Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new recycling system

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,004 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Well no you asked me will this achieve the stated collection targets.

I pointed out we may be already have achieved it.

Imagine without this bloated expensive mess.

Pure theatre.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,538 ✭✭✭bren2001

Youre statement was that there was conclusive evidence. You've not provided a shred of evidence to support your claim.

Instead you want to restart a debate that we may have already met the target via kerbside collection. That's not a discussion I want to have with you. I want you to stand over your points with data to back it up or retract it.

Very simply put, its yes or no, do you believe there is conclusive evidence to show that we will not meet the collection targets via the RVM model?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,049 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

At this stage, the RVM Evangelists have their minds completely sealed against logic. Doubtless they'll slink away when bin collections charges rise, there's more or less the same amount of gratuitous littering as before and the public at large are all a bit pissed off at the extra inconvenience and cost.

Very simply put, its yes or no, do you believe there is conclusive evidence to show that we will not meet the collection targets via the RVM model?

Again I stated no such thing.

As I have explained several times already. I know the collection targets.

I don't know the current collection rates, neither do you. So you are asking me to answer a question no one could possibility answer.

So it could be that we have already surpassed the collection targets, so there is no need for this bloated inconvenient mess, is there?

What part of that could still be confusing you?

You wont even answer a simple yes or no question: do you believe there is conclusive evidence to show that we will not meet the collection targets via the RVM model?

Whether we are or are not meeting the target already is irrelevant. I am not asking you is the scheme justified compared to the current method, I am asking you an entirely different question. Yet, you avoid giving an answer. It's simple, yes or no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

The secrecy could be because maybe all previous tins work in the machine too? maybe its too expensive to track the bottles with logo's on them, and they don't want some hoarder getting a bunch of deposits day 1 when it goes live, maybe thats why all the secrecy.

The whole "product must have our logo" on it thing could be a major bluff. The way its worded even on the website, pay close attention to the part saying what is meant to go into it, but then compare it to what is not meant to go into it. You might notice there is something missing.

it might be nothing, or it might be worth looking into.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

Whether we are or are not meeting the target already is irrelevant.

Are you sure?

I have no idea what you work at but I'd be certain if you spent an absolute fortune trying to achieve a target that was already achieved you'd be fired.

And yet again, you refuse to answer the question.

do you believe there is conclusive evidence to show that we will not meet the collection targets via the RVM model?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Genghis

I had been thinking to myself that the only reason return's logo looks so damn f-ugly is because it was designed to be easily recognised in the vending machines.

Like I stated multiple times, impossible to answer that question without knowing the current collection rates.

It's like demanding to know what time it will be in an hour from a person who doesn't have a watch.

We will have to leave it there, it's just a complete time sink ironically.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,319 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I have water bottles and printed on them saying made from recycled plastic.

Another water softener for clothes also states made from recycled plastic.

Just seen this gives me more hope it is reused again and not burnt.

So i live in hope more will be seen like this to be reused again.

I am happy if its a Green Bin waste collection or one at civic amenity like Balyogan or other.

Its impossible to give an opinion? Its impossible to say if you have conclusive data or not?

You refuse to answer a simple question. You're evasive because you know the answer is "no, there is no conclusive evidence that RVMs do not work". The evidence from Germany is clear, RVM and the system that is being rolled out has demonstrated it is capable of achieving collection rates in excess of 90% for plastic containers and aluminium cans. You might disagree with the rollout, you might disagree that we are not already achieving the target but you cannot disagree that the system being rolled out should be expected to work.

Is it an elaborate and expensive mechanism of achieving that? That's where the debate it. You have no conclusive evidence. Stop pretending you do.

That could also be possible, there's alot of ideas i have with these new RVM machines and alotta things i'd like to try out/test on them.

Some theories i have about how it works become invalid when i consider they're not looking to spend money and want to keep the profits for themself. Some people i have seen suggesting "QR Code Tracking" on each item sold with a deposit on it, and then that code being marked invalid once redeemed so people can't redeem the same item again and again, but this would require different QR codes printed on the bottle/can each time and seems far too costly.

Barcodes need to remain the same as eachother too so theres no way really i can think of that a machine can say the item has already been redeemed, there's apparently no way to track this. In this case the items are most likely destroyed upon being deposited as soon as the voucher is printed out.

What i'm getting at is, lets say a can of coca-cola with the new logo on it, another with the new logo on it, both will have the exact same barcode as eachother. However will they have the same barcode as the previous coca-colas? thats something i'm looking into

What inside the machine tells us that our can is invalid? i realize it attempts to identify the can but thats about it. UNLESS there is something in the machine that looks for the logo. Also i imagine that the logo would have to be printed on the same area on each and every can. There's a cheap way i can imagine this, instead of a reader in the machine that reads the logo, it could be a simple light reactor, something that shines a lazer or light on that part of the can where the logo is, and then reflects back into it from the shine, making it suitable. (meaning the machine thinks its an acceptable can due to the logo shining back or reflecting a certain kind of light. This theory however only applies to cans and not bottles.

if this is how its made, then one might be able in theory to cheat the machine by scratching that area where the logo would normally be, on the old tins that dont have the logo.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,652 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The new cans will have new barcodes as per the scheme rules which have been linked to eleventy billion times on here already.

The barcode and logo recognition will be optically read - and the logo is not even consistently replicated across different products anyway, so that isn't a way to commit fraud here

The current RVMs are not "required" to recognise the ReTurn logo. Its not actually a requirement of the scheme but it may be introduced in the future. As per the RVMs spec.

Where a manufactured opts not to include an Ireland only barcode, they will be charged an additional fee by ReTurn to put the product on the market. Containers with international barcode will work in RVMs with or without the ReTurn logo. That's the major fraud hole that does exist. However, my understanding is that nearly all manufactures have opted to make Ireland only barcodes so while there is a risk, it appears to be tiny. You would also only be making 15c a container and you'd have to buy the container in the first place.

Technically, you could import a shed load of non-ReTurn containers that have international barcodes here but you'd be caught VERY quickly theres traceability in the system and CCTV would "likely" be installed to identify who is doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Genghis

Is CCTV part of the spec / requirement for RVM installs?

No, I don’t believe so.

However, each shipment of bottles from each RVM can be identified at the processing centre as they are bagged and tagged upon collection. If there’s a lot of fraud happening, they’ll identify the RVM, they won’t get the 15c as their RVM accepted an incorrect container. Shop out of pocket and it’s likely they’ll do something.

It doesn’t stop someone going to Aldi today, Lidl tomorrow, Dunne’s the next day etc

theres a few assumptions there but that’s how I believe it works (I theory). The odd international barcode isn’t an issue. I also don’t believe there will be many (or possibly any) international barcodes. The big producers will have an Ireland only barcode. It would be smaller obscure imported drinks that would it opt for an Ireland only barcode.

If there’s a large amount of fraud happening, they’ll mandate the machine can recognise the ReTurn logo (as per the RVM spec guidelines - it “may” be required)

RVMs installed at my local Aldi where there’s no visible CCTV (may be there tho).

I Was theorizing the first part myself, i had a hunch. As for the rest i've seen what some cctv footage looks like before, unless the cctv is on the actual rvm itself (simular to that on atm's) its going to be hard for them to see each can in good enough quality on the cctv to see if it has a return logo on it, or to see who's doing it. I Can imagine the timestamp's of the machines usage, or the code number on the receipt being used to try identify who's putting what where. But considering the cost of all that i doubt they will actually install that sort of security until it becomes such a problem that they're forced to. Remember they want money out of this too.

Actually come to think of it, would'nt this be doing them a favor in terms of helping them reach their target goal for upping the numbers of cans recycled? is the end goal meeting the numbers required to show the EU? or is the end goal profit? if both, which is the main end goal is what im asking, the priority

It’d be fraud and I still think quite difficult to do. Feasible to do tho.

I think CCTV is more likely to catch the car reg rather than your face.

Interesting, but this is assuming such a perpetrator has their vehicle in distance of cctv, or even has a vehicle.

Would be funny to see someone dressed as a farmer, or dressed as a clown, with a wheelbarrow full of dodgey cans on the cctv.

Realisticly though, jokes aside, detection of this sort of thing might be harder because the deposit of dodgy or modified cans (if they did work and give a deposit) would not show anythings up until after the deposited number has exceeded the cans sold. Hard to put into words, what im trying to say is that on paper re-turn could assume does redeems are the unclaimed deposits.

it only becomes noticeable AFTER the deposit becomes exceeded vs the amount sold. its when the numbers don't make sense is when attention is drawn to this issue.

As someone had mentioned earlier, recycling rates 140% lol. Until then its easily assumed that people are just getting back their deposits (fraudster getting the unclaimed deposits via other nonsuitable cans). After thats done, when the real people who actually paid a deposit on their cans start to redeem their cans for the deposit voucher, thats when the numbers start to go crazy. And the legit person can't be blamed. it would be like looking for a needle in a haystack, unless theres someway to trace what time the dodgy nonsuitable cans where deposited. And if the machine is gonna crush them or shread them anyway, How will we know? by assuming the highest redeemer of deposits is guilty? thats not feasible in court. There needs to be some way of proving it beyond all resonable doubt. Otherwise all you got is a video of someone putting cans into a machine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,045 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Got your proof yet? I suspect the answer is no because what you're saying is untrue, but I said I'd ask anyway

However, each shipment of bottles from each RVM can be identified at the processing centre as they are bagged and tagged upon collection.

Really, have you a link for that?

Absolute nightmare for a driver to bag a load of shredded plastic and metal.

Where did I say it was a plastic bag? Where did I say the driver bagged them? You’re making assumptions.

Yes, I have a link to the details on ReTurns site. I’ll provide evidence when you provide yours from earlier. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,452 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I guess MUP and duty is a charge on the contents rather than the container type, when there are alternatives it might push consumption from plastic to glass and aluminium. Which I think make more sense to recycle. Or reusable containers. It worked for plastic bags.

No need for plastic bags, i'll get the suitcase from the van. I Don't believe the driver bags anything, if anything i'd say a fork lift or a thing thats used for moving vending machines can be used to take the squished metals and plastics. i picture it being squashed like a cube

I never suggested it was a plastic bag.

However, each shipment of bottles from each RVM can be identified at the processing centre as they are bagged and tagged upon collection.

You suggested it was bagged.

past tense: bagged; past participle: bagged

1. 1.
    2. put (something) in a bag.

Is this another one of those alternative facts?

The use of reusable containers has plummeted in countries that have this deposit scheme.

Which understandable really when you think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,452 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Another reason why I wouldn't choose to implement it if true.

If producers and more importantly consumers feel they are being environmentally friendly by being forced to participate in this scheme.

They won't pay for or look for alternatives.

• Advertisement

Provide your evidence and I’ll give you the link. You can argue about semantics all day long if you desire.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement