Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump discussion Thread IX (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Roe vs Wade is an actual policy/conviction thing though. A Horrible one for sure , but it's a policy thing they've been pursuing for years.

Helping Trump avoid Prison isn't that.

In doing so they open a door they can never close - I just can't see them doing it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

To be honest, once I found out what the interpretation was in Roe v Wade that led to abortion be legal I was surprised it ever happened in the first place. The right to privacy meaning you have the right to get an abortion seems like a pretty big stretch especially seeing as they also said up until what point a person could seek an abortion. For the record, I am very much in favour of abortion being legal and think we didn't go far enough here. We should have enshrined the right to an abortion in the constitution not the ability for the government to just legislate for it. The supreme court in the US seem to base their interpretations of the constitution and their decisions based on what they want the ruling to be rather than what the constitution says. So yeah based on that and that the court being heavily Republican appointees (3 from Trump alone) means that I could see them ruling in Trumps favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,947 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I don't know what the answer is but considering the very public plans the Republicans have to utterly gut the federal government and limit democracy by every available means I'm getting closer everyday to being okay with it if Biden were to use absolute immunity to stop Trump were it granted to him thanks to Trump.

However then the problem is you prove all the conspiracy theories right and where does that lead?

I agree but then there's also the reality of Clarence Thomas and everything coming out about what he has received from republican lobbyists, also consider his wifes beliefs do you believe he doesn't share them?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Could Biden not use his absolute power to dispense with the sillyness of some bits of the constitution, and then as the last amendment he makes remove the one which gives future presidents absolute power.

• Advertisement

It's absolute immunity not absolute power so unless I'm mistaken he couldn't directly do that. He could use his immunity to somehow manipulate congress and the senate to pass an amendment that does what you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭political analyst

Near the end of the following article, John Bolton said:

"The republic has been around for over 240 years now. We’ve had our share of bad people in this country, and the republic is still here. I don’t think one man, however influential, is going to bring it down. You need to mobilize people for the fight ahead and not say it’s over."

• Registered Users Posts: 40,411 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I'm not sure the opinions of John Bolton are meant to be taken seriously

• Registered Users Posts: 11,627 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

And the beauty of that is, if Trump should decide to call his fanbase to a "peaceful rally" in DC on the date the USSC was to make public it's decision on whether or not the Presidency was a public office within the meaning of the wording of section 3 [Insurrectionists] of the 14th amendment, Biden would be warned in advance of the rally due to Trump & his Truth Social and able to have protective forces on site if Trump tried a reprise of 2020 as Trump's fanbase has form for random acts of violence.

No mix-up between federal agencies and the DC mayor leaving people in the lurch. No amount of physical distancing would get Trump off his actions this time around, no White House to hide out in watching it all unfold on TV.

Why? Bolton was already a veteran diplomat before Trump became president.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

But if they give the President "absolute immunity" , Biden could then openly bribe/threaten the House and Senate to approve the expansion of the Supreme court to whatever number he wants and then appoint lots of lackeys that have also all been bought off and bribed and get them to rule any which way he wants.

That is of course ridiculous , but it's the stupid genie that I don't think that even a SCOTUS as loaded with Right wing horrors as the current one , would want to let out of the bottle even if it does mean condemning Trump to conviction.

What's more important to them , saving the 30+ year project to remake America into Gilead or saving an ungrateful, petty, vindictive oaf from Prison?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,411 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I wouldn't trust him if he told me water was wet. The man is a fool.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Long Sean Silver

i don't think he'll become a dictator as some people suggest, but i do believe he has not forgotten all those who have crossed him. the only problem is the list is so long, you wonder where he will begin.

i do think Zelensky better pull his finger out. i fear it's too late. his much-vaunted 2023 Spring offensive never really took off. a negotiated settlement with Putin might be his best bet if Trump wins in 2024.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,331 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

It's even more surprising to me that at no time in the intervening made was an effort made to enshrine the right to abortion in proper legislation rather than rely on this legally dubious and reversible Supreme Court ruling. I mean presumably there must be compelling political/legal reasons why that never happened but they're not immediately apparent to me...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

No one wanted to politically touch it and it being a constant battleground in principle always suited both parties.

