Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

150KTubs - future career in Virgin Radio and other soulful pursuits **Mod: Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭fplfan12345

Don’t think he’d like to be recognised and greeted by many Irish tax payers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,808 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Never forget. Dee is as outstanding as Tubs.

2016:

Moya Doherty, chairwoman of the board, RTÉ, said the appointment marks “a significant moment in the development of RTÉ. Not only is this the first director general in almost 50 years to be appointed externally, but she will also be the first female to hold the role. RTE is at a pivotal moment, one where the future shape and financing of public service broadcasting is being re-imagined."

”I am delighted to have someone with such a breadth of industry experience, such a creative and visionary understanding of the global broadcasting market, and a proven management record.”

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭leath_dub

Pass the sick bag! 🤢

Moya Doherty has had her snout in the RTE trough for years. A sickening individual - probably the main reason Lottie Ryan got a gig in RTE as well, despite having no discernible talent

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭yagan

Is there a dedicated thread to rte culture?

Feels like there should be. This thread is about tubridy, but it was via rte's gravy train culture that he's elevated far above any discernable talent as a tv/radio host.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,293 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

1st joke of the day

Song playing: John Parr - St. Elmos Fire

Ryan: Thats John Parr - keen golfer (probably)

Such a pro. Ryan is in flying form... week 3 and his feet are firmly planted... It's Magic Baby

...and people are still calling this a 'step up'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭RoTelly

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Senior hurling according to Tubridy himself. Lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Enda Caldwell

Back to topic! Is anybody listening? Either via Q102 or via Virgin? Is he in fact putting on listeners or having a marmite effect? The overwhelming majority of comments I have viewed both in The UK + Ireland are of the sentiment "I listened for 20 minutes on day 1 / pick any day and I won't be listening again / back to Vernon/Ken/ Sunshine... Nova respectively.

Will that Q audience be + or - the estimated 41,000 it had before this exercise began a few weeks ago when the JNLR for that slot is totted up in February? And how well are the UK audience taking to him? If incoherent heavy accented garble, in-jokey Irish-isms that are old hat and incomplete thought structures is a new style of radio we are about to discover how successful it can be for a TSA of 64+ million people on DAB perhaps?

Me FM - Where you are never more than a minute away from another namedropping reference / US political reference / book recommendation / art gallery review.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭RoTelly

He just shows that he's never been abroad for any real length of time.

There is a point as an Irish person abroad that you do this thing where you distinguish the differences between the Irish and English. After 2 days you discover that the English are decent people who don't need a lecture on all things Irish and your boring them and they don't need a lecture on the famine.

Snacks exist in the UK, they are Cadbury's Snack, I know sometimes there are a few Cadbury's things that are particular to Ireland e.g. Moro though it has since been rebranded to the UK name Boost.

It is sounding more and more like Irish people are listening to this show over the British audiences.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭GSF

Pretty much all Virgin radio listenership is to either Evans (1M) or Norton (0.5M) the station listenership in total is 1.3M. So the other shows are doing tiny listenership figures

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Enda Caldwell

Quite correct. Imagine coming out with the statement "I've never been to Australia" and this is live on air not on some Adrian Mole style diary musing. For someone who is meant to be such huge global superstar and omnipotent fountain or oracle of all knowledge what a crass admission to make.

Usually people try a radio show for a week or two and adjust their listening habits accordingly. I fail to see how this appeals to Mary in Finglas doing her ironing or Mick in his Taxi. It was the fail that Lite FM (now Q!) had when it was too white collar and "culture vulture" back in the early 00's. Talking "down" to your audience will result every time in losses of listeners. For a Dublin only show its too generic Irish and "into de wesshhht" and as a UK show it stands up as some pop up or opt out St. Patrick's Day Parody stream and not relevant to the mainstream. If Ken Bruce spoke with a fast Glasgow accent in coloquialisms some Scots might understand and yarned on about books, museums and lectured parents on giving kids mobile phones how far might his success have been at Radio 2 or GHR? Or Vernon Kay done an "Up North Only" focused 3 hours on R2 where else might the audience of 8 or 9 million have tuned?

By the sounds of it he's talking to his UK audience as if he was already known to them. An unearned confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Has he mentioned the Toy Show yet?

He used to give it a mention at this time of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,494 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

He mentioned the toy show most days throughout the year.

It was cheap filler garbage for him to wind down the clock with.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

I think that Wireless are focusing his show on the Q102 audience intentionally. Virgin have done very little to promote Tubridy which means it makes it easier for them to remove him from that slot in a subtle fashion if they feel that they need to. I think that the endgame is for his show to continue for the foreseeable future on Q102 regardless of listenership figures in Dublin. I think they are having a "we'll cross that bridge when we come to it" attitude with respect to possible declining listener figures for Q during Tubridy's slot. As another poster pointed out, Wireless could have plans to offload their Irish franchises...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭siblers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭leath_dub

No traffic in this thread today. Has everyone had enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

With Nominative Determinism being a thing, and the fact that golf is a common pursuit among well-off men, there's actually a very good chance that he is a keen golfer. He's only 71, he could well be getting a few rounds in.

Interestingly, the Golf Course Manager of Exeter Golf and Country Club is a John Parr (https://exetergcc.co.uk/about/john-parr/). I assume no relation.

As a joke, it's certainly not a hole in one; probably a bogey, to be fair. But it's not like he'd take a Mulligan on it - it's fairly standard daytime radio fare.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,484 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Definitely slowing down.

I've yet to hear a single second of his Virgin show, just haven't had the interest, despite this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,331 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

TBH there's litte to be said about this sort of radio. If RT wasn't hosting I doubt even a regular listener would be able to stretch beyond a couple of sentences...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,293 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Since the start I've probably listened to about 8-10 of his links over the course of about 5-6 different days and won't be tuning in again as my previously held belief that Tubridy is an utterly useless broadcaster has been (in my mind) confirmed, and that once removed from the molly coddled cushion of angel farts that he existed in within RTÉ, he'd be shown up for being as much.

I'll still however enjoy this and any other threads that are opened on the subject matter, as they reaffirm to me that I'm not the only one that believes how utterly dislikable & talentless Tubridy is.

Yes, I really don't like him, but not in an unhealthy way as I actually enjoy not liking him. He doesn't 'live rent free' in my head, as the only thoughts I give to him are when I read/participate in this thread... outside of that he doesn't really exist in my world (thankfully).

What galls me is that someone so unsuited to presenting was paid soooo much for long.

Tubridy is a symptom of a much bigger abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,403 ✭✭✭Tork

I can't be bothered tuning in either. I only ever heard his RTE radio show in waiting rooms etc. Even that made for tough listening at times because he seemed to have become increasingly insufferable over the years. I was curious to know what he would be like on a British radio station and if he'd change his style at all. We know the answer to that now. I'm pretty confident that if I was to listen any day this week it'll be more of the same. The only things of interest now are how long he'll last in London and what new tricks NK has up his sleeve. I'm sure there are fans who are happy to hear him back on the air. Most of us, I suspect, are looking at this and enjoying the drama. It is a great tale to be fair. How a limited broadcaster made it to the top of his profession and messed it up through hubris.

As someone who has helped pay his wages for years, I can't say I'm unhappy that RTE presenter pay has come under the microscope. If he doesn't do well in the UK, it's going to make those arguments for inflated presenter pay look increasingly hollow. I don't want to see anyone living in bedsits living in pot noodles but sanity has to prevail.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,484 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

He'll be gone by Xmas.

When the NK stops astroturfing threads like this then it's over. Ryan will ring Noel and Noel will reply "new number, who dis?"

A mid-morning slot on Christmas FM? I think they call it the Sleigh Ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,981 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Yeah I definitely won't be even accidentally dialing in, the station is a stretch too far for me 😀

Actually my apologies to Garvan and the rest of the Xmas FM family. I only thought about it after posting 🤔

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

He must have killed everyone with his joke. :) We'll have to start referring to his show as "The Alan Partidge Project". (With apologies to Alan Parsons.)

Regards...jmcc

Advertisement