Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cork Southern Distributor Road [route selection]

• 17-05-2019 10:49pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Another project announced through the CMATS public consultation document release this week.

480564.JPG

The final alignment for this will be interesting as it involves the upgrade of existing roads along most of its route. Space is quite tight along here too.

It is presumed that this route will result in the closure of junctions on the N40 as this will become the alternative for local traffic. The political ramifications of this will be interesting to say the least

It would also be nice (personally speaking), if a new link to the airport was provided from this new road west of the N27

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

For the ages and for this thread in 20 odd years time I randomly predict 2031 for the southern distributor opening. Lets see how far off the mark I am in reality!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

To me it looks like a fancy name for a number of existing roads starting with:

R610 down to the Fingerpost roundabout.
    R609 Carrigaline Road
    New section across the R609 to the existing Grange Road
    N27 junction at Bull McCabes
    New section behind Ford, around the new estates in Togher
    Ending by the funeral home in Wilton
    R849 down to the Wilton Roundabout.

It's the same with the northern one

R635 up through Mayfield
    Spur off the existing North Ring Road, just after Tinkers Cross
    Up through farmland in Rathcooney
    Joining the road beside the Kinvara estates in Ballyvolane.
    After that it’s a bit too vague to guess, as it’s all farmland.

My guess is the Southern one will be given priority but will be stuck in eternal NIMBY objection hell, and the northern one which looks pretty straightforward and much easier to build,
    never will be built as a load of new estates will pop up in Rathcooney, during the 20 years we're sitting on our hands waiting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,890 ✭✭✭SeanW

Taking some pressure off the N40 would definitely be a good thing, make local traffic local and rebalance the N/M40 towards long distance usage. I spent a year in Cork, it wasn't always easy to get around. Some journeys you'd be faster walking than waiting for a bus and some of the roads around the periphery especially on the Northside were awful.
    Overall the plan looks good. New tram system, expansion/electrificaiton of the heavy rail, and proper ring roads would be awesome. The problem I suspect will be the same as in Dublin. Great plans that are all necessary, but no money for them. Like the DART Underground in Dublin - all of this is badly needed but will any of it be funded?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

SeanW wrote: »
    Taking some pressure off the N40 would definitely be a good thing, make local traffic local and rebalance the N/M40 towards long distance usage. I spent a year in Cork, it wasn't always easy to get around. Some journeys you'd be faster walking than waiting for a bus and some of the roads around the periphery especially on the Northside were awful.
    Overall the plan looks good. New tram system, expansion/electrificaiton of the heavy rail, and proper ring roads would be awesome. The problem I suspect will be the same as in Dublin. Great plans that are all necessary, but no money for them. Like the DART Underground in Dublin - all of this is badly needed but will any of it be funded?

I suspect that new bridge over the ballybrack stream is part of this road. Interesting to see will they create grade separation at the junction with the N27. Badly needed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

SeanW wrote: »
    Overall the plan looks good. New tram system

Can't believe the tram will cost a billion though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

spacetweek wrote: »
    Can't believe the tram will cost a billion though.
    I find it hard to believe there is an accurate costing for the tram project yet given the route isn't even decided, some of it goes through green fields and there are no major structures involved (the only major crossing I can think of is the new Lee bridge at Kent station).

€1bn will probably be accurate by the time it gets built taking into account inflation etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I assume that the SDR will be a BusConnects upgrade to the existing roads plus filling in the gaps. This has the potential to be at least as controversial as some of the Dublin BC routes, if not even more so, I would have thought?

Up to a point yet, but a better way of thinking about it is like the current Dublin Outer Ring. DC in each direction with lights and the odd roundabout with a bus lane too.

Up to a point yet, but a better way of thinking about it is like the current Dublin Outer Ring. DC in each direction with lights and the odd roundabout with a bus lane too.
    DC with a bus lane and presumably a cycle lane and footpaths, how is there space for all that?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

CMATS document suggests one car lane, one bus lane + pedestrian/cyclist facilities in each direction for the 2 distributor roads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Limerick74

marno21 wrote: »
    CMATS document suggests one car lane, one bus lane + pedestrian/cyclist facilities in each direction for the 2 distributor roads.

Cross Section from CMATS attached

That’s sufficient as long as junctions are done correctly. Grade separation where possible.

That’s sufficient as long as junctions are done correctly. Grade separation where possible.
    Indeed. As you say above grade seperation at the N27 junction is paramount. The approach to the Sarsfield Road Roundabout will be a challenge too, that is carnage at peak times.

My worry is that a road of that style will only get roundabouts or traffic lights, which means people will still use the N40.

My worry is that a road of that style will only get roundabouts or traffic lights, which means people will still use the N40.

It will be next to useless without grade separation at the N27.

The biggest issue around there is access to Grange and grade separation here would solve an awful lot.

As it is a local distributor road, I seriously doubt there will be any GSJs. Not sure how a BusConnects style road would work with GSJs, the bus lane would become an on/off merging lane. You'd certainly need a lot of space to provide for that, a lot more than available here.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was no junction with the N27, just a fly over above it. The road is to facilitate local traffic movements mainly south of the N40.

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    As it is a local distributor road, I seriously doubt there will be any GSJs. Not sure how a BusConnects style road would work with GSJs, the bus lane would become an on/off merging lane. You'd certainly need a lot of space to provide for that, a lot more than available here.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was no junction with the N27, just a fly over above it. The road is to facilitate local traffic movements mainly south of the N40.

Well in fairness the North Ring Road (the one there now) is a lesser standard than this and has a GSJ at the N8 junction at Tivoli

There will definitely be a junction with the N27. I can't understand why in Ireland there is no appetite whatsoever for compact flyover/flyunder junctions with a link road between the two roads. Not full grade seperation but no conflicts for through traffic on both mainlines.

I remember that GSJ being built in the late 80s. Can you imagine the carnage if it wasn't there now!

Well in fairness the North Ring Road (the one there now) is a lesser standard than this and has a GSJ at the N8 junction at Tivoli

There will definitely be a junction with the N27. I can't understand why in Ireland there is no appetite whatsoever for compact flyover/flyunder junctions with a link road between the two roads. Not full grade seperation but no conflicts for through traffic on both mainlines.
    Even compact GSJs require significant changes in levels to get one road over and one road under. These level changes have to start a couple of hundred metres from the actual junction, on both sides. Plus you also have to create the necessary slips. There is nothing like the sound required on those existing roads and no space for off line build. They are also littered with access to housing estates, businesses, etc.

If GSJs were actually being considered, an entirely new alignment south of existing development would be far easier and cheaper. The road is just to facilitate local east west movements south of the N40 to take them off the N40, it's not intended to take longer distance journeys.

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    Even compact GSJs require significant changes in levels to get one road over and one road under. These level changes have to start a couple of hundred metres from the actual junction, on both sides. Plus you also have to create the necessary slips. There is nothing like the sound required on those existing roads and no space for off line build. They are also littered with access to housing estates, businesses, etc.

If GSJs were actually being considered, an entirely new alignment south of existing development would be far easier and cheaper. The road is just to facilitate local east west movements south of the N40 to take them off the N40, it's not intended to take longer distance journeys.

Forge Hill already exists and feeds into Grange. It is a disaster at rush hour due to the junction with the N27. Widening a road isn’t going to help unless the junction with the N27 is upgraded IMO.

I think hAving no access for this road with the N27 would be a good solution.

• Advertisement

Or maybe one-way slips of some sort that bring traffic into the airport but not onto the N27.

Or maybe one-way slips of some sort that bring traffic into the airport but not onto the N27.

There was talk of a second entrance to the airport from the top of Doughcloyne. Not sure if that’ll ever happen.

There was talk of a second entrance to the airport from the top of Doughcloyne. Not sure if that’ll ever happen.
    It's mentioned in one of the CMATS documents that it's under consideration as a measure to reduce N40 traffic.

At present traffic from the Wilton area going to the airport uses the N27 and the N40. Would make sense to have a direct link avoiding the N40.

If the SDR skirts south of the existing development west of the N27, it would be little more than a km to the airport. A GSJ could be built there, avoiding the need for a junction with the N27.

Would a link to the M28 be too much to ask for in time? Separate from the SDR?

This is mentioned as an important N40 complimentary route (along with the Douglas East-West link which will be part of the SDR) in the N40 Demand Management Study. I expect to see it advanced now given the push to implemented the recommendations of the N40 Demand Management Study as part of CMATS.

(In case anyone wants something to read on the toilet this weekend: https://www.tii.ie/tii-library/strategic-planning/strategic-reports/N40-Demand-Management-Study-June-2017.pdf)

I'd be interested to see what they come up with for this, whether this'll include a bridge near Douglas and a load of other stuff. It'll be fought tooth and nail by the usual clowns.

Heres hoping for a layout similar to that of the ORR in Dublin, with little to no stupid reuse of current roads. Do it properly.

https://goo.gl/maps/u4PS8f7d61fKxyb28

Basically 2+2+Buslane with ped/cycle track and major at-grade junctions only with some LILOs thrown in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭cantalach

I reckon the all-new 190m section cutting through the Mangala Wood to join Grange Road (R851) to the old Carrigaline Road (R609) will be fought tooth and nail locally. Local teens will be badly affected as the wood is a favourite spot for a sess’...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

cantalach wrote: »
    the wood is a favourite spot for a sess’...

That’s not all :pac: :D

I reckon the all-new 190m section cutting through the Mangala Wood to join Grange Road (R851) to the old Carrigaline Road (R609) will be fought tooth and nail locally. Local teens will be badly affected as the wood is a favourite spot for a sess’...

Will have to be a bridge over the wood. Will relieve a huge amount of pressure in the area and give Grange and Donnybrook much sought after access to the M28. I might bumb an old thread on it.

I think the proposal to widen the Rochestown Road for bus and cycle lanes will be even more entertaining when it’s published :)

I think the proposal to widen the Rochestown Road for bus and cycle lanes will be even more entertaining when it’s published :)

Will the section just after the finger post be widened? This will require a lot of CPO and the demolition of some structures.

Will the section just after the finger post be widened? This will require a lot of CPO and the demolition of some structures.

Some only very recently built. Lots of money on that stretch of road. The opposition will be unreal. That said, if you can widen Leopardstown Road in Dublin, you can widen anything.

It’s unclear yet - but the high level map in the first post of this thread would indicate that the Southern Distributor will go from Douglas to the N28 presumably via the Rochestown Road. It’ll be a challenge no matter where it’s routed along there as we know from the M28

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

Theres also a humongous amount of massive trees all along one side of the rochestown road from the hotel to the finger post. On the other side are loads of houses. The majority of the road is really wide already at least i guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

This is nearly two years ago now! Does anyone know if anything progressed?

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Jayuu

EDIT: Post moved to N40 upgrade thread.

They've already scrapped the Mangala wood bridge, which was probably the single most important part of this entire project. So I doubt anything actually useful will see the light of day here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DylanQuestion

I've been putting some thought into this and I don't think the current plan of using the R610, R609 and R851 is the best of ideas. I think they should go for the path of least resistance here, which would be a new road entirely on the edge of the south city, like is planned for the Northern Distributor. Something like Monastery Road - Garryduff Road - Sciart Cross - Togher Road/Leghanmore Road - Spur Hill/Sarsfield Road - N40 J2. I think they're going to struggle a lot widening the R610 and R851 to make it effective as a multi modal distributor, esepcially as the bridge over Ballybrack Woods is going to be a huge hurdle for planning

• Advertisement

I understand your logic here, but I don't know if a distributor outside a bypass can work.

I'd love to underground the N40 like the Maastricht A2. The problem is that we already have flyovers at Douglas, KRR, and BRR so the cost of it would be astronomical. Right now I don't see a better solution than R610 and R851 unfortunately. It's why alternative transport modes are kinda urgent now. Probably need to toll the N40 then, and obviously badly need the Northern Bypass too.

I think closing N40 exits that are primarily/exclusively used for local traffic will prevent any issues of the distributor being outside. The R610 distributor will also be outside of it. I agree about the N40 being tunneled too, what a huge difference that would make!!

