Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭pad199207

Passenger door opened itself while driving yesterday.

This is the second time it’s happened in a year after being “properly fixed” last spring.

Considering some sort of avenue now for replacement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Comer1

Currently getting 320 km range in this weather with 80 to 90 km/h max driving. Doesn't bother me, but surely we can see why EVs get such bad press with figures like that. If you buy a car in January, that is advertised to do 525 km and you only get 320, you'd be understandably a bit pi$$ed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Yeah, but my ICE petrol has a claimed combined MPG figure of about 36 mpg. I've never seen anything like that figure other than on leisurely long trips. So the same issue has always been there with ICE cars (claimed figures versus reality). I guess it's just more of a sore issue with EV's due to the perceived inconvenience of charging versus just filling up with petrol.

Would you be happy if you were only getting 21 mpg in winter? I agree, almost all the complaints thrown at EVs can also be applied to ICS. However, I do think that we are just giving more ammunition to the naysayers if dealers are not fully upfront about some of these issues.

I actually don't get much more than that 😂

Average about 24-26mpg this time of year. Mostly very short trips, cold weather... ICE's don't like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭micks_address

i wonder what the drop off in battery range temp is? We dont get terribly cold winters.. most of December was probably north of 8 degrees.. other european countries must get a lot colder.. is the range less effected as it gets colder?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭sk8board

Obviously this isn’t a normal ICE car though - most people have a Yaris or a focus or a 320d and they’re getting 50-60mpg and 700-1,100 km to a tank of fuel.

for the majority of people, it’s all about range & convenience, not efficiency

This is what scares people in the 2nd hand market - they know from the very minimum amount of research that they’re not buying a car with the claimed range, 525km in this instance, and that would be ok if it was 450/475km maybe - but at winter motorway speeds it sounds like you’d do very well to get to 250km, and if you do any motorway miles, that makes it a hard No for most people.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

People aren't doing 250km a day though. Recent census data shows very few commute more than two hours a day. Is range really an issue if you start every day with a full battery?

The few outliers like sales reps or people driving around for work don't suit standard range EVs. The issue is people aren't doing their research, buying EVs then wondering why they're only getting 250km or sticking with ICE because they get 700km to a tank, even though they can charge EV daily.

My Golf is advertised as 5.2-5.6L/100km combined and I never saw less than 6.5L with off peak, backroad/duall carriageway driving. I'm not up in arms that it uses 30-40% more fuel than claimed and I'm willing to bet all the Dublin SUV diesel drivers aren't getting 5L/100km on their short trips so it's not exactly a new concept.

People need to relearn their range numbers and what it means in the real world. The reality is you charge every two days rather than filling up weekly but it will cost you much, much less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭deravarra

Which ID4 do you have?

I have the GTX Max, 2nd hand, and at a 60/40 mix of national/motorway (80/105 kmh) driving, I am getting 350-360 km range.

When not commuting and avoiding motorway driving, I get closer to 400km range.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Smouse156

GTX MAX has heat pump. Only Max models have them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Yeah I had a 420d a few years ago and never got anything like that either. Averaged around 40mpg.

I just sold mine, lifetime avg was 48, and mid 50’s on the motorway or 9-1100km on a tank was easy

that’s no really the point though - saying “I drove a thirsty petrol car” isn’t at all representative of mass market buyers who now need to be encouraged into the EV world from their Golf’s, fiestas and Tiguans - and hearing of truly awful winter ranges in this frigid weather doesn’t help in any way. I’m one of them.

(and yes, ICE cars will have lower efficiency in this weather too - but their drop in range would hardly be noticeable to someone filling their car every 2-3 weeks. I used to fill up every month, roughly. 3-4minutes).

EV prices had to fall if mass market buyers are to go into them, and ranges or efficiency will need to improve

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I got 40mpg (7 litres per 100kms) from an A6 2.0tdi and a 20d BMW I had for a short time, both claimed about 50mpg. Resulted in about 900kms to a tank instead of 1100, so claimed ranges not matching real life is nothing new

I do concede however, it mattered little in the ICE except for cost, whereas in an EV it can matter at times for convenience

I'm still never going back to ICE though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

That 900km tank of diesel being what, €100? (more?) vs 3 full charges of 300kms each at home for, say €8 each?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,514 ✭✭✭✭ted1

A diesel is the opposite to EVs

my Accord would get 36 mpg on short trips or 50 mpg doing motorways speeds on long journeys.

where as the EV prefer shorter journeys.

Can anyone tell me what the service schedule is on the ID cars? VW have a "service pack" for €350 which they add onto the price of the new car unless you ask them to delete it. What does that €350 cover? If its just one "service" (which I think it is), then €350 doesn't seem all that good a deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,514 ✭✭✭✭ted1

It’s 2 years.

are they still including tyres? Well worth it if they are

I got 4 tyres, wipers, air filter, brake fluid pads and discs, clean and service check with mine

• Advertisement

From the product guide its:

"Service Plan includes one service, with pollen filter and brake fluid replacement."

No mention of tyres. €350 for a pollen filter and some fluids seems poor value to me. Surely the service wouldn't even cost as much as that when the time comes.

They would be about 115 euro a full tank at today's prices for 900kms

300kms which is my EV range costs about 12 euro for full charge, or 36 euro for the same distance as 115 euro tank of diesel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Mr Q

I think my VW dealer quoted €225 for the service and pollen filter on an ID.3. Then €75 for the fluid change.

I wouldn't bother paying the €350 now if it is just those three things included.

if you were on pinergy's ev drive rate of 5.5 cents a kw would be even less.. of course a full charge would take a few nights in their 3 hour window . about 4.50 for a full charge which would get say 350km in average winter conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭FaaF

Whilst this is true, most people need to factor in the increased day rate and/or standing charge involved. You get access to a 5.5 cent rate to charge the EV - but at a cost.

If exactly 50% of your usage went to charge the vehicle at 5.5 cent and you were paying an extra 8 cent for the day rate, where you used the other 50% of your units, the true cost of your EV charging is 13.5 cent per kw.

Not sure I follow. I recently switched to an EV plan with Energia even though I don't have an EV (yet). The standing charge with Energia is the same, regardless of which plan you choose. They also do a more traditional day/night plan and I did the numbers and the EV plan actually works out very slightly cheaper even without an EV in the equation - because I also use this cheap 4 hour window to charge a PV battery.

Well to be honest it is free to me personally as we charge in work, but so was my diesel, although the company has to pay for both of course.

Bit yeah, people could theoretically get much cheaper charges than I quoted

• Advertisement
Advertisement