Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinn Fein and how do they form a government dilemma

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,948 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

What does 'running after the Apple money mean? That case is still not settled.

And you provided zero on SF 'turning their backs on FDI'

Try again.

2011 and the New Politics nonsense. Multiple cock ups and failures since. And then somebody tries to make out only one party here is 'incompetent'. A party that has never been in power. Laughable really.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Right. Will ffg ever sort the housing , health, law and order crisis etc? Nah didn't think so.... Will sf probably not, the ptiond we gave are abysmal, but telling ffg that constant endless failure will be rewarded at the ballot box, isnt a viable strategy either...

The sensationalism again.

Has the country got problems, yes, it has.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,951 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Except Fine Gael are not losing votes, they are still at the same level as the last general election.

Get your facts right first, before making a point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,467 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Did they get rewarded at the ballot box last time? don't think so.

Voting in a shower of incompetent TD's who you know are incompetent but they are a "change" isn't the answer either is it?

Im sure you will find out what it means on the many many google search you get up to.

Already provided, as usual we don;t need 100 posts on every topic with your nonsense. Thank you

Sinn Fein went into power in DCC, promising to build houses/apartments etc. Ended up by the end of term with less units than they started. Incompetent.

as usual we don;t need 100 posts on every topic with your nonsense. 

Sure sign you know you have been caught out when you use this line.

Whenever you find anything where SF say they will 'turn their backs on FDI' do post it.

Sinn Fein went into power in DCC, promising to build houses/apartments etc. Ended up by the end of term with less units than they started. Incompetent.

Someday google the differences between a sovereign government and a county council.

So what does it mean when the government have promised again and again to sort out the problems here - they have had years to do it - problems still exist.

Incompetent?

Out roll the excuses.

I don’t have time for 100 posts, the nonsense you post on every topic nobody has. Going around and around in circles. So it has to be point out

Basically your debating tactic if the government is criticised or if you are asked to provide back up is to switch to something else.

Not a very credible way to debate.

• Advertisement

“Debate”? Posting nonsense hour on end is not debating.

Anything posted about Sinn Fein is responded with “but but ‘insert party’”

it’s nonsense. You just don’t like it pointed out and would prefer everyone to sit online going in circle. Sorry have a job, family, etc so no time for it.

Sinn Feina re incompetent, your response is “but but” and nothing to say they are not.

I have asked you to post back up for the claim 'SF will turn their backs on FDI'

So far we have got nothing from the poster who made the claim and from you we have got something about Apple,

SF raising taxes,

SF failing at housing in DCC, a county council.

Now it is you who is avoiding and posting nonsense because you simply won't admit the claim made cannot be backed up.

*All political party's are incompetent at times. Those who have been in power do the most damage via their incompetence. I know it feels edgy to keep shouting this as if it is an exclusive SF trait but the facts show it simply isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭pureza

Oh for heavens sake,the assertion above that Sinn Féin would turn their back on FDI is based on the stuff posters have already said equates to that (taxing high earners needed more,making doing business more expensive via higher employers prsi etc)

Asking for a specific statement from Sinn Féin to that affect is silly,morass and frankly a disingenuous request

It's a strawman

But then again debate isn't prime in this thread

Party political broadcasting is,it seems

Surely the strawman is that raising personal taxes is turning your back on FDI.

I listed some countries who have done that and are still seeking and getting FDI. As I said, I can find no evidence of either corporate flight or personnel flight from those countries. The things that we are told will happen here if SF raise taxes.

If I am wrong, it's very simple. Show me how I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

The irony about high earners being over taxed... yeah sure no change from fg then...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭pureza

I don't think you want be shown what jumps out as stated in my last post to be honest,well actually I do think you know what's wrong and what jumps out,but just want to ignore pesky stuff like that again and again in favour of your straw man

The poster seems to want to have 100s of post on every topic/subject, waffle around for hours on end getting explained everything in detail. The majority of people, me included, have a life and better thing to do than explain every single word in a post to the minute degree.

Thanks for explaining but Im 100% sure the poster knew what you clarified but they just wanted to go back and forth for another 30 posts on it. Like they did responding again to you again.

Where has corporate flight and personnel flight happened because taxes were raised?

Where have countries who have raised income tax rates stopped looking for FDI or stopped getting it

It has either happened before or it is sensationalising and scaremongering.

Judging from the countries listed they have found a balance between what is required in tax income and maintaining FDI investment.

I had posted before about Sinn Fein failure to build houses during their run in DCC. Of course the excuses flowed, the usual one was DCC had no money to build.

Turns out DCC had been given money, to the tune of 292m, yet no houses. Plus they managed to build up over 40m in rent arrears while only removing one tenant

Not sure how anyone could think this party has any idea how to resolve any crisis, let alone the housing one

What is the claim here? That the Shinners caused the housing crisis?

The facts are that government policy led to a decline in social housing provision across every council and municipal district in the country and it was happening long before SF in DCC as the graph below shows.

Figure 1 illustrates the decline in the construction of social housing directly by the government. In 1975 local authorities built 8,794 social housing units, which accounted for one-third of the total new housing provision that year. This building trend was reduced to 5,559 in 2005, which equalled just 6% of the housing provided, and in 2015 the state built just 75 units (Byrne and Norris 2017), a shockingly low number considering that the number of people living in homelessness increased by 30% compared to October 2016 (DHPLGH 2017).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,951 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

You are absolutely correct.

You believe that it was incompetence on the part of Sinn Fein to fail in Dublin City Council. I accept that there was a degree of incompetence, but it was also accompanied by a lot of malevolence. They wanted housing policy to fail so that their online trolls on twitter and elsewhere could blame the government and claim that DCC couldn't do anything because of the government and that a county council could do nothing. The much better record of Fingal County Council during that time, when Sinn Fein and the lefties didn't get control shows that Sinn Fein argument to be nothing more than another lie. They were simply willing to sacrifice the interests of the people of Dublin City for their party political goals.

But you don't have to look just at DCC for evidence of Sinn Fein's incompetence and malevolence. Stormont in the North is full of examples. What I would say to posters is that if a political party displays incompetence and malevolence towards the ordinary people while running a county council or a devolved government, how can you expect them to step up and do any better in government?

They wanted housing policy to fail so that their online trolls on twitter and elsewhere could blame the government

So a countrywide problem developing before and after SF's tenure in Dublin is down to SF wanting housing to fail?

How did they recruit all the other areas to fail?

Are the posters to take cognisance of the failures of any other party's who 'controlled' councils?

Did someone mention 'excuses'?

We were told breathlessly that:

Problem is, after the meetings,business people don't believe them and the advice being given right left and centre in the busiiness world is to protect yourself against a Sinn Féin government now while you still can

Business people are Savvy like that

Yet with the distinct possibility SF will be a part of government this happens:

'Savvy' stuff alright.

That's just proving what a good job the current government is doing at attracting FDI

It also shows there is little fear of the future because ‘savvy’ people right left and centre don’t take risks etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 18,111 ✭✭✭✭rob316

On the original question, they can't form a government.

The immigration issue is pulling SF voters away to other parties and independents. Their vote is been split, I expect them to do far worse in the next GE.

Less votes for SF leave the coalition the only viable government in place. FF and FG are hitched for life now, too strong together for any other government.

The other question is would FF or FG do business with SF if it comes to it? FF I could see, no chance FG.

No it doesn't. The current government is in place and for all the companies can see it can continue.

Trying to claim this as a sign that FDI is not concerned about Sinn Fein is hilarious. But honeslty not unexpected with the amount of nonsense posted on here

Nobody knows till next election. At an educated guess I have said FF won't. This is because the grassroots won't allow FF plus a number of TD's who would walk if FF went to SF.

In terms of the FF & FG, no idea if they will or won't but declaring they are "hitched for life" seems a big call to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,459 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...oh im not so sure about that, i think when it comes to it on the day, people will run from ffg, with votes ending up moving towards sf from direct and indirect(transfers etc)......

tis well in the post now, ffg have managed to p1ss a hell of a lot of people off....

• Advertisement

It has been claimed:

There will be corporate flight and personnel flight if SF raise taxes yet no evidence of this happening elsewhere has been presented.

Then we were told that savvy business people right left and centre are responding to the prospect of SF being in government yet they are continuing to invest in the future here.

As I said, as scaremongering goes this is not very competent stuff.

Advertisement