Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭cantalach

A 15-story office building is actually much closer in height to a 25-story apartment building than you might think because the individual floors are much higher in an office building. Height aside, the location, quantity, and size of things like lifts, stairs, bathrooms, etc. are also very different for practical and regulatory reasons. So the two planning cases here are quite distinct and unrelated, i.e. the offices application wasn’t just a modification to the original apartment application. It’s not simply a case of doing some minor paperwork to change the 15-story planning permission from offices to apartments. The news reports this week said that they would seek only to make minor changes to the original apartment permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 backwithabang

Maybe I am totally thinking different but I think the council should be pushing height, going anything lower than 15 is madness and they should actively push for 20 stories in the docklands, stop urban sprawl and push for dense population in the city

• Registered Users Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Longwinded way of saying that the proposed office tower was to be 77.5m high, whereas the proposed residential tower was to be just over 90m and that they aren't the same, which is pretty obvious.

The Elysian is 68m by comparison.

Interesting video on Vimeo of the residential tower as originally planned: https://player.vimeo.com/video/380454960?dnt=1&app_id=122963

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Timing belt

The higher you go the more costs per unit increases. So if council insist on 20 floors for buildings they would never be built.

Long term gain from short term pain

• Advertisement

How is it a long term gain if nothing built in the first place

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

Rents also very much climb as the building rises because of said build costs and of course the picturesque views of lads openly dealing drugs and homeless alcoholics pissing on the streets.

I get we need volume but not sure that sextant site is the best use of government subsidies if the top 10 floors are all 3k a month to rent even as "cost rental".

I also hope they stay within their site and have a good plan on how to not screw up traffic in that area for the years of construction, it's bad enough as it is!

People don’t care that the rents will be 3k a month or that these developments are going to be the equivalent of building a new suburb of 100% social housing and will have all the same issues. They don’t see the link of having to wait 12 hours in a&e or pot holes in roads all because money is spent subsidising a project that wouldn’t be economically feasible without the government check book.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭mrpdap

Ideally any necessary quay side improvements will be done without the flood relief scheme which would destroy the city centre. There are more viable alternatives such as a tidal barrier.

Missing the point, the splurge of apartment building is only happening cos of government grants and most likely low cost loans. Part of that payment should be higher density, ie taller buildings, to encourage more city living, less commuting need, more condensed services etc, the economy of town would see a huge boost also leading to a more livelier city

That's what I mean, that is the term gain for what will be more initial cost, which the government appear to be taking all the risk anyway

• Advertisement

No this is where the government need to grow a pair, if they supply a lot of risk, ie finance, grants etc, that needs to come.w8th stipulations, offices will fill out more in town if accom is available

Regarding drunks, drugs etc., that is a policing issue and is happening regardless of building height, that is very much a social and lack of policing issue

I would love to see the analysis of building social housing estates in the 60s, 70s and 80s, no return on investment there also, but there was a social return, it housed people, most of which bettered their lives. Building proper apartments will boost the city in more ways than financial return of the building itself, it will boost all the local economy, condense services, more city accom for office workers, night time economy boost, etc.,

This is more than subsidising what you say is unfeasible construction, it's looking back on this in 2044 and saying it was the right decision just like building social housing was once upon a time

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

My parents were in a social house (sister is an SNA now and I'm in IT)

They paid multiples of the mortgage back over their time.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

Would you be happy to pay an extra 5% in income tax to achieve this? Or willing to (or see loved ones) wait an extra day in A&E

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭snotboogie

This seems like a ridiculous point. Housing for all is coming at a time when the yearly spend on health is 70% higher in 2024 than it was in 2014 and 40% higher than it was in 2019. Income taxes have steadily dropped over the last 5 years. Housing for all expenditure is not coming at the expense of the health budget or personal tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Jizique

Income taxes have dropped steadily over the last five years? In Ireland??????

I’m not talking about current housing budget. OP wants taller buildings and I’m asking is he willing to pay more tax to go 10 stories higher? Setting minimum height for buildings is what he is proposing and I’m asking is he happy to pay more tax or divert funds away from other services to achieve this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Effective tax has dropped, the 40% band has moved from 34k in 2019 to 42k in 2024.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Subsidising city centre apartment developments ala HQ, Albert Quay & Marquee site has the added benefit of letting people live in the city with immediate access to amenities, employment etc rather than having to build infrastructure out into the green belt to facilitate more sprawly developments which are indirectly subsidised through having to provide, run and upgrade said infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭shawki

€50K Net Pay

2019: €36,787

2020: €36,802

2021: €36,807

2022: €37,223

2023: €38,053

2024: €38,883

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Thats great , wait till you find out about inflation,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭shawki

Not the point I was making and you know it so useless comment.

Leaving at that so the thread isn’t derailed.

You completely missed the point. They are subsidising already, make it a condition to receive that subsidy that a minimum storey building is built. Comparing this to health is so ridiculous, let's stop all road building and pump it into health so. Let's switch off your street lights so you can pump more into health.

Building higher buildings will in turn have savings, as another poster said it will reduce the need for expanding services like roads, schools, broadband, electric etc etc. and condense it. Also it will boost the city economy with a greater number of people, it would also have a knock where more people would go into town as they would feel safer

How? Rent for social housing is cheap. And I think my point is that that social housing enabled you to develop further than if your parents were tied up in huge repayments, ie long term gain. Other social houses wouldn't have payed for themselves, its a huge cost to the council repairing and maintaining properties, however it's for the greater good.

Building higher buildings would be looked as the same in 20-30 years time, you just can't put a value on it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭macraignil

"you just can't put a value on it"

The chartered surveyors of Ireland have made a study of apartment costs depending on whether they are part of a high rise or low rise development and they have put a value on it. The cost of an apartment in their study could almost be double that of a low rise apartment if it was to be in a high rise development because of the extra cost of building the entire structure to hold the weight of more floors and more complex facade structures and other factors. To say you will only allow government supports for housing to be applied to buildings over a minimum floor number like you are suggesting could lead to dramatically fewer homes being built and those that would be built would be too expensive for anyone besides the highest earners. To say the government should only support housing that caters for the most wealthy portion of society is just bizarre in my opinion.

So are you personally willing to pay more tax for higher buildings? You never answered the question.

Why would I pay more tax when the government have already put a subsidy package together? Why do you need to increase tax when we have a surplus that can be strategically spent on once off costs such as housing. So to answer your question, no I am not willing because funds are set aside

Are the chartered engineers (which most likely are civil engineers seen as you are calculating structural costs) also looking at the social benefits and non direct construction saving cost

Are the chartered eng calculating this based on a 20 year study not just the once off construction cost. Are the engineers calculating construction cost minus the indirect construction savings for not having to install services in rural areas just outside suburbs minus the 20 years of bus service minus the economic benefits over a 20 year span etc etc etc, I could go on and on. To calculate the construction cost of a low rise compared to a high rise is a short term single year budgetary exercise.

And to add the subsidy would remain the same, and yes richer people would be willing to build the higher apartments which would be a higher cost. But those rich people will be higher property tax and building rates which will sustain the lower level apartments of the building, not allowing for the increased spend from that so called rich person

• Advertisement

so the funds set aside should be used to build a few thousand high rise apartments instead of tens of thousands of more reasonable priced social housing that is badly needed. At least it will look nice.

Advertisement