Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Room to Improve - Grants 😱

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,088 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

What? It looks like a perfectly normal bog standard tiled roof found up and down the country. An issue with tiles is that they are sometimes laid at a shallower pitch and don't have same overlap as slates but the pitch on these roofs looks to be at least 30 degrees and probably more. There's a flat roof extension, that quite possibly had rot issues but you wouldn't / couldn't condemn the main roof just on the basis of that.

It's quite possible that all is perfectly legit but anyone with half an idea about building structure would smell the possibility of a rat here.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,351 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I'm an Engineer.

From an initial inspection that photo, I see 2 possible serious defects.

1 The rear projecting section appears to have a deflection to the ridge. Certainly needs looking at.

2 it appears that there is a tile missing on top side of main chimney.

Both could be serious defects or not but would need investigation internally.

Still Derelict is seriously pushing things.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,755 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

What it has to do with is that what you see is not necessarily how it is. It is never said that the furniture is hired in. In the programme I am talking about the people were not actually living in the house even though the impression was given that they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Yes, the roof would probably have stayed intact for another 50 years. But the issue is they had to cut a big hole in one side of it and attach the new extension to it, then ask a engineer to sign off on the whole thing against 2023 standards.

Again, it's far more likely the roof genuinely was defective than a concerted fraud by the clients, architect, engineer and QS. If the grant scheme is ridiculous, fair enough, but it's the professional's job to get the best deal for his client and the repeated claim that it was a fraud is absolutely bananas.

What? It looks like a perfectly normal bog standard tiled roof found up and down the country.

Some of which are rotten or not fit for purpose.

On my own development, we took down a wall and it was only then we discovered the entire stone gable was unsafe and had to be demolished and rebuilt. Nobody would have seen the problem until the other structure was removed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Roof was replaced most likely for aesthetic reasons ,old roof would have looked **** with new extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,088 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Fraud is too strong a word. Possible abuse of the system might be better description.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,263 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Exactly. Accusing someone of fraud without a criminal conviction is defamatory I would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭Francis McM

Correct. And the ceilings in the old house showed no signs of leaks or dampness, or Dermot would have shown that. To claim the house was derelict and vacant is seriously pushing it in my opinion. Do they really think people are fools?

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭KAMG

Because it was. There was one Camera shot taken of the house after the roof had been 'condemned'. All that was left was a few external walls and the chimney. If the roof was that bad, surely the couple would not have bought the house. Like, surely they had an engineer check it out before they purchased it.

My cousin has applied for this vacant homes grant. He bought a house which belonged to a couple who have both died in the recent past. He had to wait 2 years after the second person died to start the renovations. He certainly did not move into it. I will ask him how he is getting on with the grant application.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭redoctober

I feel sorry for some of the couples on these programmes (although the girl on this didn't seem the brightest and where the heck did they get all the money?). This couple spent 300k on a house which had a rotten roof (allegedly!) and was uninsulated. They are then encouraged to spend another 300+ (including grant) to get a house not that dissimilar in size but obviously vastly improved. They will spend the next 30 years or whatever paying it off and by then the house will look tired and dated probably (modern design generally does). The whole thing just seems like such an over-inflated waste of money which is egged on by the professionals involved. The professionals sit there straight-faced telling them they need 45k for a few things in the garden. Things are so overpriced in this country. What about doing without or actually building them yourself?

I live in a house not that dissimilar to the original and it genuinely was derelict and vacant for 20 years prior. Sadly these grants didn't exist 10 years ago! Spent a fraction of their budget and it's a very nice habitable cosy home. No, it's not perfect but I won't be paying a loan for the next 30 years.

Much prefer Cheap Irish Homes for a more down to earth view.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭redoctober

Looks like they found a loophole whereby they left a few walls standing so that they could claim it was a "renovation" and hence get the grants. .

Horses for courses.

Part of the RTI thing is to cause a bit of jealousy with the financial stuff. And it clearly works. The amount of bitching that has gone on down the years about the money people spend or seem to have is nearly as entertaining. 😁

I prefer the more down to earth shows myself but there is make believe involved in them too for entertainment value.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭RurtBeynolds

The day has finally come where I read about Nadine Coyle lying about her age on popstars like it's some sort of historically significant event.

Some might say it was a brilliant career move as she has done quite well since while the others seem to have disappeared off the scene.

But in other councils around the country, applicants / potential applicants are told most definitely they cannot get the grant if they do that. So why the double standards?

Can you show us this?

Any actual proof not anecdote.

You want transcripts of a meeting between someone and the council?

Ask anyone who has asked the council can they get the grant just by keeping a few walls of an existing house (like the fine house sold in Cashel for 303k in 2022 ) ....and if people elsewhere in the country could get €99,000 that easily, everyone would be at it.

The grant is for Refurbishment of vacant and derelict dwellings. What do you not understand about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,789 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Some fierce bitter people in this thread. Would ye not be happy for the couple?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭standardg60

You need to submit a quote for the planned works in the application, you don't just get approved because the house is vacant.

Interestingly a house doesn't have to be on the derelict sites register, which i'd have thought, but can be certified as such by a qualified professional, which is handy if you have a qualified professional engaged to do the work!

• Advertisement

I want something more than anecdote.

How do you know who is getting what?

Seems to me you have taken a dodgy ball and run with it on information gleaned from a programme that routinely edits facts to create an entertainment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭DBK1

This happens with the councils every day in all walks of life.

It’s nearly impossible to get a van/jeep taxed commercially in some counties without jumping through serious hoops while in other counties all you have to do is fill in the forms and there’s no questions asked.

The council fees for new builds vary wildly from county to county too. In Offaly it’s around €3k, I’ve heard of fees if €20-€30k in other counties.

It’s surely highly likely the same applies to grant applications in different counties. It may not be fair but neither are the other examples of differences I just mentioned but that’s just the way it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭NSAman

So they spent 300k on a house and did they get a survey? Surely that should have brought up the roof issue back in 2021?

Surveys miss major defects all the time.

There are multiple advice web pages telling you what to do if it happens, they are there because it does happen. Surveyors will not damage a house to do a survey therefore some issues can remain hidden.

survey misses defect in house - Google Search

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭NSAman

Come on.. a condemned roof? Missed in a survey? If it were me, I’d be looking at the surveyor in a few different ways!

How do you know they aren't?

As somebody else said it maybe that another professional on the extension would not sign off on it. There are roofs in perfectly happy existence that would not pass muster under current regs. Add an extension or cut a dormer into it and everything must pass certification. Multiple possibilities before the conspiracy lads in the black coats arrive.😀

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Dr.Tom

From an interview in the Irish Examiner linked below:

In episode two, Brian Carrigg and Kate Molony attempt to renovate a bungalow with a view of the Rock of Cashel that Kate has dreamed of owning all her life. As their budget is limited, the derelict and vacant homes grant and the SEAI grant have been integral to making this home build possible.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/property/homeandgardens/arid-41302732.html

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I wish I had a limited budget like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

I’m not certain that grant is in place since 21 but technically no it’s not if it was - however we should not have been misled on the show if that is the case.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement