Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Rameis.

I don't excuse anyone committing criminal acts.

I would expect him to be prosecuted, if convicted serve his time and then be deported.

No idea what's with your personal abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,001 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Look at Sweden's crime stats. Look at Cologne on New Year's Eve several years ago. Look at the general attitude to women or LGBT in the Arab and Maghreb countries. Why would you want to import people with those attitudes?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I thinks it’s quite shocking how the Government have failed to read the room . Many of these protests are not all about immigrants but about not being heard . Its about ordinary peoples frustration and despair and not being listened to

Its about peoples worries about lack of creche places , lack of support for home carers , lack of GPs and the impossibility getting an appointment . Its about peoples hurt seeing elderly left on hospital trollys and the utter audacity of the Government telling us no elderly should be longer than 24 hours on a trolley as if this was an acceptable thing to aspire to

Its about ordinary people quite simply realising that the Government doesn’t give a toss about them or their concerns or worries and being more interested in looking good while waiting for the EU big jobs

Its about people needing to vent frustration at the strain on all health services , education , school transport , supports for those who badly need it like carers and the disabled , and no one is listening to them .

This Government have lost all grip on the reality facing people and when they show that disregard and ignore peoples concerns then it leads to these protests

And the Government failed spectacularly to actually see this

so you don't know how many Afghanistan men were in Finland in 2017, but you just make up a number of between 5,000 & 8,000.

based on what exactly?! Nothing!

you don't know how many were there in 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

You do know the graph is actually from a Tabloid newspaper right?

From Google translating the article it appears based on that journalists own analysis, as opposed to any direct police source. That journalist even qualifies the reporting with

With different choices and weightings, different figures would be obtained. For example, age stabilization would lower the coefficient somewhat, because a disproportionately large number of Iraqis and Afghans staying in Finland are young men.

My biggest initial concern with it statistically is that it appears to be deriving it's ratios based on citizenship as opposed to residency.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dmakc

Answer this one for me please;

Are IPAs more, equally or less likely to land at Dublin Airport with no identification, than every other category of traveller? (per 1,000 people lets say)

Are you talking about the thousands of unvetted UK and EU citizens?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

What are you posting a nationality score chart from Finland from ? Irrelevant . Who did they attack ? What was the relationship to the perpetrator...that's the point ?

Here" s what I was talking about ...women being attacked by their own families , friends ...75% know their attacker . Not strangers, not single "unvetted males " .

If your statistics or the RCC's show those trends changing in the future then I am listening..

But as another poster put it well ..

"Tell me, and this applies to all the others so interested in protecting us from "unvetted migrants"...

What other campaigns around sexual violence have you been involved with?" @Working class heroes

Obviously more likely.

and the reasons why asylum seekers might arrive with no documents has been posted here many many Times.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,332 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Egyptian asylum seeker on Prime Time advising other asylum seekers not to come here.

But he says he's not going home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Do tell us how many Afghan nationals were in Finland in 2017 .....

Considering that you tell us how factual you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Roscrea protestors are absolute legends.

If illegal mass immigration had benefits - RTE would show and tell them daily.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Glebee

An Guarda statements on Prime Time are off the wall....

If the government buys an abandoned hotel for the community which is being proposed tonight, this is completely bonkers.

Surely they could just use the disused hotel for the refugees.

Madness.

Jesus wept, government are going to buy a hotel for the town of Roscrea.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,596 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Quite a balanced piece so far and trying to see things from the point of view of protesters.

I didn't realise Mattie McGrath has gone full on fruitcake / loon though - repeating stuff about Ireland being 'colonised' and Varadkar, Martin and McDonald taking their orders from the 'WEF'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

OK that's a different country, what's the point? I was debating some figures posted about Finland. I was debating how the figures were being challenged rather than the notion that immigrants are more likely to be rapists.

The government policy is the fault here.

The government keep picking country hotels and ruining small towns.

Where are these reception centres?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

No

Not at all. Garda vetting is nothing to do with visas

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Now they will offer it but at the last minute declare it emergency accommodation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

In fairness what reception centres they build would probably be sabotaged or burned down in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,539 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Jesus, this bloke on Prime Time is having a mare. This is car crash material.

Simple question, why would any IPA destroy legal travel documents in transit? In what way would that help their asylum application? Other than to obfuscate the asylum process here in Ireland in the hope to exploit known weaknesses in our system when said IPA knows that they do not have a legitimate claim to asylum.

Buying a hotel for the community is Father Ted stuff.

Farce.

This is absolutely scandalous stuff.

You mean the figures from this Tabloid article which somebody has listed on Wikipedia as Finnish Police statistics.

The point is some people like to talk about fake stats from Nordic countries as evidence of a supposed risk from Asylum Seekers. I thought that was clear.

Thank you, it tends to be a widely accepted fact that women are most likely to be subjected to sexual assault by someone known to them, most likely a partner. Care to engage with any of my comments on the statistics with respect to the rate of sexual offence by Afgan migrants in Finland?

Ah, I see what you did there, and yes I see how someone could deduce that based on nothing but statistics.

But asylum seekers have reasons, as posted previously for not producing travel documents.

It's not the same at all as saying , e.g. 30 Afghanistan men committed rapes, and there were 1000 Afghanistan men there, therefore they are more likely to commit rapes, then local men. It just means that particular year had 30 Afghanistan male sexual offenders.

You can't compare statistics and figures like that. If I said in 2019 there were more burglars from longford then any other county, you can't decide there are more under 17s in Csrlow likely to leave school early.

Government are on course for a shellacking in the upcoming European and local elections....

• Advertisement

I'll make the point again...

You mean the stats from a tabloid newspaper article, the author of which even qualified that are not representative?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement