Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new recycling system

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

if they would like (or even care to bother knowing) where the specific vulnerabilities lie, they could pay people to investigate it or drop off a spare empty machine for them to play with. Alternatively i'd be willing to take a commission or some salary to look at the machines and help identify the potential vulnerabilities that may arise from all this.

In Regards to detection and visibility for the less morally minded people who intentionally set out to exploit any of the flaws discovered in the machines, aslong as they don't do it too much and keep their mouth schtump (no bragging) they should remain undetected.

However its not just machines that can have flaws, its the system itself. And the way it's set up so that regular home recyclers get punished, they're just asking to be exploited.

i have a strange feeling that attention won't be drawn to it until AFTER the unclaimed deposits become exceeded. at first it may be put down to a computer error of some sort, but as it becomes more consistent and widespread it will become known and combated.

Fraud can entail jail time but i doubt picking up cans, can. It would be really funny if someone got into trouble off of doing something with the cans, and then the judge sentences them to community service where they get access to MORE CANS!! lmfao. Can you dig it?

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,044 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

The thing about fraud in a scheme like this, committing the fraud still results in product being recycled so it's not a terrible thing

Very true! i'm also thinking that if a person gets arrested for fraud, they could get fined and have the money from that fine to help pay towards recycling in some way, or to help fund some recycling based charity.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,689 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Excellent post.

One of the key points you make relates to changing behaviours.

In relation to plastic bottles, we don't need as much plastic bottle usage as we currently have. There are too many households who can't be bothered to replace the filter on their expensive eletricity-guggling American fridge and fill reusable flasks for water. Instead, they buy loads of plastic bottled water. If only 20% of those started buying less water bottles, this scheme would be a great success.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,324 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Hopefully the supermarkets have some Roses and Heroes sweets left over to give to those people in the massive Q's dropping back their recyclables each day.

• Advertisement
    M

What happens if you get a voucher for €9 from the machine but only use the voucher to spend €6 in the supermarket that day, will the cashier be able to issue you with a new voucher for the €3 or will it be €3 in cash you get back?

Post edited by Atlantic Dawn on

• Registered Users Posts: 68,646 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You can exchange the vouchers for cash regardless. So you'd get cash change.

This is wild speculation on my part, but i'd assume based on my experience with other vouchers they'd scam you out of the €3 change or claim they're donating it to charity on your behalf.

If i was you, just to be safe it's better to cash the voucher and then buy what you want with the cash, that way there's no risk of them pocketing the change. Cushty cushty.

The system hasn't even started yet and you're talking about massive queues? I get the feeling you won't like the system by default when it starts...

• Registered Users Posts: 40,003 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Will seldom happen I imagine.

Vouchers are designed to make you consume more, it's the main reason the large retailers are fully in on this.

It forces people into the larger stores.

Genius really, not very environmental though.

You go in with your 60 cent voucher, buy a bar of chocolate for 1.20 and chuck the wrapper in the general waste bin or on the street if you are that way inclined, all happy because you helped the environment.

• Advertisement
    M

It will take me circa 10 minutes plus to offload my current bottles and cans the house uses in a week, if I just go by the amount of people who shop the same time as I do there's no way I will be getting to the machine without there being at least 4 people ahead of me that I will have to wait another 5-10 minutes for each. My main shop store has installed a 2 input machine right in front of the front door, it will be absolute chaos.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,003 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The advice on here is to come back later, but for some reason that isn't considered an extra journey. 👍️

• Registered Users Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭bren2001

How many containers do you have to drop off that you'll be at the machine 10 minutes?

Au contraire L1011, au contraire i have'nt made stuff up. I have experience with spending vouchers and other money off schemes, and normally when spending a store issued voucher they don't give change. They can only give money off up to the value written on the voucher off of purchase. So if you're buying something with a voucher its wiser to make sure to spend all of the voucher so that way you get your money's worth so to speak. Otherwise they keep it and don't give you change. It's in their terms and conditions like, how can you say i'm making this up?

You know it makes sense

M

Each item seems to take circa 30 seconds to verify on the examples I have seen online, I'd say 40 items I would have on an average week so that's giving me 12 minutes.

Because this is neither a store voucher nor a money off scheme; and because you outright said it was wild speculation

All thread long you have just made stuff up to fill in for stuff you didn't know or understand.

You still have an exceptionally poor understanding of the scheme to the point you claim it's a scam.

You use over 400 containers a week?

That's how many you can get in to a higher spec RVM in ten minutes, let alone the plus.

That's a lot of bottles and cans, the last time I used one in Germany I got rid of 24 cans in less than 30 seconds, if your family is drinking 480 cans or bottles a week you have bigger problems

Unlikely... I'm guessing they advised you to instead do your shopping (and recycling) at a different time and you got confused again

The nesty machine can process 45 items a minute or one every 1.3 seconds.

