Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk Thread (Love you Furlong time)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

While I generally agree with the overall sentiment, there’s a stunning amount of hyperbole here so I’m going to have to, unfortunately, defend Ulster.

Our academy is admittedly woeful but I’m struggling to think of literally anyone who was top notch at u20 level and disappeared without a trace. There are plenty of guys who, in my opinion, were barely serviceable at that level and wouldn’t have made the squad in a different year group.

If we are going to blame Ulster for declines then we should damn well be giving them credit for their rise. No Leinster produced winger has come close to the heights stockdale reached, and if you put any value in Gordon darcy’s opinion then he may have lost all that made him great if he came though at Leinster. If leinster could fix stockdale then why do I still have to watch Larmour immediately make a 90 degree turn as soon as a defender comes with eyesight? Why is chis cosgrave spending his time in the AIL because he’s allergic to tackling, or why was Andrew smith let go because he dropped balls like he made a bet? Both highly rated players coming through. Stockdale had many flaws to start with but much of his downfall has been due to losing his explosiveness because of several injuries.

Not sure why Baloucoune is being brought up as some massive downfall when most only had him picking up a few caps. Out of form? Certainly. Decline? Bit much. He never got called up to Ireland u18, u10 or u20, and he barely played any sevens. Surely Ulster have done very well getting him to the standard he’s at?

Nick Timoney has done fantastic in earning Ireland caps, as did Eric O’Sullivan, thanks to Ulster. Many players who move were never good enough if we are being honest, and while I believe that generally the best strategy is to stay at Leinster, I do believe we are not a barrier to players of a certain level progressing further, despite how poor we were last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

He's still a fine prospect, not as good as Sam P, I suppose. He will do well in his career, I think. Tector is not fluid. He does look awkward compared to Sam P but he could be worth holding on to. I've no clue as to the lads leaving and if we do lose Frawley or HB, Tector must be retained, imo.

I watched the Bordeaux v Sarries match last night and Chris Ashton suggested that Jalibert is rumored to be off to Stade. Nothing to do with our forecast for the round of 16 but interesting all the same.

The way Leinster have played and the revival of La Rochelle, I'd be very worried facing them. I think the return of Aldritt has spurred LAR back to their best.

Larmour called up! Deservedly so. I hope he gets the nod v France.

I think it'll be Nash on form in the 14 shirt, but with only 5 back three players in the full squad Larmour will fancy his chances to get an opportunity possibly at some stage.

• Advertisement

I'd argue Doak isn't reaching the level that he's capable of. It's true that some Ulster players are not top prospects but it's also true that many, or some have made the academy and drifted away.

The Leinster transplants have done well, imo. Certainly Timoney and E.O.S.

Yea, I'd agree with that. Nash has been great. Larmour could get into the 23. I'm delighted for him.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Very happy for Harry also. Many injuries and maybe a little fortunate to get the call, but good for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Bourgarit out for 3-4 months is a huge loss for them.

In Nathan Doak's defence - he's still only 22 - and just turned 22 in December. Think that gets lost sometimes because he's in his third season as a mainstay in the team's 23.

He's not at the level where he's ready for international selection, and isn't playing as well as guys like JGP or Casey, but those aren't really applicable peers. It's more appropriate to compare his development to guys like Cormac Foley (25 this year), Ben Murphy (23 in April), Fintan Gunne (20) and guys like Colm Reilly (24), Michael McDonald (24) and Matthew Devine (21).

Doak was the star Irish U20s scrum half the year before Devine was - Doak has gone on to play 59 times for Ulster (incl 14 caps in Europe), whereas Devine made his debut for Connacht for the last couple of minutes last Saturday.

• Advertisement

That's fair enough. There's no getting around the fact that he's stalled somewhat in his development. I hope he kicks on.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,182 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Weird how they don't just play a home and away interpro series during the 6N. Where's the gametime going to come from for the players down the depth chart now with fewer league games? Guys like Deeny, Brownlee, Arenzana-King twiddling their thumbs in the stands...

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Leeinnnnnnster

Considering the damage that Hodnett did to Mack with his filthy attempt at a clear out, the fewer inter-pros that present opportunities for such shite, the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

That's great to get minutes into lads coming back in from injury..

I doubt Ralston’s clear out was intentional either, though.

• Advertisement

Leinster only need 1 point from this weekend! That should be doable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

On Doak and Balacoune. I personally don’t think their progress has stalled as much as they just aren’t the type of archetypes Ireland want at those positions.

Doak is the prototypical big 9, has a great box kick and manages a game, the thing that everyone wanted a few years ago. It was easy seeing him taking over from Murray and offering much of the same thing. Unfortunately, styles change.

With balacoune i’m pretty convinced you could throw him on the wing for a big french team and it would be pretty seamless. He just isn’t that ‘busy’ winger ireland want.

We play an off 9 style that is not really at all similar to how ireland play. Leinster and connacht are typically much closer stylistically.

I would say the academy is picking up. Sheridan, Wilson, McNabney, Crothers, Boyd, Postlethwaite, Walker, McLoughlin, Hopes etc are imo a foundation of a really good team. We could use more GAA type athletes and more clubs guys though.

This is super awkward but the Ulster thread seems to have been renamed to the Leinster squad and famous Munster fans are being tagged as fans of the Nordie province

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Lol people were talking about doak and balacoune above. I can delete if the mods want.

You … are an interesting character. Quite the guessing game.. lol.

I wouldn’t want to speak on behalf of the mods. I guess Ulster fans are just used to seeing Leinster names all over their thread and their starting 15. Not so much on this side of Newry.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Billy_the_Kid
    Master

Anyone know what is the plan for home matches next season when work begins this summer on the new Anglesea stand in the RDS. Will they be moving all matches to Aviva?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,534 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I was hoping that Farrell would have moved on from Murray with his squad. Nothing against him, but I'd rather he decide to back youth over guys who are on short and final for their careers. Lads like Doak and Baloucoune, who might be stagnating a bit with their club, could benefit immensely by being in camp. JGP wasn't first choice for Leinster when Farrell backed him to start for example. On Baloucoune, it continually strikes me as a situation where he's suffering for being a racecar over a pickup, so to speak. Perhaps he's lacking in his capacity to play the more involved style favored by Catt, or suffers because Ulster don't have him playing that way. Never felt like the team looked to create any opportunities for him in space when he got his caps previously. A guy with his sort of talent should be game planned around, to a certain extent, use his abilities to the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Happy for all the lads to get their recognition and opportunity but losing 19 players again is tough to settle in with the new coaching systems.

Feel Munster's much smaller numbers lost last year to international call ups really helped them a lot last year to get their heads around what was being asked of them for their end of season run.

We can and need to get to much higher heights than they did and losing that many just increases the difficulty

I'm surprised too. Leinster have been fairly poor. Is it 19?

• Advertisement

Think it’s 20 including Prendergast in the development slot:

Healy, Furlong, Porter, Kelleher, Sheehan, McCarthy, Ryan, Doris, van der Flier, Baird, Conan, Gibson Park, Frawley, Byrne, Henshaw, Ringrose, Lowe, Keenan, Larmour, Prendergast.

Advertisement