Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭b.gud

Sean Jansen wins try of the round for his opening try against Lyon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

Yeah I'd like to see Aungier make his way into that development slot in the next year or two. Furlong, Bealham and TOT (not necessarily in that order imo) are there now with the likes of Aungier and Jager behind them. I wonder is there a case for one of the 5 to switch to loose head.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭conncussed

I'd agree about Aungier. But for Oli Jager he might have been in the conversation for that training slot callup. Like it or not Jager was very likely to be brought in after Munster bringing him back from NZ.

I also think his recent lack of minutes might hurt him too. Only 40 mins across the Christmas interpros, then falling ill when he was likely to get 60+ minutes against Lyon. He could have put down a big marker in France by locking down the scrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

What Forde in the centre has provided is go forward. And then he can kick as well. What JJ and Jack has provided is no go forward and mixed kicking results. Is it not worth a punt. Otherwise it's just more of the same

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭ShineyShiney

Disappointed for Prendergast. It's hard to shine in an underperforming side. He has time on his side.

I don't get Timoneys inclusion. I like him as a player but I'd happily have Hodnet, Prendergast, Connors, Ahern, Penny, Deegan or Combes in there ahead of him. No disrespect intended, Timoney is decent enough and won't let anyone down but can't help feeling there's a touch of politics in that one.

Otherwise a fairly predictable selection.

On Aungier, let's remember that Salanoa was the next man in before Jager arrived and if anyone suggested we let Aungier go and sign Salanoa I'd think they were proper nuts. Aungier should be very close to that panelist 🙄 set up imo

• Advertisement

https://www.google.com/search?q=definition+of+underperforming&oq=definition+of+underperforming+&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUyBggAEEUYOTIKCAEQABgPGBYYHjIICAIQABgWGB4yCAgDEAAYFhgeMgwIBBAAGAoYDxgWGB4yDQgFEAAYhgMYgAQYigUyDQgGEAAYhgMYgAQYigUyDQgHEAAYhgMYgAQYigUyDQgIEAAYhgMYgAQYigXSAQg5NzYzajBqN6gCALACAA&client=ms-android-oppo-rvo3&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8&chrome_dse_attribution=1#sbfbu=1&pi=definition%20of%20underperforming

Truthfully this is not an underperforming side.. Many players play so well. It is more about some players who play so poorly and I think we all know about selection issues.

So that's grand. But what really is our strategy? I can't see anything. What is Wilkins plan. Totally lost.

Not one minute of sun in Lyon over the last 5 days. Utterly fecking freezing every day. But a lovely city. Didn't realise that the Boston Tavern was sitting in the middle of Hotel de Ville.

"Many players play so poorly" is that not what underperforming is? If those many players played less poorly then we wouldn't be underperforming 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

I agree on a NIQ loosehead and 10 but with both JJ and Jack still under contract it's hard to see another coming in. I don't think either 10s are good enough for starters but either could be kept as back up next season. Harry Byrne would be a fantastic option but he has gotten in to the Irish squad where he is so I doubt he is an option. Tector would be a good pick up. What's the story with West ? Would be nice to see what level he is at. Fullback needed too as TOH seems to be picking up a lot of injuries. He started the season well which is a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

CONNACHT VS BRISTOL BEARS

20:00, Friday 19th January 2024 @ The Sportsground

15. Tiernan O’Halloran (228)

14. Andrew Smith (6)

13. David Hawkshaw (21)

12. Bundee Aki (131)

11. Shayne Bolton (9)

10. JJ Hanrahan (11)

9. Caolin Blade (181)

1. Denis Buckley (239)

2. Tadgh McElroy (9)

3. Finlay Bealham (196)

4. Niall Murray (65)

5. Joe Joyce (10)

6. Cian Prendergast (58)

7. Shamus Hurley-Langton (29)

8. Jarrad Butler (121)

16. Dave Heffernan (188)

17. Peter Dooley (28)

18. Jack Aungier (59)

19. Oisín Dowling (52)

20. Conor Oliver (74)

21. Michael McDonald (4)

22. Jack Carty (203)

23. Oran McNulty (14)

Tadhg McElroy looks to have worked out as a nice pick up for Connacht, and seems to be getting plenty of game time (9 games, 5 starts).

I know his line out throwing still isn't where you'd want it to be, but he's a good player around the park and has an abrasive style that I like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

It's strange to me that we essentially retired a very decent player in Shane Delanhunt, seemingly to facilitate Tierney-Martin (who was given a three year contract last year, a rarity usually reserved only for top players like Prendergast, Hansen etc.), only to jettison him in favour of McElroy. Nothing against McElroy, just seems unusual for an opportunistic short term signing to move up the depth chart so quickly.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

It's great to see Tiernan back fit. He may be at the tail end of his career but our backfield is much better managed when he's on the pitch.

