Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Messi still winning best player awards

• 16-01-2024 10:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭

I see Fifa handed Messi another Best Player award, despite the fact that he's now playing in a league that is substantially lower in quality than most. He's competing against some part time players on tiny wages.

I'm wondering are they going to be handing him awards when he's 50, and playing 5 a side with his mates. They seem to have the love for him.

Guys like Kane, Mbappe, Bellingham, Vini Jr, Rodri, Haaland etc must be wondering what they have to do to be recognised.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Is it for the 2023 calendar year? If so, its shocking. How is what Messi doing in the States better than what Ronaldo is doing in Saudi Arabia?

And we thought Blatter was corrupt...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Wasn’t this voted on by players? If so hardly a matter of fifa corruption.

pretty sure I’ve seen lists of international captains and their top 3 votes online. I doubt the likes of Kane are wondering what they have to do for recognition if they’re the ones voting for Messi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

to be fair, just between the two of them Messi at least won the league with PSG, and the Leagues Cup with Miami as top scorer, both in 2023, so should be ahead of Ronaldo alright - but neither should be within a million miles of winning this award. There are so so many more worthy winners beyond the two auld lads.

Hard to call it corruption too, since it’s voted on by international managers and captains, with all the votes public. More just good ‘ol fashioned inherent biases and laziness/ignorance. All of Kane, Robertson, Aaron Ramsey and Johnny Evans voted for Messi - you’d wonder how many of them actually knew the World Cup win wasn’t meant to be considered.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Like saying he was off in the US and comparing that to Suadi is a bit weird, seen as he played the full season with PSG first, and I think it's partly if not all down to the World Cup, even though that was the tail end of 2022.

But to go back to the Saudi/US thing, I mean he went into an absolutely dogshit team mid-season and just dragged them to a cup win, and if he could have played a few more games he'd have dragged them to the playoffs too. It's one thing to go to a retirement village league, it's another thing to play your full season in Europe, then go to the retirement league and play another 15 games, where you absolute shred your opponents, all while having won a world cup mid-season.

I think being appalled at this is weird.

Like, he definitely got the award because of the World Cup - but that’s specifically not supposed to count. He won this same award last year for the World Cup.

Haaland (who finished second) was obviously far more deserving for what this award was actually meant to be for.

That’s the problem with an award done with this sort of voting, where the players in particular are probably not paying much attention to the specifics of what they’re meant to be judging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I wasn't aware it was voted on players and managers so I'll reel my outrage in somewhat, though I'd question the judgement of so many football professionals.

It still feels like fanboyism/a popularity contest. If its solely 2023, he hasn't been playing at the highest levels. At least the MLS is more balanced than the PSG-dominated French league but I'd argue the average quality of French teams/players is better than the MLS average. And the French league is still behind other European leagues.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

No question Ligue 1 is better than MLS, and imo no question this is his last award like this. He certainly wouldn't have been my first choice, annual awards that are based on bits of seasons are a bit awkward, but I guess leagues across the world are taking place at different times so there's no simple to that either.

Definitely the last, and I don't think anyone particularly considers this "Fifa Best" thing as particularly prestigious yet anyway either, so not a huge deal. But just a mad insight into players and managers thinking (or lack thereof).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

I would have given it to Rodri myself.

Seamus Coleman voted for KDB and Kenny for Haaland. KDB shouldnt be in the running imo.

Yeah, looking through some of the voting, you'd wonder what some people are thinking. But I guess when it comes to players voting for other players within their own league maybe they're basing some of their decision on personal interactions etc. Maybe Seamus thinks Kev is a particularly sound fella or something.

In general, I don't think players are the best positioned people to make good choices on it anyway, since most will be hyper focused on what they're doing themselves, rather than other players in other leagues etc (though i'd have thought the managers would be ideal - but they seem to make a lot of mad calls too)

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I don't get why is nearly always an attacking player( well I do) but midfield and defence are way too often overlooked with a handful of rare exceptions

Agree, kinda reminds me of eurovision, alot of tactical voting happening. Some of it a bit strange but it’s probably to be expected. Messi voted Haaland but when him and Ronaldo were at their peak I think they always voted a club mate rather than their rival. Actually Ronaldo didn’t vote in this one, Pepe did for Portugal and he went for Bernardo Silva for some bizarre reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Just another to add to the list of undeserved awards by Messi tbf (note, this does not mean he has not won countless duly deserved awards)

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭larchielads

Ederson got keeper of the year yet courtois is in the team of the year ahead of him, did i read that right??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

"lower in quality than most"

Hundreds of leagues exist. How is MLS lower quality than most?

Anyway, some voters have a bias towards Messi and some don't understand the criteria.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Rodri or Haaland were the best players in the world last year, its nonsense to suggest anyone else.

Advertisement