Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Dublin - Bus Network Changes Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,637 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Railways are the 2nd most efficient way to move anything, 2nd only to ships.

They are incredibly efficient, for example in the US, freight trains are often well over a mile long. The locomotives are big, but in terms of ratio - train weight : engine size. If you had the same ratio for your car, your cars engine would fit in your pocket.

The become even more efficient when you use AC overhead lines. Like buses don't have a tap on them. Much if Europe is investing in HSR and Metro Rail except Ireland, we're doing Coaches and Buses.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Eh, Europe loves its coaches and buses too!

For instance Copenhagen’s city bus fleet is over a thousand buses, similar size to Dublin. And boy do they love their coaches for intercity travel, ski trips, etc.

Don't get me wrong, we should of course build all the Metro, tram and dart lines we can too, but they work alongside buses, creating a network effect.

The comparison of Luas versus EV buses is interesting but largely pointless. Even a Diesel bus is less polluting than a Diesel car on a per vehicle basis, never mind per passenger basis (see Dieselgas and NOX emissions). Going to EV buses is even better again, zero emissions and relatively low GHG emissions.

Yes I’d expect Luas is more energy efficient than EV buses, but probably not a big difference. But the decision to go Luas or bus is more down to other factors like passenger demand, upfront capital costs, etc. Even cities with lots of trams and Metros still have lots of buses too.

100% it's money, time and planning. And application too I suppose.

Interestingly the LGV does run trains down non-HSR lines to Ski Resorts during the winter months

Trains absolutely suck at hills (ski resorts) and it's one area where they are completely trumped by buses/coaches.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

LOL, I love the internet, of course someone did the maths!

So yes, trams come out more efficient, no surprise, but not by as much as you might think.

Note the stop every 1km, that would be reasonable for Luas, but not for city buses, every 400m would be more typical for Dublin bus. Given the lower acceleration energy of the bus then a bus type service with more frequent stops and more idealing in traffic, I’d say the bus would come even closer. Which really just shows that buses and trams are two different types of transport service.

Very interesting, I'm nearly sure the Luas has regen braking though, so the penalty in acceleration would be less. Also I know I can push one Luas car (Not a whole luas) if its on the flat (Pushing a railcar on the flat is surprisingly easy). I don't think I could push bus of similar weight on the flat. I'd query the accel energy required.

Edit: Actually the one Luas car thing might be a lie, the wagon I pushed could have been significantly light than one luas railcar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

Excellent article. Thanks for sharing.

We should be continuously expanding the Luas network so. Why did we stop!?

One thing the article doesn't cover is salaries of drivers and employees. Luas can carry more passengers with fewer drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Perhaps see the tweets from Bus Éireann - that explains the situation. Someone yet adding two and two and making five.

https://x.com/buseireann/status/1747231855848403411?s=46&t=PyMe5FnT3B7pitDk52ecKA

“This is a temporary generator to facilitate driver/staff training with our new EVs in advance of power being activated at our Limerick depot in the coming days.

We would like to assure you that this generator is run on hydro-treated vegetable oil, a sustainable fuel source.

1/2”

”The Electrification of our Limerick fleet follows on from the successful introduction of our Athlone Electric Town Service, Irelands first electric town service. 3 training vehicles are currently on site in Limerick with the delivery of the full fleet expected in the coming weeks”

I agree, there is no question that we should be expanding the Luas network. In particular given the likely ongoing driver shortages. One driver of Luas can be carrying over 400 passengers versus 80 to 90 on a double decker bus.

The reason we stopped was because of the recession. We managed to get Luas Cross City done and some extensions arond that time. But major new lines like Lucan, would have been beyond our finances at the time.

Once we came out of recession, the decision seems to have been to put the focus on Metrolink, DART+ and BusConnects instead.

Perhaps a mistake, but I'm not sure if we would have had the resources to do both Metrolink and a couple of Luas lines at the same time.

BTW the NDP include a map for a proposed future Luas network:

BTW I wouldn't be surprised if some of those lines ended up Metro instead of Luas. I think the above map is more a high level thinking of where Luas/Metro might go. Disappointed not to see Metro West included there.

Ahhh They are indeed Bus Eireann busses, They looked like Dublin Buses.

Even still, Cart before the Horse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Just as a point of interest, Transit has been working on a "detour detector" over in Montreal. If the detour follows another bus route, it marks that routes stops as likely temporary detour stops, or if not it "guesses" the temporary stop locations (using data points like the buses location, acceleration etc.).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

Is that why Transit app was reporting my walk through a park to switch buses as a “detour” to the N6 until I noticed it.

Numbers out, record number of people using public transport:

Dublin Bus 145 million, up from 138 million the last record in 2019!

"The passenger numbers speak for themselves. In Dublin two significant phases of BusConnects launched and passenger numbers on these routes increased instantly and continues to grow, showing us the demand exists for these more direct, frequent and reliable services," she added.

Even though it is still early days for BusConnects, it looks like it is already having a big impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭AngryLips

The NTA described these figures as "staggering".

...such is the level of forward planning that they didn't forecast this.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

That comment was specifically about the Carlow and Clonmel Town services.

From a position of zero (there were no town routes prior to these) to those levels in a short space of time is significant (particularly Clonmel which has two routes each operating hourly). They presumably expected a more gradual period over which numbers would grow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

We can add a mathematical sign of > to the left of the number of minutes meaning 'at least'. Here you go, problem solved! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

That's great news about the transport figures being published today. It's great to see it going over 300 million passengers for the first time ever.

Does anyone know which operator is going to run each BusConnects route in the F-Spine & E-Spine later this year?

Also were any of the routes in these two phases officially put out to tender by the NTA?

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭ITV2

E1/2 is Donnybrook F is mostly Harristown, from what I hear E is much later this year even early 2025.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭AX636

Was told other day A-spine won't be till a least middle of 2025

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭Daith

Speaking of the Luas extension, I really hope they look at how close the Luas extension to Finglas (Charlestown) and the Metrolink are, and see if it's feasible to connect them somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Doesn't take into account that you need 4x buses per tram more or less. Luas 408 per tram, DD bus 90

• Registered Users Posts: 9,518 ✭✭✭cgcsb

An extension from Charlestown to northwood will probably be in planning while finglas luas is under construction. It'd be silly not to and it seems like a silly omission anyway given ther short gap, the residential in between and the major retailers along the route but really i know this is to stop the jUst bRInG the lUAs tO the aIrPorT crowd

• Registered Users Posts: 14,918 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

they probably want to make sure the Metro is actually under construction first too, even TII won't believe it's going ahead until shovels are in the ground.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Or, alternatively, advanced planning so that the drivers are ready to go as soon as the infra is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,518 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I'm perfectly happy that finglas luas is not widely publicised until metrolink is firmly in construction, even still i expect a few anti-Irish Times whinges followed by car ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭BusGuy

To go on topic again, I just wanna say that my friends from my secondary school rely on the 14. Ever since they removed the 75 they can't have a direct service home. If they remove the 14, they have no option but to go for the Luas. They do take the 74 from Dundrum every once in a while, but it still relates to the Luas from Kilmacud. I have a few suggestions to just do a a little tweaks in the network, and I know this isn't gonna come but sure.

1: Keep the 14, but remove it so it doesn't go to Beaumont, and terminate at Eden Quay.

2: 44/D: Keep all but terminate all at Parnell Square.

3: 44: Make the 23:30 service not terminate at Rosemount Estate and go to Parnell Square.

4: 16: Extend to Nutgrove Shopping Centre

5: 11: Make the 11 serve the bus stop where the 17 did just before Our Lady's Grove PS at Goatstown.

EDIT: What happened with stop 863, and stop 874? They got removed from Google Maps, so it got removed?

Post edited by BusGuy on

• Registered Users Posts: 46 The Mathematician

I don't know enough about your other suggestions to comment, but when the 16 is replaced by the A spine, the A4 will go to Nutgrove SC.

Once Bus Connects is fully implemented, the 14 and 16 in Balinteer will effectively be replaced by routes A2,A4 and 80 (as far as the 16 terminus):

Yes, it's unfortunate that until the A-spine launches (which will be late next year at least realistically), the people of Balinteer will have to put up with the 14 taking on the brunt of the ex-75 users.

In terms of the last 44 not running all the way into town, thankfully they have stopped doing that practice with any of the new routes, but they likely wont make any timetable changes to that route until it becomes the 88.

For stop 863 & 874, no route goes along Roebuck road any more so yes, they have been effectively removed. Mind you, I do believe they should have routed the S4 along Roebuck Road and into UCD through the Owenstown entrance, but alas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭loco_scolo

Any feedback from people here on how the orbital routes are doing?

- Are they busy?

- Do they seem to be generating new passengers, new trips?

- Are people using them to avoid heading into town to get to their final location?

I was in James' hospital last week and the road through there was a complete carpark (people queuing to get into the actual carpark). The S2 had to queue with everyone. Must be super frustrating to do the 'dogleg' quays detour then get stuck in James' traffic!...

Advertisement