You might need be able to feed it that quickly but you're talking 2 minutes. Maybe 3.

M

Yes if a store has one of them I will be going there, the machines I have seen so far don't appear up to much given the size of the actual processing part.

• Advertisement

actually that is untrue. i have a clear understanding of many things including various vouchers and money-off schemes. Either way regardless of the 2 replies you've just given me, i still stand correct by what i said in each of them.

Also i said it was an assumption "based on my experience with other vouchers they'd scam you out of the €3 change or claim they're donating it to charity on your behalf." you're literally nit-picking my posts and choosing to see only the parts you want and pretending you don't see the rest so that way it fits your narrative. Quite Dishonest.

Frankly i don't understand all this hostility you keep giving out aimed towards me, what gives?

What machines? All of them on the list of approved suppliers are all capable of processing around that amount per minute.

30 seconds is a wild suggestion, where exactly have you seen them?

The person who has spent pages and pages trying to come up with hairbrained theft and fraud schemes has no basis to call anyone else dishonest

M

On YouTube, the Return website doesn't show any examples oddly just a series of Powerpoint slides with cartoons for people.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

the machines they have in germany can process a bottle in just over a second. The first generation of machines 8 or so years ago were a lot slower though, but nowadays the machines are all super quick.

Also... thats the thing - they have the system in Germany and the sky didnt fall in and more or less they were the crash test dummies to iron out a lot of the problems in such a system.

Theres a queue sometimes, and sometimes there isnt. If there is a queue, it goes pretty quick. The only time it goes slow is if theres some sort of bottle hoarder or collector bringing back 100s of bottles.

Whether its better than collecting all plastics in recycling centres is hard to know, but it definitely encourages you to recycle and not throw in normal rubbish OR out the window down the country somewhere.

You're basing your idea of how long they take on what you think the speed is from looking at static cartoons?

How?

Give us a link to one.

There's a video of a kid loading one in Germany. The kids isn't particularly fast but it shows how fast the machines are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coBvrjDg7VA

i'm not sure where either of you are based, but your comments about having so many cans/bottles but being hassled with the bother of bringing them back has inspired me to come up with a creative solution that involves myself (or any other that wishes to do this) to go around some estates, collecting the cans and bottles that people are unable (or unwilling) to bring back themselves for the deposit, and in return i could give like 3-5 cent each or something. And go around to all of the houses who agreed, arranged this before hand.

That way it is less bad fumes into the environment and i'm doing them all a favor and everyone gets to be a winner, and i collect the deposit money.

How does this sound?

And yes L1011 i still believe the general feb 1st scheme is a scam. its unfair and is only being done to drive up unit numbers to show the EU. i believe thats been made quite clear by now as others have pointed out. I'm more interested in the money side of things and in helping people who are being inconvenienced by this decision.

You know you'll need a waste collection permit to do that, right? Include registering all vehicles used as such.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Genghis

Hi Rigor Mortis, thanks for your comments. Wish I could quote you point by point, but not sure I can so hope below is OK in response.

Re: item 1 - My proposal had a separate chipped bin, and a separate collection for these items. I refer to them as 'credit-able' items, which I had outlined were plastic bottles and cans. I further said that any contamination in these seperate bins would forfeit the credit. I genuinely don't know how you could have reached your first conclusions there. Just to say for clarity, its not RFID based either.

On the second point, I think AI based solutions can actually be better than RVMs for this type of thing, but I appreciate you may have reservations, as I am sure others would too. The solution I set out does not require special barcodes - because AI has capabilty to tell if an item it is plastic or aluminium, even if crushed; secondly AI could be trained to detect contamination, whereas RVMs will have a limited ability to do that. You said there would be no proof - I did mention the point about proof / evidence - images are retained and could be reviewed. FWIW I think AI will feature in the future anyway - realistically as long as we still have domestic collection there is no other way to combat contamination.

On your third point, I am not sure we are in disagreement. My scheme is fully compatible with DRS, my very first point stated there would be a levy on every plastic bottle and can. It would be less expensive to operate as it won't need thousands of retail 'partners', special bar codes, or central collection contracts, but the idea would be the same - a self financing scheme.

On the first final point, I still say taking volume from the waste management business is not going to help that sector grow, or improve. If as you mention you are concerned about the competency of that sector now, you must be more concerned about them in the future when 1.2bn items are taken from scope. I certainly am. As I mentioned in another post, there are recycling issues beyond plastic bottles and cans that we will need to solve in the near future, so I feel the sector is important.

Re: rented accommodation, etc - yes, thats definitely a point. I did mention in other posts that while re-turn inconveniences everyone, my scheme only inconveniences some, maybe the answer is both solutions co-exist.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement