Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,289 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I was watching the Six One news on RTE 1 and the sports segment came on. They were talking about the possibility of 14 new free-to-air sports events. Sounds great, I was thinking. 😃 9 of which would be women's sports. Well that didn't last long. 😟

• Registered Users Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Again, I didn’t ask you. Actually, maybe I did…..

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Tell me, and this applies to all the others so interested in protecting us from "unvetted migrants"...

What other campaigns around sexual violence have you been involved with?

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭L.Ball

I'm not really sure what your point is... if there are enough houses to be bought of rental properties to be let, in functional country there would a modicum of planning to ensure that there be services available to meet their needs, so for example if 500 houses and 6 apartment blocks were to be built, the onus would be on local government to seek funding for education, medical services etc to be expanded by the time they were built. Dumping dozens of "families" on people's doorsteps overnight is not the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭AllForIt

It's at comedy level now with every single politician interviewed in the media going on a tangent talking about dark forces to avert talking about the reasons for the increasing number of protests across the country.

You'd think Green party TD's of all would be advocating for less rather than more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,900 ✭✭✭enricoh

Probably just a feeling, maybe a bit of perception and prejudice too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭suvigirl

You keep on posting the same thing over and over, even though it has been shown his statistics work!

This doesn't mean that Afghanistan men are more likely to be sexual offenders😂

It's statistics of what happened in 2017. Can you tell us how many Afghanistan men lived in Finland in 2017?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,332 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Mayo County Council going rogue.

Unprecedented move.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,332 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Roderic said on the radio today plans for reception centres will come to Cabinet "in the coming weeks".

Is this really acceptable?

How is he escaping criticism for his failings?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭GetupyeaBowsie

People talking about vetting -

How some posters are turning a blind eye to this is completely bonkers!

Many countries/unions around the world request vetting to stop

. People smugglers

. Terrorists

. Dangerous offenders

. Bad actors

It's a very basic ask to protect our society, it shouldn't be a left vs right debate! The points some posters mentioned about "John" in Cork isn't vetted" is mind boggling, countries don't vet their citizens(Maybe N.Korea) they arrest/monitor them should they break the law.

RTE radio Colm O'Mongain(can link this if asked) interviewed a psychologist the past weekend whom helped fleeing refugees. Colm mentioned some Women/females could be concerned regarding the attitudes some refugee's may have towards them, psychologist skipped over the question imo.

In Sweden, male refugees from different cultures are entered into educational programs regarding society/cultural norms etc...Hopefully we're providing the same educational values to refugees when people are arriving here but I'm not holding my breath. Government have created a complete shitshow created tensions/fear within communities.

Mentioned before on here, Immigration is a must but this government needs to stop finger pointing/name calling and take some responsibility. Same I find in here, some very good points are discussed but theirs nothing but name calling/ finger pointing its pretty childish.

Yeah a picture paints a thousand words, the take em all in brigade hate factual graphs like that- bless em.

Oh, it's as far back as 2017 is it? yeah probably a non issue since!

I can tell from the graph that afghanis are 40 times more likely than native Finn's to commit sexual crimes. Tells me all I need to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Scar001

A minority in our own country in less than 30 years - how disgusting.

The most anti Irish government since the foundation of the state.

"Fine Gael" my arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,752 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

It’s nothing more than prejudice. DarkJager earlier claimed that there was no information about the people being accommodated in the old Salesians school located in one of the wealthiest parts of Limerick city, claimed that the girl’s school is still there (it’s not), and even linked to an article in which it was made clear that it is Ukrainians who will be accommodated there.

From the article linked:

A FORMER Limerick school is set to become a temporary home for those feeling the war in Ukraine.

The former Salesian school building at Fernbank will be used as a temporary accommodation centre for up to 251 Beneficiaries of Temporary Protection who are fleeing the war in Ukraine.

Owners of the site, Limerick Twenty Thirty, have entered into an agreement with the Department of Children, Equality, Disability, Integration, and Youth to use for an 18-month period, with the centre to open in January.

It was confirmed by the Limerick Post that local councillors were briefed on the decision to use the site, which will be staffed on a 24/7 basis.

https://archive.ph/qadaO

You can't possibly be holding Sweden up as a model to be followed.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭GetupyeaBowsie

Never said it's a model to be followed, mentioned they've educational programs for refugees to help understand western society norms and values after a wave of assaults on woman.

Well aware Sweden has voted in more right-wing government regarding the backlash on failed immigration policies. Unfortunately, we're following the same path but I don't want far right/left to fix this but some copping-on and taking responsibility on the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,252 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Cuddihy and Coleman et al spend their time tut-tutting and labelling anyone with genuine concerns as at best, deluded and mistaken and at worst the usual brickbat of "far right".

At least Pat Kenny asks a few tough questions instead of nodding along to whichever government representative's waffle and Barry Whyte comes out with some insightful and balanced viewpoints.

https://www.newstalk.com/news/barry-whyte-were-fuelling-the-far-right-by-ignoring-immigration-concerns-1619253

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭baldbear

Why are so many people flying into this country from other EU countries and then destroying their documents?

Why Ireland? What are we doing different?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,548 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Good to see the folks in Roscrea are talking no crap from D4 heads in RTE trying to bait them in interviews.

Kinda funny they asked Michael O Keefe who would be one of the people they say is far right could they use the videos he filmed in Roscrea and ended up looking a bit red faced when he made the tweet public.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,289 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Green Party Joe O'Brien was on the Six One news today talking about protesting communities "literally rolling out the red carpet to bad actors and to people with potential criminal intent". He doesn't care about the people of Roscrea, he's just interested in the welfare of the migrants. He was asked, "Do you understand though why the residents in Roscrea would be angry, or would be upset, about the only hotel they have in the town, a place where they have weddings, people had jobs, that's now being taken away from them?"

His response, "I can understand why people might be angry, I can understand why people might be upset, I can understand why people might have questions, BUT(that's enough about the people of Roscrea, right? Back to pontificating on behalf of the asylum seekers, even though that wasn't part of the question or who you were elected to represent), I frankly, I don't understand why people might feel it's appropriate to intimidate vulnerable people, vulnerable families, who are looking for protection, who are trying to get into shelter, and trying to get into their home."

I read he's Minister of State at the Department of Rural and Community Development with special responsibility for Community Development and Charities. Well done Joe, what a great job you're doing for the electorate. 🙄 I must watch the interview again more closely.

I hate the condescending $h1t€ that oozes out of Leo and Michael's holes, about the boogey "right wing" man. The people of Roscrea are ordinary Irish people, they're not some crazed right wing vigilantes, they are not "intimidating vulnerable people" and they are protesting peacefully. Or how the government must double down on their efforts of educating Irish people that all this neverending immigration is perfectly fine.

Post edited by sligeach on

No.it doesn't say that. It states that the statistics in 2017 said that.

How many Afghanistan makes were in Finland in 2017? Without knowing that, the figures mean nothing.

Were afghanis and Iraqis 40 times more likely than native finns to commit sexual offences in 2017? Yes or no?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Green Party Joe O'Brien was on the Six One news today talking about "bad actors" and external influences

Yea saw it, had that interview in mind. He had a look on his face that read I know no one is buying this, but I have to say it anyway.

seeing the absolute horror that unfolded in Sweden in the past 20 years, it's very sobering to know that we are on the exact same path even though everyone knows where it will lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,955 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Roderic O'Gorman must have a super job lined up for himself in the UNHCR. He's just waiting for a few good references.

It doesn't matter.

Because for all we know there were zero Afghanistan men that sexually assaulted anyone in any other years. That's how statistics work.

How many Afghanistan makes were in Finland in 2017? Without that info we're done here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

So how do you propose this "vetting" take place?

If people are coming from countries without police databases etc or legitimately without documentation how can they be "vetted"?

And just because countries currently don't vet their own citizens or EU citizens doesn't mean you wouldn't want them to, I mean if women's safety was your genuine concern?

And again, what other campaigns around sexual violence or women's safety have you, or others so concerned about "vetting", been involved with?

It seems remarkably to me all these people so concerned with just one aspect of women's safety!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

Yeah & what’s really eye opening is the patterns here, it’s like somebody has all of them in their back pocket.

Huge problems In all these organisations we haven’t even heard of yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭mauries wigs

It absolutely matters. Tell that to the next woman attacked by one in Finland.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement