Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,979 ✭✭✭endainoz

Thankfully things in that regard are turning around, I was pleasantly surprised to see this article.

Of course we'll never get the actual breakdown but it would be very interesting to see how many of these are second generation Irish borne from immigration from around 20 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭green daries

Great to hear its the only thing that will improve house supply. The rest doesn't matter it will be worked out. But if you don't have the trades people you can't build. The only fear I have is people stay away from the harder trades ie blocklaying and plastering and create a bottleneck there👍

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Electrical is fairly well oversubscribed it seems at the moment. Not dogging sparks but a fella told me before theres very little practical skill to it just need to have the know how more so. If hes fairly tuned in and brigbt enough at maths an electrical and instrumentation apprenticeship could be looked at too but it can be done as an add on after serving his time either. Hed so well to avoid the big companies as all hell most likely be at for his time is pulling cable or running out cable tray. Moneys better starting out with a big company but hed be none the better for it even after qualifying. Had a cousin serve his time with suir as soon as he got the papers he left and isnt working as a sparks now at the minute.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 21,413 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Electrical is a trade that will not become redundant. Good tips Carroll. See some time ago MTU in Tralee were looking for people to train as wind turbine technicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭DBK1

While it is a trade that will never become redundant it’s probably the trade that will have the most reduced demand in the future.

I’d be expecting in the not too distant future that new build houses won’t need much electrical labour going into them. They’ll go down the route of cars, tractors etc. where they’ll be wired using a pre made loom to match the plans of the house. Any sort of a labourer will fit the loom then with no qualification required only the ability to read plans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Theres 70 plus apprenticeship available at the moment some of them would be considered mickey mouse ones by some. A lot of them arent related to construction as well. All Solas/Apprenticeship Ireland seem to be concerned about is getting apprentices signed up theres not a massive push to get us qualified at the minute (will have 4 years time served by the time i finish my second off the job phase and this is best case scenario)

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Except it's not thousands of scammers, majority of these people are escaping from terrible situations. People "losing" their passports are doing so to avoid deportation, understandable.

There are a group of people who would like us to believe that we are importing nothing but rapists and murderers, and vilifying any male under the age of 40. But the stats don't back this up. In the 22 years between 2000 & 2022 3 Irish woman were murdered by foreigners, all European citizens. In the same period 6 foreign women were killed by Irish men.

It's scare mongering of the highest degree and a classic tactic of making people afraid and suspicious of another different cohort. Dividing through fear and stopping people from having empathy for humans who have fled god knows what to get here. The pictures and videos from Roscrea should make you feel ashamed to be Irish, threatening and intimidating woman and little children. It would be despicable if it was done to grown men nevermind vulnerable women and kids.

Hopefully it's a turning point in how we treat visitors here.

Having said all that, the lack of a coherent refugee policy from our government is an absolute disgrace, as is the policy of direct provision. Give these people a pathway to visas and becoming integrated into Irish society. The absence of this has left the vacuum for the likes of Micheal O'Keeffe and other racist scumbags to fill

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

I was working 30 years ago, plenty of my neighbours and family had to emigrate, some came back.

This is a different problem, no less serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Have seen an odd WhatsApp video of foreign men coming in and doing stuff they shouldn't. Yes Irish men do the same but they already born here, we don't need to be taking in new trouble makers. Plenty are geuine, plenty are not. Statistic or no statistic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭50HX

Says it all really

Whoever Paul is, he doesn't know a lot about farming, as he's attacking the wrong end of the cow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

He knows good food and knows how to cook it too. He's the chap who said no woman with a penis would be allowed the use of the ladies toilet in his restaurant.

I fully agree that climate change mitigation measures should be fair throughout all society. Yes, methane is a low hanging fruit and is a way of buying time. Fossil fuels are the culprit. Cap those oil/gas wells that are emitting massive amounts of methane as a by product, should be one of the first moves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭50HX

He's often on newstalk...calls out a lot of government nonsense when it's needed

Restaurant in killarney I think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Sure you could say that about any trade couldn't you? Its not hard to turn a screwdriver to terminate a fixture but that doesn't mean there's not a lot of skill to it. Same way it's easy tighten a compression fitting on a tap, or fit a pipe.

