Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,516 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Was in an Irish bar here in spain tonight. A lad put 50 euro note into poker machine, 10 minutes later thumping the machine and another 50 note into it. 10 minutes later another thumping episode and he left it. 100 euro feck

• Registered Users Posts: 11,492 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

In 1841 four years before the Great Famine in my parish in Wexford the population was 5344 people. It reduced every year after to 1966 to it's lowest level of 1155. In the last Census of 2022 it reached 1529. It took 56 years to increase the parish by 374 since 1966.

I get all arguments. Be they religion, skin colour change, culture, free reign on seemingly open borders, migrants disposing of documentation, welfare grabbers.

I had an English man out today with an Irish apprentice or co-worker. He was sent out to go at a hydraulic fitting on a loader. What he didn't know was it required splitting the boom on the loader. He never did it before and my job was his learning. The whole day and fills of oil. With no damage done to the loader but at the end of the day he hadn't the confidence to put it back together with the shims and afraid of any mess ups. It cost 680 euro for the two labour and pipework. And tomorrow another crew may go at putting it together again.

What we badly need is manual labourers and skilled people in this country. We need the courses and technical colleges to teach the trades and we need the people to stay in the country after for a certain length of time. Be it 5 or 10 years. We need the competition in trades.

I couldn't care less what skin colour any worker is. As long as they know what they are doing and don't charge an arm and a leg for a non completed job. For a society to work it needs workers. The Romans knew this even if they used slave labour from the conquered provinces. Today we outsource labour and goods to outside the eu to capitalise on their lower conditions. But if we want things fixed inside the EU and built then we need workers. We should not kid ourselves that welfare and dole is the or an answer. It's a safety net. But some see it and the conditions provided as a goal.

It's complicated and multi faceted but life and society is anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,396 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

As long as they know what they are doing and don't charge an arm and a leg for a non completed job

What was the labor charge for the 2 men for the day?

Didn't get the full breakdown.

Paid by card in the card machine and the invoice is following in the following days by email.

He did list it out. But I can't exactly recall again at this moment. The final figure sticks though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,396 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

If it was a full day the total invoice works out at €40 an hour per man with a call out to your yard, but then parts were significant enough further dropping the hourly rate. Parts could have been €150-€200?

An experienced mechanic like you describe called out to your yard for a day wouldnt leave you far off €1000 labour alone.

• Advertisement

1 drum of oil. 4 lengths of hydraulic pipe and fittings and blockers maybe 12 ft long.

I'm not cribbing. Well maybe. Bit annoyed over people in general and machinery.

Farming in Ireland is not cheap.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

We're in unprecedented times in Ireland re immigration. I'm guessing this is the first time ever people are emigrating to Ireland rather emigrating from Ireland.

It'll take a while for the new normal to bed in (before it changes again!).

But as several said on here, "It's complicated". I think that's a better starting point than the over-simplistic arguments you hear in some places.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Had a leak on scrapers on a Sunday morning around Christmas. Rang milking machine man. He put in new pipe and a drum of oil and labour. €180. Tbh I'd have paid twice that. Job done right

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Not emigrating from Ireland? Young people are leaving in Droves

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Yeah, there’s truth in that. But it’s not the same type of emigration as before.

Do CSO or any Govt dept have stats on the numbers leaving now and their education level compared to, say, the 80s?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

The hydraulic pipe that burst would have been 3 - 4ft long. I had access to one end myself. But due to the design of the machine the other end was just beyond arms reach. If I could have taken it off myself. A hydraulic outfitters was 5 minutes away by car. 10 minutes say to get a new one made with the fittings crimped on. Probably would have been 40 euro?. And five minutes back and another five minutes to fit if it was accessible.

If a tool could be fashioned to reach inside from the open end to open the fitting and tighten it again it'd be five minutes.

It was cruelty today. From forklifts and tractors pulling on the boom to then now needing someone else to put it back. And discovering parts welded where they shouldn't have been welded and bolts not knowing where they came from. 🙄

Not easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭green daries

It is but it's a lifestyle choice they won't live to far from eork they Don't want manual labour or lowly paid jobs thats there choice but no Irish person has to leave this island if they don't want to at the moment. Back in the day you went to ag college or if you were lucky to college for teacher or nurses or you took the boat there were no other options.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭148multi

Go into any leaving cert class, how many wan to be a mechanic, can't blame them there was no regard for geniuses a few years ago. One man local as a collage student he'd work weekend and evening, got a job with a fairly big contractor,could fix any machine.

Turns out he couldn't get a mortgage to do up an old cottage he inherited.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I heard or read somewhere that this statement isn't true. I'll try dig it out as I was a bit perplexed by the assertion at the time. Meanwhile, from the CSO in September

Of the 64,000 emigrants, 30,500 were Irish citizens in the year to April 2023. With a total of 29,600 returning Irish citizens, there is close to zero net migration (-900 people).  

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭orm0nd

I can only speak of my own area but was a huge exodus from here about 15 years ago, I'd say about 80% have now returned after maybe 2 to 4 years and now settled here, most have houses built.

I can only speak for here locally haven't a clue what's happening elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

That sounds like a tough day at the office, hope you get sorted tomorrow. Should you replace the other hoses in the boom with good quality hosing while you have it off?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Not really. Half if last year's Mary I graduates have emigrated but there's a shortage of teachers in the country. However it's very hard to get a job in rural Ireland and a teacher's salary won't go far towards a mortgage esp in Dublin where the acute shortage is.

Similar story with the medical professions and many others along with the fact that the HSE is an ongoing shiteshow to work in.

Got answer is not to deal with the problem but to import workers from weaker economies.

There's some loss of energetic 25 to 35 year olds in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

The chap in the passenger seat would be a witness no?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Packrat

Lads, I get it, the lack of experienced trades, the lack of someone who wants a days honest work for a days pay...

It's annoying.

But, importing tens of thousands of passport burners and dole scammers, Josef Puskas and his non-working family of 22 members isn't the answer.

That just impoverishes us.

It's not even a case of "we can't save the whole world" anymore, it's a case of "we are too blind to see" that the workers of the world (including our own highly educated ones) are going elsewhere and that we are being rode sideways by every workshy scammer from Moscow to the Cape of Good Hope.

That's what's happening and the sooner the people who pay for it all recognize it, the sooner it can be stopped. The taxpayer funded NGOs and the Polyanna apologists are never going to change their position, - they're financially invested in this.

We're like frogs getting boiled slowly whilst clapping for it...

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Advertisement

They are immigrating as highly trained highly paid people ....its a lifestyle choice as you said the job's are there there was no job's in the 80s any lad willing to do manual labour or are trained in a building trade needs to be encouraged to migrate into here .....cos no Irish boys and girls want building trades.....well possibly apart from electricians

• Registered Users Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Around here any young person doing building/shuttering got badly burned in the 2008 crash. They immigrated to Canada, US, Oz etc never to return. When building work returned it was full labor not apprentices that was hired. In my opinion as a society we made this problem by not thinking of the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

Not impartial. Most guards will just tell you take it up with the judge. Which is mostly a waste of time and money

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Absolutely agree.

thing is this seems indicative of any developing country, look to any developed country and you see the same attitude to “lower” jobs.

just uniquely, Irish people don’t want to do these jobs, but don’t want “foreigners to come here and take our jobs”. 🤷🏻

• Registered Users Posts: 24,444 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

I grt what your saying but there's no mechanic in the world worth €1000 a day.

Some are charging that kind of money but its robbery

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

No I didn't say it was a lifestyle choice, whatever that means.

Teachers and nurses could afford to live here and establish families in the 80s and 90s, they can't now.

It's a loss to our communities driven by government policy.

No I called it a lifestyle choice. There's loads of work in this country for whoever wants it. Best lad we ever had in the 80s was spread between 4 farmers and had done his college degree but it was go to England or America (and possibly not get home to see anyone for a decade) or work in any job he could get. Everyone can afford to live here now I Don't think you get how **** this place was 30 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭Gillespy

An awful lot of working Irish adults are living at home, still sleeping in the same bedroom they did as a child. No wonder a lot decide to leave.

What the last few pages show is how insulated the farming community is from what a disaster the country is. Literally cead mile failte and no regard for the consequences. What happens to your farm if you overstock it? Everything suffers. Accommodation and facilities have to be in place first. How is it any different with a country.

Really should cool it with the slurs and insults too, your cheap imported labour slept in freezing tents last night. Think about that? Who are the baddies really?

• Advertisement

Youngest lad here is thinking of doing an apprenticeship. Possibly as an electrician. Thankfully the secondary school he's at isnt pushing the high grades and you must go to college route .

Advertisement