Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Volvo V70 D4 for high mileage driving

• 17-01-2024 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi,

I'm thinking about changing my car and I really like the look of the V70 and would suite me as I would be using it as a work car and my own hobbies with the boot space. Does anyone here have experience with this car in terms of reliability or fuel economy?

Car I'm looking at is 2014, UK import with a service history, manual. I'm thinking the mpg may not be great on this car? I believe is a four cylinder engine which may have EGR issues?

I do at least 20,000 miles (~32,000km) per year with work and my own travel. It's a mix of motorway / primary roads. My current car is a S40 with the PSA engine, which hasn't really given me any trouble as I keep to the service schedule with an oil change between intervals. Just my slight gripe with it is the boot space. Other than that I like the car, nice comfortable drive. I get 55 - 53mpg generally.

Any advice would be appreciated as I'm looking for a reason to move up to the V70!

Thanks

Comments

Is it the 2.0 or the 1.6?

I drove the v60 with the 1.6 and it felt way underpowered.

V70 always been a solid car, however they are costly to fix and a 10 year old can always give problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 George Cantstandya

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I think 2014 models were using Volvo inhouse 2.0 litre diesel engines. The older PSA engines were dropped around 2012. I think the D5 was the only one with the 2.4 litre 5 cylinder by 2014.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

What warranty are they giving, don't know the garage if it's the CE reg one your looking at. Would mapfre give you a 12mt warranty on it, the garage says 3mts. https://www.mapfrewarranty.ie/

I've 220k on a 16 D5 engine and there's no indications so far it won't do double that. Have kept the Volvo warranty going since new. Has that one much Volvo main dealer history?

Yeah that's the one I'm looking at :)

Do you mind me asking what kind of MPG are you getting on the V70?

Yeah this one has a good few Volvo dealership service stamps and a few independent garages later on.

• Advertisement

Can you throw a link to the advert and we can have a look? I wouldn’t be considering mapfre or any independent dealers warranty as a major part of the deal, they’ll basically try to get out of fixing the car as best they can at the age and miles.

I bought an Audi A4 avant in 2020 and I asked the seller to bring it a main dealer for a health check I believe it was 150 euro, and I just added that onto the price under the condition that there was no issues noted - could be an option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

Same D4 as in my 2014 S80. Never had any issues (touch wood)

Wife has the 2014 D5 V70 and it's a great car (again, zero issues to date)

They're eating the DOGS!!!

Donald Trump 2024

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

Yup. 2014 had new engines. I've the 181hp D4 and wife has the straight 5cylinder 2.4L D5 at 212(?)hp

Post edited by Norrie Rugger Head on

They're eating the DOGS!!!

Donald Trump 2024

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,931 ✭✭✭patrickc

I've the v60 D4 same engine 132. reg with just shy of 300k on it.

apart from the injectors going its been mostly good, had to replace a few turbo pipes etc.

I service it every 10k.

Here's a link to the advert: https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2014-volvo-v70-d4-business-edition-181hp-warranty/35599876

Yes I am a bit weary of these types of warranties too. I got my own car checked by a local garage to independent dealer before buying, I should have thought about trying to tie it into the deal at the time :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭GavPJ

Bonkers price for a 10 year old car.

I have to agree with poster above, it’s standard spec, high enough miles and it’s from an independent dealer. If it was me, I’d walk away from it and look at what your budget is and work around that. There’s plenty of other options for estates that you can look out for.

Advertisement