs. EI have an opportunity to standardise their narrowbody TA fleet. Operationally this makes more sense that an 8/6 split.

Having experienced it as a passenger on 1 trip to the USA I would agree that a mid cabin toilet seems a no brainer. Those galley toilets are awful.

The A321XLR was originally slated for 2023 EIS. So I expect that the cabin config was locked in for the customers 12-18 months before planned delivery. I dont know if this might have been affected by the certification delays.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭FR738

• Advertisement

An out of sequence reg costs €710 one-off according to the IAA calculator. Which is a lot less than I expected, so that may not be the only cost.

With the level of mindless/counter-productive penny pinching going on in EI, that may still be a stopper!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,320 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

BA was historically very hit on that and I wonder is it more ingrained there.

744 was Boeing New Large Aircraft g-BNLA up to BNLT at least.

2000 year order for 777s was G-YMMA up to YMMM at least

oroginal 777 order was G-ZZZA etc as ZZZ looks like 777.

my favourite was G-STBA short-term Boeing aircraft for the 773s which were leased when the Dreamliner was delayed. That 773 fleet is still there 14 years later.

And Concorde was BOAA-BOAF, to include BOAC as the original company name

EI still refers to hulls by the last 2 letters of the reg so finding a non overlapping blocks isn't easy

Side line - Dublin Bus used to get registrations to match fleet numbers but abandoned it once it was known how much extra it was, trivial but pennies count.

Dublin Bus dropped it when the price went from 315 to 1000 more specifically.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭kc56

I recall in the 70's the CIE Provincial busses with registrations 1IK to 130IK for the M-class matching the M serial no.

May have ceased when the current plates came into operation in 1987.

They did it until 2007 or whenever the price was trebled. You'd have 06-d-xx234 for AX234 and so on (number clearly just made up)

Real example here

https://twitter.com/myDublinbus/status/1747228545728778742?t=WLLfQ6vOmucET_f-Y3E1UA&s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭bikeman1

And the 772s that are G-VII

VII being the Roman numerals for the number 7.

You had the short lived Wow Air having all sorts of mad registrations like TF-DAD MAM GAY SON !!

Makes things interesting for us spotters!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,320 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Indeed you are right, as a financier when I sold one of the 744s and 2 of the YMM 772s, I took a charge over one of the VIIs as security for a guarantee!

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Has Aer Lingus stopped flying to London City?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Advertisement