Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Just find it easier to follow in this format.

It's nice to see the three training panellists in for some experience in camp.

Cian Prendergast is a surprise omission.

Timoney gets the nod over Hodnett, fair play to him.

No room for Zebo despite there not being a lot of inspiring options at fullback.

Overall, it was always likely to be very similar to the World Cup squad, but there are a few changes, just enough to keep it interesting.

The squad looks fairly decent overall, but just don't feel like they'll win a Grand Slam, but who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

The non selection of Zebo is fine, his age is wrong but Keenan is the only proper FB in the squad and Stockdale cant be ahead of him on form.

I would have picked zebo ahead of Stockdale but also hope that neither is needed.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Can you see France doing the slam though?

A slip up in Murrayfield is always possible

How do you figure the majority of the team haven't had a hard game of rugby this season?

Leinster's win in La Rochelle was test match level of ferocity.

Munster's win in Toulon is arguably their second biggest win in the past 12 months.

I dont think he will be captain in 4 years, but i also think hes worthy of his place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Tom Ahern, Nathan Doak, John Hodnett. Milne (injured), Tommy o'Brien, Jager

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Great, so you agree with me.

I made no comment on his place in the squad. Anyway, im going to leave it here.

No point dragging the thread off topic by an argument with a fellow Peter hater.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

Unless he retires or gets injured, POM will be Ireland captain at RWC 2027. He's not getting dropped and he's not having the captaincy taken from him.

I can see the style of england causing them trouble tbh, and there is a lot of rugby played by some of them. England owe them one as well.

Hard to see a slam, but hard to see them not winning championship tbh.

It would be no surprise to see them put 50 points on someone one week and loose the following week.

I guess it will all come down to what team adapts best to their newest changes, ours at 10, Wales in a few areas, France sans Dupont, england with foreign players unavailable etc.

not a hope in hell and im willing to put a €50 bet on with you, for charity, that he will not be named as ireland WRC captain in 2027

• Advertisement

Unless he runs for president in 2025 of course. Then its the Aras for 14 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭clsmooth

No Prendergast is a strange decision, think he’s been excellent this season and making big plays regularly POM style. Hodnett is also unlucky not to be named.

Amazing to see Healy back in. It says a lot about our depth at LH that he’s still making the squad when Leinster are slow to play him off the bench in the biggest games (got 2 mins off the bench in 2023 HC final and 10 against LAR on last trip there). Obviously a lot of this is down to Porters engine but it’s still concerning.

POM is a logical choice as a squad captain if we’re looking to win this tournament but I think at least one of Baird and Prendergast should be getting starts. It will be an opportunity lost if POM starts all 5 games at 6. Maybe Farrell also sees POM starting at 7 freeing up the 6 jersey and springing VDF from the bench.

We know Farrell is a vibes man. Might also have been a factor behind giving POM the captaincy (deserves the honour of being an Irish captain) and getting Healy the cap record (especially after his pre World Cup injury).

It was at the start of December, and larochelle were going very badly then

Furlong didnt play.

Porter played 30 mins

Vdf didnt start.

POM is only back and hasnt 80 mins played.

There is most definaltey a lack of high level game time amongst what will be the starting 15 in a little over 2 weeks.

With the exception of Beirne I would not have any of the most likely starting 15 at anything over 90% international match ready at this point.

It bodes well for the team as the competition progresses and for the clubs as the business end of the season approaches, but currently they are undercooked.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Danny Drier

A scared selection and no thoughts to building to 2027 World Cup. No surprise it’s always 1/4 finals exits. Farrell already seems to be obsessed with Lions job - against an atrocious Australia it really is a waste of everyone’s time and energies

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

How likely do you think it is that retires prior to the RWC? I would suggest very likely. Certainly more likely than not.

In which case, where's the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭Shehal

France did just that in the last RWC, look where that got them...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

You don't build for a World Cup right after the previous one ends. Four year cycles are a load of nonsense.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

You beat me to it, syd, but I'd imagine the "unless he retires" stipulation will get TRC off the hook...

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Clontarf_Jazz

I'd have preferred in he named a squad of 37 & then had the 3 trainees as Cathal Forde, John Hodnett , Nathan Doak or even Antoine Frisch / Jack Boyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Harsh on Prendergast but seems like the WC he’s unfortunately in a line behind the best depth we have had at 6

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭thomas 123

100% anything is possible but France have to be favorites for the grand slam, get have everything on paper.

• Administrators Posts: 53,799 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I dunno why anyone is mentioning Doak, he is struggling to get starts for Ulster and his form has been middling for a while now. I doubt the was on the radar at all, and I don't think he's going to put himself on the radar until he passes out Cooney.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭mun1

congratulations to Peter O'Mahony , Ireland Captain. well deserved, a special player and a legend of the Irish game.

The garden will have to wait.

the odds of 'no grand slam' are shorter than the odds of france winning one.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Ha, if POM was going to captain Ireland to the world cup he would not be having a well publicised fight over the poor offers or lack of offers for his contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Clontarf_Jazz

I'm surprised Farrell didn't just name a squad of 37 & then have 3 trainees from Neil Doak, Cathal Forde, John Hodnett, Anton Fritsch or even Jack Doyle as Michael Milne is injured I think

• Registered Users Posts: 24,062 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

POM as Captain is a mistake.

I've all the respect in the World for him, but he isn't going to make the next WC. He won't be on the Lions in 2025, even with Farrell in the chair. Unless Farrell does end up bringing him to justify his Captaincy now in some fashion. Which would compound the mistake.

Peter is a Munster and Ireland great. But right now we are suffering the loss of a another player that stayed on too long, and was certainly kept on as Captain waaaaaay too long.

And while it is right that greats like O'Mahony and Healy are in this squad to set the example of what it is to be a Test player, the commitment and the work ethic and just everything about the culture, I suspect if you asked Healy if either of them should be Captain, he'd say no.

To my mind, the Captain shortlist should have been:

Furlong, Beirne, Ryan, Henderson, VdF, Henshaw, Ringrose and Keenan.

From that, I would have made Ringrose Captain, Beirne Vice-Captain and pack leader and Van Der Flier as Third, if needed on field and for leadership duties in Camp.

December? A whole month ago?

Porter went off after 32 mins for a blood injury and came back on. He was still on the field well into the 70 mins plus (blocked down a kick in the closing minutes).

VDF played brilliantly when he came in - the competition for his shirt actually probably is a good thing and drove his performance more.

POM has played 103 mins for Munster this season between Stormers and Toulon, and played well in Toulon. We also have Ryan Baird who is playing brilliantly challenging for that shirt.

The lack of high level gametime is more to do with the fact that there just aren't that many tough games for the provinces up to this time of year realistically, and I don't know what you can do about it. You could make the exact same argument for the Leinster contingent this time 12 months ago (had had four soft European cup games, by comparison to the battle this time against La Rochelle) and they still won the Grand Slam.

• Advertisement

Shayne Bolton is another player that should be high up on the Radar.

He would benefit from being included on the Irish Summer tour

Hes 24 and has the speed of a winger and the frame of a 12. He could be an international level player.

Advertisement