It was incredibly short-sighted and stupid though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I actually asked the same question (I think it was on reddit) and the reason is it is really, really difficult to change the US constitution. It needs 2/3s of the House and the Senate to vote in favour of it and it need 3/4 of the states to be in favour of it as well. For abortion, you just aren't going to get those numbers. Not even close. If they could do a referendum like we can here, then it would easily pass. If the opinion polls are accurate it wouldn't even be close.

You don't need to change the constitution. If anything the constitutional right to abortion was an absolute fudge, which is why it has been overturned.

Simple primary legislation to guaranteed federal access to abortion was doable at multiple times over the last 50 years. Obama had an insurmountable majority in Congress for 2 years. But no one wanted to go near it.

He had that majority in Congress but you need 60 in the Senate to get anything passed. He only had that a few months and he used it to get Obamacare through. He probably should have done it then but I guess they stupidly thought that abortion rights were sorted.

Have a read of what the Heritage foundation are prepping with project 2025, it might make you reconsider what America will look like longterm if he's elected.

Think Clinton and Carter technically had a shot at it too, but there was just no appetite for it from anyone. I don't think there was a realistic belief that it would actually be overturned and it suited both parties to keep it as a live issue.

• Advertisement

no doubt certain vested interests like the arms industry will not be happy. they love Biden. Unlike him, Trump refuses to waste trillions of USDs on foreign escapades that never seem to end well. NATO members will not be pleased. we here in Europe, especially Eastern states like Ukraine, Poland & the Baltic states will no longer be able to bank on America to protect them.

supporters of Israel might be in for a surprise too. is that such a bad thing? i think not.

people do not like change. but on balance i feel the world will be a better place if Biden loses.

No ethical prosecutor will agree to take a case against any of Trump's enemies - and I can't envisage there being many lawyers willing to do it. Besides, a federal judge would dismiss such a case as an abuse of process.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,956 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

All Trump needs is a few more indictments and sexual assault allegations to close the deal on his return to the White House. Trump was some what forgotten, and not in the mainstream news, until the Democrats cooked up this '' we''ll stop in court'' plan, it has backfired spectacularly, as it was so obvious what was happening, and the American people, judging by last nights voting, won't tolerate such abuse of power.

looks like somebody has spooked the horses in Sweden. looks like total over-reaction to me. very un-Swedish i would have thought.

https://www.straitstimes.com/world/europe/swedes-spooked-as-government-military-say-to-prepare-for-war

• Registered Users Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭Doc07

i have to concur. the more they indict him the more coverage he gets, and the more support he garners. he has played that card very well indeed. most of his base are conspiracy theorists, and believe the system is rigged. these cack-handed judicial forays merely confirms this in their minds. how long ago was he claimed he could shoot somebody in 5th Avenue and they would still vote for him? clearly he was right, and they were wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,956 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

No such thing as bad publicity, going after him in the courts trying to discredit him backfired. That fraud case is a joke, no one defrauded lol. Judge without a trial or jury found him guilty, claimed all his properties are worth little, Judge valued Mar a Lago at 18m for example, you'd not buy the land it sits on for that. Real Estate brokers in Florida are dumbstruck, it's value is at least 500m, Trump would say a Billion. It's all games, and it all backfired. A huge loss in all his cases wins him the White House in my opinion. Needs the Supreme Court judgement to go his way though, common sense says it will, preventing him from running would tarnish American for years

• Registered Users Posts: 17,911 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Trump had no issue ordering airstrikes on Assad, continued actions and airstrikes against ISIS, had a top Iranian commander taken out, came close to direct strikes on Iran and he didn't withdraw from Afghanistan during his tenure (only belatedly doing so).

With Ukraine, it's a no-brainer, the US has to pay vast sums to decommission old hardware and stock, instead they can ship it to Ukraine.

If Trump wins, he'll spend his entire presidency getting nothing done, exacting petty revenge, weaponising the justice system, attacking the free press, stacking positions with loyalists, fawning over authoritarian dictators and attacking US democracy in any way he can. We've been there, it was a complete clown show capped off with an actual insurrection, it will only be worse next time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

I can't believe anyone can follow US politics and look at Trump, RDS and Haley and think they will stand up to Israel, the GOP bar a few randoms such as Massie are incredibly compliant when it comes to Zionism.

Unfortunately if you are hoping for either party to stop been so useless when it comes to Israel you will have to wait a long time sadly.

Post edited by Rjd2 on

Advertisement