Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Dublin - Bus Network Changes Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

You’re correct LXFlyer, there would be a bit of work involved behind the scenes. Dublin Bus have a good record of being able to adapt to planned closures, in previous years they have changed rosters and schedules for a number of events. Their Marathon and St. Patrick’s Day operation is impressive.

If a large section of the city centre streets are now closed every Saturday then the relevant authorities have to adapt our public transport. Simply having no information on a website and switching off RTPI while bus schedules fall apart is not the way to go.

A few Saturdays back I missed a bus to Blackrock on Nassau Street. I was unfortunate as it was the exact time a protest started. I could see the following three buses stuck behind on the app and they never ran the route. Out of curiosity I tracked those buses later in the day and they were all massively delayed. The following Saturday I tried to catch the 6pm 74 from Eden Quay only for it to be cancelled. When I contacted Dublin Bus they said the earlier protest had delayed the bus. 

Using a bus on Saturday has become unreliable and it’s not only affecting the city centre. The idea that there’s no bus through Ongar, Dundrum or Bray for an hour because there’s a planned protest miles away in the city centre is baffling.

Having a special Saturday Disruption plan would provide clarity to passengers and allow operators to maintain a service in the suburbs. We would really only need to alter routes which are cross city. There are suitable turning points at Merrion Square for the 4, 7/A, 47, C1 and C2, Leeson Street for the 11, 46A, 39A, 145 and 155, Hatch Street for the 9, 14, 15/A/B, 16, 65/B, 68, 83, 122 and 140, Cook Street for the 13, 27, 49, 54A, 74, 77A, 151, 123, 150, Wood Quay or Smithfield for the north quay routes, and Parnell Square or Mountjoy Square for O’Connell Street routes. It would be a shame to cut routes in this way but it’s happening anyway, only it is disorganised and lasts much longer than any protest.

The alternative is that we continue the weekly scenario of buses driving towards closed streets and end up on a congested diversion with delays affecting the route for hours. Passengers are left stranded across the network, RTPI is switched off and the poor staff in Dublin Bus spend their day on social media explaining there has been no bus for an hour because of an earlier protest in the city centre. We can do better than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭Daith

I'd agree that Dublin Bus should have a plan. I remember last year at the Pride March and Dublin Bus was relying on the Garda and rolling road closures which was always going to be a bit unworkable.

Be great when fewer buses are routed through O'Connell st

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Easily 10+ min gap at peak times on this section. You will get 3-4 buses with 2-3 mins then nothing for 8-10 mins. Same cycle repeats most of the day.

Its longer off peak early mornings/weekends etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

That's because they do not have integrated schedules - they are all (save for the 41/b/c/d) scheduled independently of one another.

With the E Spine being launched, the schedules will be integrated. I'm not saying that there won't still be bunching, as that's impossible to avoid if there are delays en route, but they won't be scheduled in such a way for it to happen, and therefore it should improve the headways.

The real point is that there are already 24 buses an hour scheduled to operate along that corridor during the day time off-peak - something another poster is trying to claim never happens and could not happen. That clearly is an incorrect statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

It's not up to Dublin Bus to have a plan, the NTA set the schedule and any details related to specific days.

• Advertisement

Well it is up to both of them to be fair.

DB management have far better visibility and understanding of the operational impact of these things than the NTA.

The NTA have virtually no one in house with operational experience.

Sometimes the operator should be telling them these things.

I do think that the current contracts have resulted in a degree of operator lethargy unfortunately (and that’s all operators, and that can be understandable at times with the NTA taking a “we know best” attitude on occasion.

Post edited by LXFlyer on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

NTA policy is take credit for anything they perceive as positive but give the blame to the operator when things go wrong

Well to be more correct, the NTA tend to say absolutely nothing when things go wrong and go into hiding.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

The other poster was claiming 15 minute gaps, which in 20 years I don’t think I’ve very rarely seen. 10 minutes gaps happen now and then, but certainly not as frequently as you are saying.

Last night when I posted this, I looked at a stop on the TFI live app and just now looked again and both times there was a pretty nice distribution been buses, 3 to 4 minutes between most, with just a single 7 minute gap over the hour shown.

Of course it is far from perfect and BusConnects is going to try and improve bunching by scheduling all the A routes together.

But man, coming from Cork city where my parents bus route is supposed to be every 20 minutes, but an hour wait is normal, it is night and day. My honest experience here is walking up to the stop and maybe waiting 3 minutes or so. Even the odd 10 minute wait is hardly a big deal, though it happens so seldom, I would notice it.

Having said all that, I do think the biggest mistake the NTA ever made was cancelling the Swiftway BRT plan, rather than including it is BusConnects. Big mistake IMO. With BusConnects, I suspect we really will have reached the maximum capacity of double decker buses and it probably won’t be enough. Though perhaps even 18m BRT’s wouldn’t make much difference.

Fortunately the National Development Plan does show a post 2042 expanded Luas network which shows Luas operating up the Swords Road and the other major routes into the city (though some maybe Metro). Annoyingly a long way off, but at least it is part of the plan.

It's supposed to be, but it isn't and if DB or GAI were to take their own initiative then the NTA would 'fine' them.

• Advertisement

They can raise the point with the NTA at least if they want to.

Even Dublin Bus's black hole of a complaints section on their website lists timetables and service as a category. Maybe anyone who selected that should be told to contact the NTA?

No i didn’t mean that they should act unilaterally.

I meant that they should be telling the NTA what should be done in these sort of situations and jointly implementing a solution.

Instead yesterday we had an avoidable situation where controllers had a major headache trying to get the service back on track with buses and drivers in the wrong places, massive gaps in service resulting in frustrated passengers, and drivers fed up too.

That’s not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

Does anyone know how efficient a Luas is in terms of energy usage?

For example would a Luas use more energy than the equivalent electric bus in terms kw per km.

I'm just thinking in terms of climate change, is the Luas better than electric buses.

I know the Luas carries much more people than a bus.

Like the concerts and private hires, DB at least HAVE tried to tell the NTA how best to run something and offer solutions but they point blank refuse to listen. Last year on the 14s they offered 15-20 busses from Donnybrook alone to work extra works for the concerts, but they said no and offered it to coach companies who offered very little. I worked it, and also attended a concert at the same time. Every journey outbound (every night) was packed by Dame Street and every inbound journey skipped Ballinteer. 5 busses in front and behind me all had the same thing, so none of us were stopping between Dame Street and Ballinteer.

The last Bray air show, we were told to put on shuttles from the station to Ballywaltrim. I was one of them, and for 5 hours I went up and down on 20 minute jaunts and took a grand total of 16 people (15 inbound and 1 outbound) between 11am and 4pm. The main street wasn't even closed, but the NTA told us to terminate 145s at the station and turn them short. Meanwhile, they still ran the GAI routes down the main street. Make it make sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭halfpastneverr

The Saturday protests and marches are becoming ridiculous at this stage, especially for people relying on PT for work. I've started to turn down Saturday overtime now (which I need!) because it's so hard to get home after on these miserable evenings. Worked from 7am-4pm yesterday and didn't get home til after 7pm. 13 RTPI on College Green outside Habitat was showing 18 mins so I went to get a coffee to get out of the rain (no bus shelters for one of the busiest cross-city stops either, another failure) and an empty 13 sailed by as I crossed the far lights at Trinity, so RTPI was worthless. Then went and stood on Hawkins St for the 17:00 hourly 69 and waited til 17:15 for it to appear and gave up. Luas Red Line leaves me a 30-minute walk down the N7 to get home, but at least I could be somewhat sure of it actually running. But I couldn't squeeze on the first 2 that arrived into Abbey Street, finally forcing my way on the 3rd one after waiting 25 odd mins for the privilege.

I dunno what the people chanting outside M&S think they're going to achieve, but it just makes commuting even more miserable for us long-suffering PT users. DCC/AGS/NTA need to come up with some sort of solution to either hold buses short of the city centre like Paddys Day, or provide a dedicated protest area. The 'shur its grand' approach is ridiculous in this day & age, especially considering how much money has/is being spent on re-branding the bus services in the city. A lot of occasional or first time PT users use PT at the weekends & it will be incredibly hard to convince them things are getting better when this awful service is being offered up with terrible communication from providers/NTA about service disruption.

Yesterday there was an 18 min wait for the next Luas to Broombridge.

The Transport for Ireland app was showing buses running on Christmas Day.

Irish Rail didn't have any Northside Darts running on the weekend of the Dublin Marathon.

Sorry but the protests aren't the only issue with public transport and weekends, and it's perfectly possible to find a solution, especially for buses, if any of the companies involved wanted to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

The protests are not the only problem, thats true.

But they are a consitent and predictable problem. They happen every Ssturday now and every Saturday they result in major delays or even curtailment of Luas services across the city centre.

The Marathon and Xmas Day are one off events and I think people have a tolerance for those (although mitigation plans should still be in place) but these protests are causing havoc every single saturday and there is no end in sight.

A designated protest area that does not shut down the LUAS lines or most cross city buses seems an obvious solution.

Great post and I sympathise with your experiences.

The protests are activley encouraging people back into cars (myself included) and are discouraging folks from coming into the city centre on a Saturday.

It doesn't take long for habits to form and I am sure the out of town shopping centres on the M50 are feeling the benefit of shoppers driving out to them, rather than facing the public transport lottery of entering the city centre on a Saturday.

I dont even consider PT on a Saturday now, unless I am heading to town in the evening.

I have used the car on more saturdays over the past 3 months than I had in probably the last 2 years combined.

Your obvious solution completely ignores people's constitutional right to peaceful assembly and the Garda are going to be very loathe to intervene here.

The best plan is for the NTA to actually deal with the issue and adjust services accordingly. That would require a much more agile mindset than they're used to.

peaceful assembly doesnt mean all areas of the city are open access.

I dont advocate removing peoples right to protest, not at all.

But designated protest routes should be a compromise.

How would the NTA achieve the diversion of Luas services?

• Advertisement

I thought your first issue was that you missed a bus because the real time display wasn't up to date. Surely that's in the power of the NTA to manage?

If you're suggesting the NTA carry on as usual and not adapt and the solution is really to decide where people can protest, more power to you.

No, I didnt mention anything about real time bus info. That must have been another poster.

My point was that we need a way to keep public transport running through the capital every saturday and I dont see any other way to do this for the Luas without designating protest routes.

Protests have designated routes anyway, so is it too much to ask that the Guards/Council/NTA enable routes that allow Public Transport to continue to run?

The Luas especialy, since it obviously cant be diverted.

Failure to do anything about the problem just results in greater car dependancy as people give up with Public Transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,846 ✭✭✭Polar101

Also, there's not much point of having realtime transport information if I can't provide realtime transport information when something out of the ordinary happens. Everyone can see what's in the timetable, but the passengers need to be informed when/where the servies are actually running.

Real-time information cannot tell you how long a bus is going to be delayed due to a protest march, rolling street closures or increased traffic levels. In those circumstances it becomes redundant as any predictive time will be a nonsense as the buses will just be stuck somewhere and the predictive time for further along the route will just stay the same until the buses move again.

The system works by applying the stop-by-stop timetable for each individual departure to the GPS of the bus - in other words normal traffic conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

RTPI doesn't need to tell you how long a bus is going to be delayed due to a protest march, it can just give a message about major disruption to services. If a bus isn't coming there is no point in it giving the time to the next scheduled bus were it to be operating.

It's a question of credibility, if people find that RTPI is regularly incorrect and not reliable, the credibility, and therefore attractiveness, of the entire bus service suffers.

They can and do normally do have a scrolling message up when there’s disruption.

But for whatever reason they didn’t on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,846 ✭✭✭Polar101

If a bus is diverted, it is still going to follow a route which has bus stops on them - feels like it should be possible to display that alternate route too. Maybe it isn't technically possible. But currently the level of information is "services are delayed - good luck!", which isn't terribly useful.

I understand if the bus is stuck somewhere, then it is pointless to display "2 min" when it could be 2 hours - but maybe the system could display "not moving" or something similar?

I mean, even normal day to day operations are frustrating for passengers using the RTPI - let alone when there's anything out of the ordinary happening. There's traffic every day.

Again, how the system works is that it applies the stop-by-stop timetable that has been been drawn up for each individual departure by the bus company schedulers, based on the average journey times for the route, to the GPS location. These timetables usually change between autumn/winter and summer to reflect the different traffic conditions.

In other words, if we take a simple route like the L53 - this is the detailed stop-by-stop timetable for that route (https://bustimes.org/services/l53) which as you can see has times for every stop along the route.

So the system sees where the bus is based on the GPS, and then applies the stop-by-stop journey times in that schedule above from where the bus location is on the route to come up with predictive journey times to each stop further along the route all the way to the last stop.

For the system to work along a diversion, then you would need to have an alternative stop-by-stop timetable to be prepared in advance by the schedulers for each individual departure for that route that could be applied.

That in itself is a huge amount of work, but given the unpredictability of the journey times along a diversionary route due to protests etc., I’d suggest it’s pretty much impossible to come up with any form of accurate predictive journey times for that scenario in advance.

Hence KD345’s suggestion of splitting cross-city and other routes to terminate short of the city centre at locations where the routes would be relatively unaffected by the protests etc., and whereby an alternative “protest schedule” (prepared in advance) including alternative driver rosters could be implemented on such days to allow for a relatively normal service along the rest of tbh route with reasonably accurate predictive times.

As for the “not moving”, I’m not sure how you’d even display that on the screens even if it were possible (I don’t know).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,637 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Saw this, this morning on X (From the 15th of Jan Mind you)

Just goes to show how poorly planned Bus infra (and infra in General) has been.

https://x.com/dubslife1/status/1746955070300725426?s=20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

steel on steel is far far more efficient than rubber on asphalt for a start so even without any hard data, yes Luas is more efficient.

Then you get into the whole heavy vehicles using batteries isn't particularly efficient. Hydrogen or trolley buses would be better than battery for energy usage also

Advertisement