Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2024 F1 General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,050 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

More launch dates.

Alpine: 7th of February.

Mercedes 14th of February.

Launch dates so far:

Alpine - 7th of February.

Aston Martin - 12th of February.

Ferrari - 13th of February.

Mercedes - 14th of February.

Red Bull - 15th of February.

Sauber - 5th of February.

Williams - 5th of February.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,259 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Who's this "Sauber" that you speak of? 🤔 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ScuderiaNick

Going to be an amazing season. I really can’t wait for it to begin!

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭CONSI

Will anyone be able to put a challenge to Max, outside of Verstappen the rest of the field were close and there was a lot of good racing last year. The reliability of the cars is unbelievable these days aswell...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,979 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I can see McLaren being close and Ferrari. Aston MIGHT but it is a big question. Mercedes have to be closer, they really have to, they have barked on enough about this new car concept so they have no excuses now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,569 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

AM need to learn to develop their car. On 2 occasions they've had the second best car at the start I'd the season and slipped to midfield by the end. Last year was a shocking loss of development between the beginning and the end.

In 2020 they pretty much cappied/bought the car from Mercedes and didn't seem to know how to develop it. And last year they got the car from that RB designer and fell backwards through the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭McFly85

Don’t see anything other than another straightforward enough championship for Max. RB are years ahead of everyone with this car and as a driver he’s peerless right now.

Would love for McLaren, Ferrari and Mercedes to push them closer this year though and have a car capable of winning races - even if they can’t catch Max, they’re the 3 most interesting driver combinations on the grid, watching those teams compete for race wins against eachother could be great entertainment.

And we have our first livery launch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

I'd disagree with the RB car being way ahead tbh. I think they only had a slightly faster car than everyone else last season. The reasons they finished so far ahead IMO:

• They had no single rival. Several teams had the second fastest car at different points in the season, so no one team was able to accumulate points to get anywhere near RB.
    • The crew didn't make mistakes. Almost every other team had multiple instances of crappy pit stops or strategy calls. I don't remember this happening to RB.
    • Car reliability was excellent.
    • Max is a beast. In a field of equal machinery I don't think anyone could beat him to a championship at the moment.

So basically a perfect storm allowed them to run away with the championship, not some uber-dominant car that was miles faster than the rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,349 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

"I'd disagree with the RB car being way ahead tbh. I think they only had a slightly faster car than everyone else last season. The reasons they finished so far ahead IMO:"

I disagree with that. Even when Ferrari or anyone else got ahead of Red Bull by getting a pole for instance Max still managed to come through and win.

The only time any driver from any other team won was at Ferrari and it was Carlos at Singapore only because the track was the only one that did not suit the Red Bull.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I don't really see much difference from last year. Look they'll never be able to go all the way back to a very silver heavy livery unless the Mercedes-Benz team pulls out and makes McLaren their defacto works team again. It's a testament to their success that they have a healthy number of sponsors on the car compared to 5 or 6 years ago.

Same as everyone else I presume, and I didn't see any evidence that the RB car is "years" ahead of everyone else. It's not like it's a 2004 Ferrari, or a Merc from 8-10 years ago, where pretty much any driver on the grid could have won the championship in those cars. Perez showed what the car is like in the hands of an average driver, and he wouldn't have been second in the champoinship if any one of Merc, Aston, McLaren or Ferrari had a more consistent season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,472 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

It's a testament to Zac Brown there I think...

All that said... I'm not optimistic about anyone beating them this year. Given how early they wrapped up the championship last year, I'd say they were able to divert resources to this year's car earlier than most.

It won every race but one. Some of those races they finished almost a pit stop ahead, and the others they were managing the pace.

It’s EXACTLY like the 2004 Ferrari or the dominant Merc. If you just use Perez for your point…you are blissfully ignoring what Max was doing.

This is baffling.

It won every Grand Prix but 1. It actually didn't win 2 races. The Singapore Grand Prix and Qatar Sprint.

And it won the Qatar race, yeah it was a really terrible car and it only JUST won all those races…

• Advertisement

I was about to look up stats from the seasons in question to back up my argument, then I read this and realised you can't even properly read what I wrote, so I'm not arsed now tbh.

whatever you say.

As previous seasons have shown, Max is really the only driver capable of handling the characteristics of the RB. Perez won races in this car, by the way, so your point isn’t making sense.

