Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Very valid.

General housing crisis aside.

No such efforts put into student accommodation or housing the homeless . Sure our prisons are even full to the brim.

Sharing the plan would be a great first step.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,332 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Surely every town should get a community hotel now?

What a mess this government is making of this.

Who pays the staff? Is it for profit or not for profit? Will the state be running a pub open to the public? Will the sandwiches be nice?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

I think the Government can't wait for opposition at this stage, at least a lot of them can't.

But the way they're going out we'll end up with the National Party or similar running the country. We are going to end up going way to the right if things don't change fast. Nonsensical policies, criticising protestors while also sympathising with them, insufferable posturing around their own supposed generosity, criticising misinformation while spreading misinformation, what a joke of a Government.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Does anybody know the 10 districts the government are on about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

Lucky on TippFm now,

Far right, misinformation, disinformation yada yada

Fran Curry not giving him an inch thank god

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭bloopy

What kind of idiot thinks this is what solves the issue?

How simple are our government leaders to think that these issues and protests are down to a hotel?

Why shutter a functioning hotel and then buy a new one?

Is this the same hotel that refurbishment began on about 3-4 months ago after being closed for 10 years - great timing for the owners if so.

How long does the government think they can proceed with this "strategy" and how far are they willing to go in their battle with these communities?

What is the damn plan going forward? Are we going to fill every town and village with provision centres? Will the people accept that?

What the hell are they doing and how will any of this encourage any sort of integration?

• Registered Users Posts: 54,264 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

You look at countries across Europe, they are all going to the right because of Immigration but typically Ireland is always slow with this stuff but unfortunately it's just a matter of time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Probably is.

The problem here is we're already on the right economically and have been for a long time.

And look where that's got us on housing, health etc. The right want to privatize everything and that just hasn't worked here (or a lot of other places, but especially here).

I imagine we'll end up with FFG again next government with the Greens replaced by a further right independent coalition. That's not going to lead to more houses being built or any changes in health.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

District 1: Luxury

District 2: Masonry

District 3: Technology

District 4: Fishing

District 5: Power

District 6: Transportation

District 7: Lumber

District 8: Textiles

District 9: Grain

District 10: Livestock

LET THE HUNGER GAMES BEGIN!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

You've answered your own question.

Keep taking them in and keep dumping them in rural towns and villages. Keep frightening the locals by telling them the far right are lurking in the locality so don't be out protesting.

But surely nobody is so idiotic as to think that's a viable plan going forward.

It will cause incredible damage to social cohesion.

There will be no chance of integration because the anger and tension will already be there before anyone arrives.

It is a plan of a lunatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭mauries wigs

If you support anyone arriving here illegally. Then you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Behold the government TDs and local councillors starting to panic about this issue.

Trying to sell a pup and plaster over with a fig leaf well after the horse has bolted.

You reap what you sow etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

These buildings are likely in isolated areas, probably dont have CCTV or any kind of security. A lot of vacanct buildings you can simply walk up to them, even go into them if vandals have already been. Even so, it's easy to go up to most places in the dead of night with a hoodie over your face, do your arson and run away unnoticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭mauries wigs

The RTE website failing to feature(on the homepage from what I can see) the massive news of this new decision from our government to randomly purchase hotels for community hotels.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,274 ✭✭✭emo72

"Here yis are lads, we'll give yis dis aul hotel, and ehhh....yeah.... It'll be grand"

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Nobody is pro illegal immigration. It lies to suggest anyone is.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

They must want to turn the island into something resembling mega city one as there must a billion people on the planet worse off then us here.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 7,384 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I posted in the other thread on the "community hotel", but when I first heard it mentioned on Prime Time last night, I was genuinely stunned. First of all because it is a completely crazy thing to do - attempt to buy off a town essentially but mainly because it shows that there is no strategy at all backing the refugee policy.

Buying the hotel to placate Roscrea is the government scrambling to find something to make the protests go away, literally throwing money at the problem. It won't work though, as a new hotel will not change the fact that services are under pressure in the town and the clear deep unease in the community over the rapid change in its demographics it's had to absorb in the past few years.

And even if it did work, what would it achieve, millions for a week's peace? Until the next town or village is targeted.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

"It'll be grand" is the thing here. Just fcuk around and hope it turns out ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

It seems pretty easy as is alright.

But I don't think it would take too much in the line of AGS resources to catch someone in the act. There's a fairly clear pattern to what's occurring.

For all intents and purposes these are state buildings... How long is the state going to let these thugs walk all over them like that?

But I guess it makes it easier to dismiss all protestors, so where's the incentive?

I am seriously wondering who is actually in control here.

What is happening makes no political sense, let alone economic or societal.

There is obviously no plan and no sign of there being a plan.

Just stick them anywhere and call anyone who complains racist or far right (or "bad actors" which seems to be the new go-to phrase when far right stopped working).

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭aziz

I want to see the government have a vote in the dail on buying this other hotel so I can see what idiots think it’s a good idea and the public will know never to give any of them a vote again

just plain stupidity

• Registered Users Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭Cordell

It's not true unfortunately, the government makes all the efforts to make it difficult for anyone to be an illegal immigrant. Yes, you read that right, it's actually quite difficult to be an illegal immigrant in Ireland when even people who destroy their passports end up remaining here legally. And even when you go through all the hoops to become an illegal immigrant and have a deportation order issued, as long as the deportation order is not enforced technically you aren't here illegally, as a law that is not enforced is not a law, it's just an advice - You should go back to your country, at your expense, when you feel like it.

They are not state buildings, they are private property. Classsifying them as such is a stretch too far. The government or state does not own them, they don’t even rent them they rent beds/rooms and pay other private parties to cater them and provide transport.

The “community hotel” will be a state building though.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭pjordan

Same as the hotel in Ballinrobe. Had a fire about 11 years ago and for whatever reason never reopened. Obviously not considered viable by the owner to run as a hotel but suddenly the lucrative option of accomodating asylum seekers with none of the headaches of hiring and training and paying hospitality staff becomes a proposition and he naturally jumps at it.

Same as Breaffy House Resort outside Castlebar. Was once a lovely rural manor hotel (I worked there in my youth). Then bought by a Co Clare Building/Developer family about 20 years ago who knew even less about the hotel industry than they did about construction and developed a sports resort hotel (which incidently they were granted planing permission by Mayo Co Co on the condition/promise of funding a town sewer extension to Breaffy which they subsequently renaged on) in the run up to the London Olympics in the belief that some sports teams might choose to base themselves in the West of Ireland in preparation for the Olympics. Great long term plan that turned out to be. Offloaded to an Far Eastern based Irish consortium about 5 years ago (with damn all association or loyalty to the local community - their most recent commercial proposal last year was an application to build about 120 additional houses on the grounds of the resort) and they have reaped the lucrative demands of all the ensuing disasters since, making loadsa money out of accomodating the Covid Test Centre, Housing Ukranian refugees and now asylum seekers.

Same with Mosney which I had the pleasure to go to as a child participating in community games. No longer viable as a holiday camp but hugely lucrative for the owners over the past 20+ years. And what about all the appalling Direct Provision centres by and large privately owned which have been condemned for years and were supposed to be phased out years ago? Surely some vested interest at play there?

This is replicated all over rural Ireland where the owners of small hotels or nursing homes decide on a commercial basis that it is a much better business proposition to enter the asylum industry than remain in the one for which their premises was originally built.

Sure begs the question, why would you bother yourself with the headaches involved in the tourism/hospitality sector when the asylum industry is so much more lucrative and guaranteed by Govt underwriting for much less cost and effort.

We are rapidly moving towards a scenario where huge swathes of rural Ireland are given over to the lucrative refugee industry with, a small minority of invariably absentee landlords reaping the huge financial benefits of same, with minimal benefits, indeed a whole lot of headaches in terms of restricted access to limited resources, for the local population.

It is no wonder there is huge discontent growing amongst the populace and of course as pointed out here, the huge added hyprocracy, particulary by the ministers for Tourism and Local and Rural Development to say nothing on this, or try to divert saying "Oh nothing to see here, only right wing thugs"

Some might regard it as begrudgery or envy of fortunate and canny business people making profit out of opportunity. But the reality is that it adds minimal benefit to local communities in proportion to the additional demand that it causes on already scarce and underfunded resources

Incidently, this crises also shows up the utter hyprocracy and lack of joint up thinking especially by the Greens (a party which I voted for, for years) whereby communities with damn all access to a decent public transport system now have additional people housed in them with no access to cars who require to be bussed everwhere (especially to schools) by either private buses or taxis and Eamon Ryan's latest grand idea is to stamp out parking for public servants. Also a lot of rural hotels with no connection to a mains sewer (only teritary treatment plants) are being utilised with an occupancy far higher than that for which they were granted planning permission as hotels, posing further potential threat on water tables but in Green eyes, one off housing and farting cows pose the real threat to rural Irish environment. TII and the NRA before them for years resisted development of footpaths and lighting on rural roads, but now these rural roads surrounding rural hotels are populated with foreign nationals out walking often without adequate illumination and unused to the traffic hazards of rural Ireland. Oh yeah also Eamonn, how many of these rural hotel are located adjacent to the railway network which constitutes another of your wet dreams? But the Greens really believe the future lies in low impact sustainable tourism....

As I said complete lack of joint up thinking.

Post edited by pjordan on

• Advertisement

It would pass the vote due to the party whips.

then you will have many posters on here saying “respect democracy” etc

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement