Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Room to Improve (v2)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,324 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

If they did that of course.

The couples don't edit the show. We have no clue what really goes on in the build.

All we really know from the show is that DB didn't seem to have much of an understanding of the grants, yet despite that, it didn't stop him from factoring the grants in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,743 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

My sister is currently in the UAE and if they said it I think we'd have picked up on it.

Personally I think there a hard working young couple and they may have a bit extra than some and that's life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,700 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Or an inheritance they may not want to mention or mammy daddy money.

So many reasons the financials are fudged or made up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭bfclancy2

why shouldn't they get the grant, its not means tested nor should it be, to be honest its their taxes being used to fund it, stop being bitter that people did well for themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Francis McM

I could'nt care less where they got their own money from. But as Dermot Bannon said a few weeks ago, this seasons shows are all about the grants. So many people around the country are thinking of upgrading heating or insulation or maybe doing a small renovation or even getting an old cottage or house and doing it up.

The show is not transparent, far from it. I would say it is even murkier than trying to find what Tubs was paid by RTE. A school teacher and a business owner that can afford to blow approx 700k ( between the house cost of 303k and building of the "new-build" as the q.s. called it ) getting an extra 100k of grants in order to build a better Bannon glass box extension is not aging well. And not just that, most people inc neighbours are of the opinion the house was not vacant for the 2 years?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,700 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I think for starters that the show has not caused much of a stir bar among a few.

It's an entertainment, if somebody cods themselves that because x got a grant then y and they should too in a situation which is so variable and site specific, then maybe they shouldn't be embarking on the grant route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

Room To Defraud.

Not the point. It is funds collect from all our taxes. If someone gets €99,000 tax free in grants that there is confusion about (some would say they should not have got and they may have lied in order to do so) , it is up to the programme producers to clarify the situation.

Otherwise can the rest of us not have €99,000 too please?

To date, the silence from RTE is deafening. The programme was supposed to explain what grants are available and to whom etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭ec18

yes you can have 99,000 provided you renovate a derelict/vacant property and apply for the grand in a way to be awarded the sum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,391 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

If that logic holds, all a savvy home owner needs to do is vacate their property for a couple of years, arrange for a bit of water damage. Meanwhile rent at say €18K a year, €36K and then claim €99K - net benefit €54K. That's better than any SSIA ever was. Going by this, the SEAI grants really need to be ramped up so that honest homeowners can avail of this sort of public funding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭ec18

They don't just give you the 99K there is limits for what can be claimed for different parts of the renovation. so yes it would be a net gain provided you spent that on the renovation.

Some on here are acting like they got the 99,000 just into their bank account. It has to be spent first and included in a planning application. some people are acting like they stole the money to go on holiday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,391 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

No that's fully understood. However one of the issues for ordinary householders currently is how to afford the retrofitting work being promoted by the government. A solution seems to be a loan scheme which pushes the burden of costs onto the home owner. Joe Public would prefer a nice sweet deal like this couple I suspect.

Why should some people who spend money on renovations get €99,000 and other people who spend money on renovations not get 99,000, depending on peoples different definitions of derelict or vacant.

There were / are "more" vacant and "more" derelict houses elsewhere in the country refused grant money. Its like the "who you know" "Tubrity-RTE" " Galway races tent" "planning scandals" type of wink wink nudge nudge that annoys me. Why the inconsistencies in different areas?

99k net takes 200k gross to save / earn for most people, it is a lot to lose. Because you are not "inner circle"?

Correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

The guidlelines are easy to get and read on what the different grants are available

Do you have anything to back up statements that if "wink wink nudge nudge"?

Normally you find the reason someone hasn't got the grant is because they don't understand the process/applications etc. That's why the likes of a QS/Architect/ect who do this all the time will help fill in information to get the grants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭ax530

The usual suprise at costs, size of budget and where/how the extra money available if understandable and part of show at this stage.

But the issues with grants should be raised and questioned further as it public money. I for one will raise it with any politician I meet or who asks for votes ect.

Can't have a case where public money is being assigned incorrectly especially if done for sake of TV audiences.

Yes,I know someone who contacted the relevant person in the council who deals with the Vacant and derelict house grant. Their home was much more vacant / genuinely vacant for many years and much more derelict than the one we saw in Cashel on TV the other night. ( nobody could really say - with a straight face - the bungalow in Cashel was derelict ).

And a long discussion was had on the grant, and even though there was no question the house was properly vacant for a very long number of years and properly derelict / holes in roof / growth inside the house etc etc the potential applicant was told most definitely that they could not remove the rest of the roof or knock down wall, that the structure had to be kept. They could repair and refurbish, but not replace half or most of the house. The grant was for refurbishment, not to replace. That was a condition of the grant and was for environmental reasons too, he said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

So vague story with no facts and the system is corrupt

Got ya

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭mykrodot

its irrelevant what occupations the couple have and how much money they make. These grants are NOT means tested.

You do not even need water damage, by the look of it. Or vacate it for 2 years? And the gain would be more than €54k , as the rent lost is taxable ( and in much of the country would not be 18k a year anyway ), and the 99k in grants is tax free / would be like 99k in after tax income.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,061 ✭✭✭✭event

Yeah there are load of places to rent in Ireland, this is a fool proof plan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭hole in my lovelywall

They could be working full time since they’re 20/21. Any primary school teachers I know have always been sensible people.

Grants are there to be applied for. Anyone in their position would be stupid not to apply.

Do people not avail of the free book or gp schemes for their children because they can afford them?

A load of jealousy and begrudgery is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

Bought an unfinished house in 2016. Walls roof and windows. Any grants on that to help finish it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭Tow

99k worth according to Bannon, but you need to know how to word your applications.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭RurtBeynolds

Grant are there to be applied for but grants have restrictions. If you're knowingly bending the truth to get around the restrictions then that is simply wrong. End of.

Personally I'd like to see an episode where there's a family with an average 3 bedroom bungalow/semi-d.

They've a reasonable budget where they want to make the living area a bit brighter and and make the house more cosy.

Not this demolish the house and sort of an endless budet.

There's still also room for this wow episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Niall_76

Can people even do small renovations anymore? Bringing houses up to regulations seems to cost a fortune without doing anything else.

Well going by Room to Improve it looks hard. It's does seem off putting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,899 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Breaking story tonight now that they might have not had planning permission granted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭threetrees

It looks to me like the build was done without planning permission, there's an approved application in for retention, applied late 2023. I find it most weird that a DB build would go ahead for TV and promote grants without any planning permission. That's just plain wrong and up there with cowboy builders.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I couldn't find anything submitted by DB on the planning website before the build.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭touts

Planning permission "retention" was only granted 3 days before the show aired.

Combined with the unusual grant applications and this has the potential to finish Room To Improve as a series.

Advertisement