Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭TokTik

Everyone without scales on their eyes have quickly figured out how Hasbara works now. Make a huge claim, ignore the backlash to it and keep claiming it’s true, once evidence contradicts it, make another outrageous claim and rinse and repeat. Plenty of useful idiots will believe and repeat them.

Social media has killed the effectiveness of Hasbara.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

What evidence contradicts that rapes happened? On the contrary, seems like there is plenty of evidence they did. The UN agrees as well as reputable outlets like the BBC and nyt

Or maybe all the naked women weren't actually raped? The girl we all saw with blood soaked pants just sat in some red paint? What's more likely?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,816 ✭✭✭SeanW

• Registered Users Posts: 13,445 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

You mean the claim that there were no rapes? Seriously? Have a word with yourself. Everyone knows how the big lie works, it's not new.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭dmcdona

What Raphael Lemkin thought (or thinks if he's still alive) is a moot point.

There is a Genocide Convention which clearly defines genocide. The ICJ hears evidence then adjudicates with reference to the evidence given and the genocide definition.

it is perfectly possible the ICJ will find that genocide was not committed if the actions of Israel are shown not to have met the definition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭comerla

The only thing vaguely close to 21st century Holocaust denial is the Genocide denial we saw last week.

I've read enough unsubstantiated accounts of ridiculous unbelievable sexual violence that has no credibility whatsoever thanks.

Funny how much this rubbish is being helpfully pushed by concerned citizens on this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,566 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Unbelievable sexual violence?

Sexual violence and rape are a well known tactic of war and unfortunately take place in all conflicts. It's a weapon of war and all sides use it.

Denying rape, when we currently have victims telling us that it happened is disgusting.

You'd better get on the UN , the BBC , nyt et al then and let them know that the evidence they saw with their own eyes is actually ridiculous and unbelievable.

Must be great to live in a world where such sexual violence can be hand waved away as "ridiculous", unfortunately those who have suffered it don't have that luxury. The vast majority of those who suffered at the hands of the terrorists Hamas are dead. Raped, tortured and mutilated. Convenient for you that they can't speak about what happened to them. The evidence was left behind though and has been corroborated by witness testimony and verified by independent agencies.

People who deny rape and sexual abuse and tell victims they arent believable are absolute scum. People who deny it happened on October 7 are this centuries holocaust deniers, as stated above. They use the same tactics.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Hey boy

Note to regular posters who deny that posters on here deny the rapes. Here is a strident denier defending his/her position.

Also note the thankers who presumably appreciate the sentiments.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,506 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The quest to retcon Hamas into "freedom fighters" has meant reality is ignored hence the rabid denial of rape. Thats been constant.

• Advertisement

It was the "antisemitic" word you used. That applies to Jews only. Hence my question.

If you think that it is dishonest of me to ask it, so be it. Shame really - you're an honest debater.

They are rather sweeping statements there based on one very recent poster who denied rapes happened on Oct 7.

Care to share the names of the regular posters here who deny that other posters deny rapes? I can't recall any.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭combat14

any update on have hamas returned the hundreds of hostages they took on 7 oct yet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

I'm not sure who you are referring to with that post but I have called out other posters who were denying rapes occurred on 7 October. It's no different with this one, they clearly have no idea what they're talking about and their view is reprehensive. You probably won't be able to understand that I have a nuanced view on this but whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I believe about 100 were freed under the hostage-prisoner exchange in November but none since then. Pity for the hostages ,they didnt continue with these exchanges.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,338 ✭✭✭volchitsa

OK then, one more attempt:

You asked "Whose side are you on, the Jews or the Israelis?", and I said that IMO that was a false dichotomy, because Jews living abroad are the victims of increasing antisemitic attacks even though they are not Israelis and are not responsible for the IDF in Gaza. So people who claim that anger "at Israel" in the west is just in protest at Israel's attacks on Gaza are being disingenuous. Because if it were really just anger at the IDF's actions in Gaza why would British, French or American Jews be attacked for something they are not responsible for? Therefore there is an antisemitic element to the "anger" which is against all Jews everywhere, not just Israelis.

Your reply to that was "So you don't care about the 25% of Israelis who are not Jews?" WTAF has that got to do with what I said? It looks to me like you thought you had some sort of gotcha. You really don't: it's a completely different issue, and not what I was replying to. So it doesn't seem like an honest reply.