I don't know what "primarily/exclusively for local traffic" means and how you would determine which N40 exits (and presumably entrances) meet this criterion.

Douglas (West) J7 on ramp, Bloomfield J9 on ramp, Maryborough Hill on ramp, one or both of the Douglas off ramps and Curaheen J2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Your red line is actually an outer bypass and would largely function as such, with the N40 continuing to act as an inner distributor. (e.g. general traffic from say the CC to Douglas will hardly drive to the airport, across to the Coach Hill/Rochestown Road junction and back into Douglas, it will continue to use the N40). Changing the N40's role will be very difficult given the number of traffic magnets (Mahon Point, the Douglas shopping centres, Dunne's Bishopstown and the numerous Retail Parks (pseudo industrial estate complexes) that have been given permission over the years and that use the N40 as their primary access. It's very difficult to determine what the optimal solution is at this late stage. Certainly completing the Northern Distributor and the N40 North and West (completing the N40 Orbital) would alleviate pressure on the South side. An alternative, based on your drawing, would be to link the N40 at Jacobs Island to your Red Line somewhere around the Rochestown Inn, and classify your Redline as the N40 and allow it to act as a bypass, and reclassify the remaining N40 (Mahon Point to Bishopstown/Ballincollig) as the distributor road. The topography and settlement patterns of red line are another question altogether. As I said it's going to be very difficult to engineer a good solution, especially in the current anti-roads environment.

Closing the Bloomfield and Douglas on-ramps would obviously make it harder for anyone in the wider Douglas area to access the road. But wouldn’t that just have the effect of massively increasing traffic on Well Rd, Skehard Rd, Rochestown Rd, Grange Rd, South Douglas Rd, Turners Cross, Old Kinsale Road, etc., etc.?

The following is a suggestion for the Cork Southern Distributor Road, essentially it takes over the N40 between the Kinsale Road and Bandon Road junctions. Between these junctions a new N40 route is built south of the existing development.

The SDR is the red line. The existing N40 between the Kinsale Road and Bandon Road junctions gets redeveloped with a general traffic land in both directions, a bus lane in both directions and segregated cycle/walking facilities along the route. It would extend east on the northern edge of the existing N40 as far as South Douglas Road, to facilitate this, the N40 would be reduced to two eastbound lanes and the J7 off ramp removed. Ideally the next off ramp as well as the westbound on ramp would also close but I don't think that will fly.

It all gets very tight on approach to South Douglas Road. An alternative would be the SDR switches from the northern side to the southern side of the existing N40 at Kinsale Road, meaning it could tie into Douglas Link Road. Or the SDR could be either side of the N40, eastbound to the north and westbound to the south. This would mean the on ramp at Douglas would definitely have to be removed.

On the northern side of the SDR, a Luas line is created from Wilton to Kinsale Road, the purple line in the image. It continues north on the South Link Road which is reduced to two lanes, one in each direction. The Wilton and Kinsale Road junctions, as well as the two overbridges, would be redeveloped as interchanges with feeder buses, junctions for cars would be signalised (with right turns), Luas given priority and pedestrian/cycle access greatly improved. A separate branch goes south to the airport and P&R at new N27 junction. I don't know if the existing Cork Luas proposal is realistic, it goes through very developed areas and there seems to be a lot of objections (even from Cork City Council). If it doesn't happen, my proposed Luas route could use the current identified route west of CUH and east along Centre Park Road.

A new N40 is built between the Kinsale Road and Bandon Road junctions. At both those junctions, it uses the existing elevated sections which are altered to turn south. The existing junctions become part of the SDR with new N40 junctions built further south with links to the N27/N71. This reduces the number of junctions on the N40 and allows it to function better as a long distance route linking mainly N roads.

An interesting idea that would improve airport access and N71 access.

Nice as it would be, it does nothing for the N28 to N27 section across Douglas, which is where the problems are.

A lot to like about this.

I'd even consider routing further south of the Bandon Road Roundabout too.

Yeah but even if it's not absolutely perfect it's still the best overall plan I've seen.

• Advertisement
Advertisement