Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Or they could just leave the hotel that was there as it was.Now their spending more taxpayers money on an unnecessary facility.

It's pure corruption (probably legal but still clearly wrong) by the government and the hotel owner.Government contract with guaranteed money for the owner of the hotel and the governments gets to solve a problem they created themselves all while spending tax payers money.Easy for the government to do this and make their decisions when it isn't the politicians own money being wasted and it's gigantic social welfare payment for the hotel owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

It's even more hilarious you trying to defend it. No plans no future insights for migrants, lovely morning this for tents. We really have a totally incompetent government who's reactive actions instead of being proactive are turning this country into a sh#thole.

Bord failte commercial will have to be brilliantly photo shopped this year to try and hoodwink tourists to come here.

Jesus it's hilarious how stupid this government are.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Accomodation is needed across the country. They contracted Rackett Hall. Complaints against Rackett Hall were that the only working hotel in Roscrea was taken away. Government are providing funding to address that in order to provide a hotel.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

They should have left Racket Hall alone.There isn't a bottomless pit of money for the government to be creating new hotels with because they fill up existing ones with immigrants/refugees etc.

Accommodation should of been in place before we started taking every Tom dick and Harry from every corner of the world. Holding centres should of been built but as I said our government are incompetent. And the total sh#£show around Accommodation should show everyone what a shi£show screening and keeping track who is coming into the country. God knows who we have in this country at the moment. Very very bad times ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭freebritney

If immigration continues at this rate we can never build enough houses. The idiocy of O'Gormans infamous tweets welcoming the world to Ireland and promising own door accommodation is now being laid bare. It's a perpetual motion machine, house all refugees and it'll just encourage more to come requiring more houses. The only solution is reception centres, fast processing of applications, immediate deportation of rejected applicants. Deploy immigration officers to high risk flights (Bulgaria I believe accounts for a huge amount of lost documentation) and bio scan all passengers at boarding and on cross border transport with NI. It's not that difficult if we wanted to make Ireland an unappealing country for illegal immigration. If your genuine and apply through the proper channels then we do all we can to welcome and house you, if not you sit in a bare dorm in a immigration centre for months before being shipped back to Eygpt or wherever.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭sligoblue

I don’t usually comment on this kinda stuff, but you motivated me.

If you grew up in the 80s (you claim to know people who made a good living in those plants) then you and I probably know each other, and probably were in St Nathys/tech/Convent at the same time.

I do not recognise the description of the towns in your post, I do recognise your type though, you have existed there for decades. For clarity, both towns have had foreign workers living and working in their plants for decades. Integration has been limited in that they often keep to themselves, there seems to be a very strong family/community spirit/bond amongst them, I suppose similar to the Irish in America, but I can’t say there has been a huge effort, particularly by young local people to help integrate them into their lives either. The kids hanging around have always been there, I was one of them, standing outside the chipper having a chat, but also getting up to devilment. I am not aware of any issue with non Irish youngsters around the town that isn’t also associated with the locals.

Both towns have limited industry and employment opportunities, both are better for the meat plants being there, without them and the wages spent in the town, businesses would be enormously effected, and you can be absolutely certain, there would be an outcry if they disappeared.

If anything, those towns are an example of how large numbers of people from very different cultures have coexisted for decades, and freebritney, no one I ever knew, and you are probably the same, grew up in the 80/90s wanting to work in those plants, lots took the job if it was the only thing going, but left if anything else came along.

So, both towns are better for those industries, those workers from abroad, and without them, both towns, certainly in the 80/90’s would have been tumbleweed towns. We all knew people who slagged off the foreigners for their clothes, their colour, the fact that they were different, we used to just think locals who did that were dicks, now I suppose the internet makes it easier to say those things anonymously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,136 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Great post. Fair play. I grew up in the 70/80s in Galway and I had relations in North Galway and Mayo. I spent some time in Ballyhaunis and even got to visit the Halal plant (as we called it) once. A hard place to work. Those factories and workers kept those towns alive . It was grim times. I remember when the sugar factory at Tuam closed and the town went downhill fast and many emigrated. They would have given anything for a similar meat plant. I never once heard about hassle from the foreign workers.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭TokTik

There have been people saying Russia was going to invade Ukraine since they annexed Crimea in 2014. It hardly came out of the blue.

Which is an example of good immigration and social cohesion.

And why did that happen , because all the people who moved to those towns had jobs set up for them already and had places to stay and were coming to live here to work in jobs that had been provided for them and hopefully progress in their lives.

It's totally different to people being dumped in a underused hotel (which is happening all over the country) with no employment and being left to rely on government hand outs.

You've actually perfectly illustrated the point being made by people who are opposed to current government policy.Legal controlled immigration is perfectly good thing for a country, uncontrolled immigration and taking in people we don't have the facilities for is a disastrous policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

The Denmark model now is literally the only way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭batman_oh

But they can't separate these things as their argument falls apart so if you don't want the Sweden model of thousands of permanently unemployed people dumped in areas that can't support them with nothing to do you are anti all immigration apparently.

True, care to surmise about the thousands of others who are coming here not from Ukraine.

Alot of countries must be at war that I don't know about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Exsol Ltd is owned by a mega rich cavan business man with piles of companies, this will be the direction our taxes will flow when or if this hairbrained scheme go's ahead, stuff like this is why I pay as little tax as I legally can in this country, it'd only be squandered by those absolute clowns, 💶💶💶💶's for the lads in the boardrooms

I think you picked me up wrong. I never critised the asian communities in either town, I just stated a fact that they generally don't integrate. They came to work, were law abiding and kept to themselves. They did drive down the wages and yes, working on the belly line wasn't the most sought after job, but you know the wages were decent. I am simply making the point that both had a large immigrant base to begin with and now the recent influx has tipped the balance from sustainable to problamatic. If your from the area then can you explain why Charlestown, Swinford, Foxford, Kiltimagh, Tubbercurry, Curry, Aughamore and all the similar sized towns haven't had to amalgamate and haven't suffered such a drop in demographics. Please don't be vesicious and equate teens standing around on the street with adult men with hoods pulled up huddled on corners. It may be a cultural thing and they might not mean to do it but it is intimidating.

I suppose the first question I should have asked upon reading your post, do you still live locally?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

It’s hard to take the so called ‘left’ gives their support to these well connected profiteers ahead of Irish workers losing their jobs in the tourism industry.

• Advertisement

I know this, same thing happened beside me. Biggest scammers in the county making thousands running run down hotels full of Refugees. By the way this hotel was condemned and not deemed fit for human occupation before the Ukrainians arrived. With this and vat hike minimum wage increases and electricity and rates any tourists coming here will need to be thinking about taking a tent.

The FG counciller from Westport on the Pat Kenny show spoke really well on the matter this morning. Tourism down 50% in Westport due to all the rooms being used to house IPA's, he called out the profiteering going on at the moment. Miriam O'Callaghan savaged that gobdaw on Prime Time last night and rightly called out the insanity of what they're doing in Roscrea. Shutting down and turning a going concern of a hotel into a refugee centre and then announcing they were going to open a "community hotel" in the town in it's place. When you see what's running the country and see the clusterf**k they're making of things you dispair.

But we did have government ministers saying no limits on numbers and special welfare rates

Maybe instead of sending the public order units to peaceful protests send them to Dublin airport arrivals and force anyone with no documentation back on to the aircraft they got off and returned to country of origin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

Better still…..

The government should acquire a “community” hangar at the airport. The “soft cap” public order unit can link arms and every person claiming asylum can be ushered into the hangar and remain there until their case is finalised. Straight onto a plane and back to the destination they claim to be from. If their country of origin don’t accept them back, the UN building in New York can be used until such time as those overpaid “diplomats” wake the **** up and change the outdated international asylum laws.

Do the same at the ports.

True, but maybe we could have foreseen the consequences of offering the most generous welfare supports in Europe to Ukrainian refugees. We could have maybe reduced those supports quickly when it became apparent that the system was attracting numbers we couldn't accommodate and attracting refugees from other European countries. We could have done all those things before a small problem mushroomed into this crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭mauries wigs

Do you still live there ?

i saw a news report from ballyhaunis where a Syrian resident even said he’s not happy with the calibre for recent migrant and has concerns about who they are and their backgrounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭mykrodot

how long is this going to be an ""emergency" for? Its what every politician comes out with , every single time!

Surely after 2 years we are not still on an "emergency" footing?? In 5 years time will it still be an emergency? Its like the catch all, fall back excuse for everything regarding immigration in this country? The great big excuse for allowing this mess to continue!

The last time I had this feeling about the country was in 2008. I remember all the alarm bells sounding and thinking to myself "it'll be alright, there's smart people in government and the dept of finance, they know what they are doing", turns out there was 3 people with degrees in economics in the department of finance, 80% had arts degrees. Listening to Prime Time last night and that idiotic idealogue O'Gorman recently has sent shivers down my spine as it's clear they are clueless. It's easy to run a country when the money is plentiful and you can just buy your way out of problems and kick the can down the road, but now we're faced with a serious issue that you cannot solve with cash alone, that is only going to get worse and they are being found out for the fools they are. People should be worried irrespective if your stance on immigration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭ECookie13

Honestly, it does not take rocket science to realise that the pro-people for all of this carry-on, and I mean the regular Joe that is somehow pro for all of this, will no doubt have an epiphany in 5-10 years. It'll be a case of "told ya so" for 90% of them I imagine. If ROG lasts another election, then this country will have sunk to a new low. He is incapable of his role.

Advertisement