But maybe you have an explanation?

The UN, BBC and NYT saw mass rape with their own eyes?

Any hostages were treated with respect. Most of the rape 'victim's who were supposedly affected were killed by Israeli tanks and hellfire missiles launched from Apaches.

All of those pieces you cite are not proper journalism. I cancelled my NYTimes account once I read what they had published.

I haven't seen any credible accounts from victims; just very inconsistent narratives originating from Proven liars (the Israeli state).

Call me scum if you like but at this stage I do not believe anything that comes from Zionists.

Good.

Totally agree with your first main para.

In fairness to you, you're absolutely right (WTAF). I actually didn't read your statement properly the first time and shot off a smart question from the hip. You didn't deserve it and I'm sorry.

I think I had a residual of another post where the the poster was banging on about Jews in Israel. I have a major bee on my bonnet about that because it excludes the other 25% of Israeli citizens.

Your point was a worldwide one - not Israel.

fair play to you for giving it another go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

The hostages weren't treated well. The ones who said that had Hamas guns pointed at them at the time. They were beaten, assaulted, drugged, barely got any food and denied medical treatment. Some were tortured before being killed (the photos Hamas released themselves showed this, despite the claims that they were killed by bombing, the torture injuries are clearly visible such as removed fingers). Did you see the photos of the teen girls still being held? They don't look like they're being treated well. They look almost catatonic and clearly severely traumatized. You're deluding yourself. Hamas are terrorists scum akin to isis who would probably murder you in a heartbeat too if they had the chance.

• Advertisement

Where are you getting this rubbish?

They have been given as much food and medicine as can be sourced. The only ones who have died have been killed by Israelis.

Hamas are acting in entirely understandable ways given what the people of Gaza and Palestine have gone through. Israelis kidnap and detain Palestinians every day without cause or process, so this is equivalent.

Note that Hamas tried peaceful protest a few years back and the people were shot for it.

The Israelis are a lot more likely to murder me (or anyone else including other Israelis) if I was in the region; that is a fact.

"no one is defending Hamas on this thread". This gets said every few days so anyone who's ever said it just needs to look above there.

What a load of bullshit.

I can understand Hamas actions. If I lived there under those conditions with family killed etc I would be out there with them.

can you understand Israel’s actions? I think they’re a lot less defensible.

Interesting: you'd kidnap a 9 month old baby and keep it in a filthy tunnel for months?

You know that's definitely a war crime, right? Or do you think it's ok when Hamas (and presumably you) commit war crimes?

No of course I wouldnt defend that.

How many Palestinian babies have been wilfully butchered in response though?

But you said you'd be out there with Hamas - there were no Israeli bombs falling on Gaza when Hamas kidnapped Kfir Bibas. So you're supporting that. Because Hamas are not trying to save Gazan children, they're trying to murder and kidnap Israeli babies. They've said so themselves.

Israel's airstrikes are a response to those attacks - because Hamas said they'd do the same again.

Just because the operation by Israel is a response to Hamas war crime doesn't mean that Israel may not be committing war crimes of it own. Both sides in any conflict may commit war crimes.

You seem to be able to acknowledge that Hamas killed babies but not acknowledge that Israel is also killing Gazan babies.

You did defend it though when you said "I can understand Hamas' actions" and "Hamas are acting in entirely understandable ways "

Nah that’s not what I said.

The poster said he supported Hamas’ actions. I pointed out that this includes deliberately kidnapping a 9month old baby. There is no situation in which that can ever be justified - so if he defends Hamas’ actions, he’s defending the kidnap of babies. Literally.

That’s not a defence of Israel’s actions since then. It’s just a statement of fact. There were no bombs falling onGaza when Hamas kidnapped Kfir Bibas. Future bombs cannot be used to justify that act.

• Advertisement

I think people know what the chain of event are since the 7 October attack. It doesnt matter who starts a conflict but how both parties act in the conflict. They both must be judged in the same way.

You accuse Hamas of killing babies, which I believe they did do, and the poster of supporting it. Do you acknowledge that Israel is doing the same in Gaza now? And if so do you support it?

You may just refer to it as collateral damage but that is just a PR term for civilian deaths.

Advertisement