As for E&I, massive wait times for phases, up to 20 months for phase 2, I'd not let the comments above put anyone off regarding pulling cable and fitting tray, any good lad with an interest and a bit of cop on will get on just fine. You won't get a start in E&I unless with a big contractor like Suir, Jones ETC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Packrat

Ok. I'm not even going to engage with such wilful blindness. One of us is right, and time will tell. Hopefully it's you but I don't think it will be.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭cute geoge

What kind of drugs are you on because they must be good ones!!!

Try again, not very clever, esp given the poster's profession.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭enricoh

F@#k me, this got 12 likes- Paddy has a way to go yet. No mention of gay lads beheaded and kids stabbed outside crèche.

Sweden, Netherlands etc have right wing governments now after filling their boots with refugees.

We have 130k refugees now here to avail of our welfare wonderland, there is no end to them.

Our domestic economy is under serious pressure with restaurants,cafes, shops closing by the day. When, not if , corporation tax dries up we're on a hiding to nothing.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/rate-of-ukrainians-arriving-in-ireland-10-times-the-eu-average-1553582.html#:~:text=The%20rate%20of%20increase%20of,Ukraine%20over%20the%20same%20period.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

It’s getting a bit heated in here this evening. Back up your opinion with stats. “Plenty” and “loads” are not a real numbers.

Nothing is as black n’ white (no pun intended) as it is presented in the media.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Civil servants are insulated from the real economy, they're running the country so it doesn't make any difference to them that it's being run into the ground. They cant be fired so their job is secure and they'll be paid along with the social welfare recipitents out of the taxes.. They're also running our hospital and schools into the ground,

I've been warning you about this for a while but it's really ramping up now

Post edited by wrangler on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭emaherx

130K refugees, yes a small number have committed awful crimes, but that doesn't mean we blame the rest. I'd rather have most of those refugees than the absolute scum who burn down buildings and public transport or intimidate those already fleeing persecution in the name of saving Ireland from the 'Foreigners'. Disgusted to see so many Neanderthals surrounding and screaming at a a Guest house locally which was full of women with young children.

14 likes now - great to see some of us still have some compassion, it's not all that long ago that many Irish were refugees.

Some of the posts above honestly belong in the conspiracy theories forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭eire23

Id have had the same thoughts as you but lately im not so sure. I'm not against immigration but what's going on surely isn't sustainable?

What's the end game, keep bringing in as many people as possible and see where that leads us? It's hard to fathom and it's giving some lunatics a platform to be heard. If the government handled the whole issue better instead of closing the only hotel in a town for migrants for instance (who in their right mind decided that was a good idea?) surely everyone would be better off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Can't figure out why we didn't bring in a thousand Ukranians every 3 months and train them with our arm forces like the UK instead. Our rangers are very well trained. Be a bigger benefit to Ukraine in de long run

• Registered Users Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭White Clover

The country needs these people out working. Communication from the Government is lacking big time and they are also not succeeding in getting them out to work. If people could see that they were integrating and contributing to the country, there would be a lot less resentment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭enricoh

Does compassion have any limits?

If 130k refugees is ok, is 250k? Is 400k?

The multinationals are seriously peed off with housing here as foreign staff required won't relocate here now. Due to tax changes last week half our tax competitive advantage that attracts them evaporated overnight. It may get bumpy!

With our crazy welfare rates we will have no issues attracting endless refugees.

https://www.businesspost.ie/news/new-corporate-tax-rate-has-halved-irelands-competitive-advantage-for-fdi-says-oecd/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

I know a Ukrainian guy who wants to work. If he does he will loose his free health care and his free house. He will loose his 238( approx) a week and his wife will loose the same. Then both of them have to work and have to keep working or else they get the social welfare and no house. There's 2 kids there as well. He will never work here. There's too much to loose for his family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭DBK1

There was a big protest back last summer in the local village here when there was Ukrainians to be moved in. They were brought in anyway and put in 2 different premises in the village.

A week before Christmas they got notice that they were all being moved out of 1 of the premises and out of the village within a few days. There was another protest to keep them there then!

The majority of them fitted in well in the local community and the kids were settled in the local schools and getting on well there too so the locals are happy to have them there now and want them to stay. Some of them ended up being moved but the majority were allowed stay.

It certainly did confuse some of the local TD’s and councillors when they were getting phone calls of complaints about them being moved from the same people that were complaining they didn’t want them there a few months previously!

Advertisement