Ms

The what did you say. Sorry never heard of it.

THERE WAS ONLY ONE RACE IT DID NOT WIN IN SINGAPORE BECAUSE CARLOS WON THAT IN THE FERRARI.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭shanec1928

At this rate it will be all street circuits soon...

It replaces Barcelona. Might not be everyone's favourite but it's another old guard gone.

Yeah and it's usually crap. Old guard should mean nothing if its not entertaining.

With that said, I'm not a huge fan of street circuits. Some are fine. Baku is usually pretty good. If they're designing a street circuit, I really hope they've got it right this time. Otherwise its replacing one dud with another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭recyclops

At least some of the street circuits are actually in the cities they are named after, this monstrosity is out by the airport and goes round an exhibition centre, layout looks woeful.

Ms

I wonder will Formula E race on that new circuit too. It would suit them.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I think F1 cars are at their best on a proper race track like Spa,Suzuka,Silverstone etc. For me its frustrating seeing tracks like Sepang and Nurburgring being forgotten about because F1 has the need to more and more street circuits

Heading to Barcelona next season so glad to get that in before it gets axed.

Definitely feels like they’ve gone over the tipping point for street circuits though. Presume it’s the cheaper option for cities looking to cash in on F1. It’s a shame because there’s a few actual tracks that I’d love to see back on the calendar.

A mate went on a lads holiday and went to testing in Barcelona. He tells me they have wierd rules around selling alcohol at events in Catalonia. Essentially they can't sell booze at events. To get around it they sell hospitality packs or all inclusive packs which include free drink.

Worth looking into if youre going with the lads and plan to have a few beers. Maybe someone who has been recently can correct me if I'm wrong.

Yep that’s the case, which I think is crazy, but thankfully it’s a trip with herself so I’ll manage until we get back to Barcelona in the evening, will make it a cheaper trip anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,258 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I agree. We need more tracks like Spa, Monza, Silverstone as opposed to more fake circuits like Vegas etc

IMHO F1 went downhill in the early 2000's when my favorite track, the old hockenheim, got nerfed. Every new track nowadays is a street circuit or an artificial creation in a country that is loaded but doesnt have a motoring history, and most of which have human rights issues. Can you remember the last time a good track was added (or added back)? Where's the modern day Spa? My favorite "new" track is Baku, or maybe China.

You pine for the 20th century but we're almost a quarter of the way through the 21st. There needs to be a balance in my view and we should start looking to visiting venues every second or even 3rd year and capping the season at 20 a year. If it gets as high as a 26 race calendar, that's the equivalent of a Grand Prix every fortnight all year around.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Alpha Tauri = Visa Cash App RB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,398 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

That is a genuinely horrific name, to the point their shoukd be some rule against a team name being that terrible.

Even just VCA RB would be tolerable, but that... Unbelievable.

What are we supposed to call it?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭Harika

No one will complain about Supervalue Park anymore. WTF are they thinking? lol

Reminded me of

Ms

Terrible name. I can see the commentators with there jokes now. Here comes Visa dont forget visa, Well Tom are a you a Visa or a Mastercard guy? oh Mastercard all the way for me Dav lol.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭rameire

its going to be Crofty all the time, with the likes of, I have a Visa and I know that you can do a charge back, hopefully they will be able to charge back up the grid.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

"Riccardo and Tsnouda are off the Keto diet because they have plenty of V-CARBs."

• Advertisement

Visa Racing Bulls would have been fine with CashApp receiving prominent livery space.

Rule change is in order. Kick Stake was already taking the piss but this is ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

These were the results of the survey from a few years ago, be interesting to see a current survey from fans

Ah, that's interesting but you can't avoid the conservative instinct of the average F1 fan. Fans supported Australia being the first race of the year. It's boring and a terrible race pretty much every year, but they didn't like it losing its place as first race of the year. Similar to Barcelona. Terrible race pretty much guaranteed, but, it's what fans are used to so they don't like to see it drop off the calendar. Las Vegas is even tackier than Monaco so once its been on the calendar a decade I'd imagine fans would hate to see it removed.

If the survey asked how entertaining each race is, distinct from how attached they are to the races, the results could be very different.

A rare podium on medium tyres. Well done Stake.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Visa Cash app RB, that's some mouthful.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Advertisement
Advertisement