Niall Murray finally gets a start too. He'll be trying to impose himself on the game and prove to the coaches that he's been underused this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭Wegians89

DTM must be struggling with some sort of injury in the background, makes no sense he’s getting so little game time. At least with Niall Murray you could say they’re prioritising size in the second row.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

Tierney-Martin has had injury issues, at the moment something with the neck which has kept him out last week and this.

McElroy has just worked out well, and in some weird way, this is not a huge surprise. It's ironic that he was to come to Connacht years ago, opted for Saracens, got dropped from the Irish U20s as a result - a lot of drama. And then he ends up back here with us after all. Is ait an mac an saol.

The player who has actually suffered in this scenario though is Eoin de Buitléar, he signed a pro contract last year and has had a grand total of fifteen minutes this season...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

i'm tryng to avoid doing something in work so I've gone back through the appearances by all of connacht's hookers.

Based on the team that was named last week before DTM pulled up injured, the numbers are as follows for the first 12 games of the season:

Heffernan: 6 appearances, 4 starts, 4 weeks injured (start of season)

DTM: 9 appearances, 4 starts*,

McElroy: 9 appearances, 4 starts*

DTM got all of his starts at the start of the season, when heffernan was out. Then he missed out last week.

There's only been 2 games when McElroy started and DTM was on the bench vs 4 when the inverse happened.

Mostly it looks to me like Heffernan is still the preferred choice and the rest is a pretty even rotation between McElroy and DTM.

And now It's my break time. Look how successful all of that was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭testtech05

Good few changes again this week, good to see Niall Murray getting an opportunity and Tiernan back should help shore up the back field cover a bit.

Few strange calls for me besides. I know we don't see the full list of knocks etc but Thornbury I thought we might see involved again after being brought back in over the Christmas period and Farrell again who for me is by far our best 13 plays a game and then seems to not be in the squad for the next game, maybe he is carrying injuries too. I don't know offhand but Id wager we have had an awful lot of different pairings in the center this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

DTM has played the same amount of games as McElroy to be fair this season. I'd hardly say he's been jettisoned in favour of McElroy.

In fairness to McElroy he's played well and taking his chances. Just because you have a long contract it doesn't and shouldn't guarantee selection

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Yeah jettisoned was too strong a word. My point was more that the long contract indicates to me that he is or was extremely highly rated by the coaching staff, and even the fact that he is sharing minutes with a short term signing is notable. When the decision was made to release Delahunt, the plan would have been for DTM to take his place in the depth chart, as the McElroy deal was not completed until much later. Of course there is always the chance for a player to increase their standing through particularly impressive performances, for example I doubt any depth chart would have projected Cian Prendergast to become a starter while still in the academy. I don't think that's happened here though, to my eye McElroy has been decent but not a standout. I do like his abrasiveness but his darts are some way below the required standard.

It's not a big deal, just something I would note as what I'd interpret as a wider pattern of odd selections, along with the banishment of Matthew Burke, release of Shane Delahunt, non-selection of Niall Murray, and constant rotation in the back row, at out half, and on the wing. I feel like we rotate to the point that we don't have an identifiable first choice team or depth chart.

The Tom Farrell selection issue is beyond puzzling. If anyone can break a defensive line it's Tom. And while I don't wish to be critical, I didn't think Hawkshaw did much to merit his start this Friday. And as realhorrorshow says the selections being made this year are equivalent to musical chairs rather than any obvious logic.

How many different pairings have we had this season at centre

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

Not including changes during the game, there's been 8 unique partnerships named in the starting line-ups (including a new one for tomorrow):

12 Forde

13 Farrell

12 Daly

13 Ralston

12 Forde

13 Hawkshaw

12 Forde

13 Ralston

12 Aki 

13 Farrell

12 Aki

13 Forde

12 Daly

13 Farrell

12 Aki

13 Hawkshaw

He's been mentioned in another couple of posts since but I'll just quote this one.

DTM picked up a neck injury during the warmup in Lyon. Given that we have both McElroy and Heff fit I don't see any reason to risk a reoccurance six days later.

If it wasn't for that DTM would have 50-60 mins against Lyon and a decent chance of benching this week.

Keeping the national team happy. I think his selection will be so Bundee can come off early and so Bundee won't need to switch to 13. Tom Farrell is our best 13 but he's really a one position man.

We're very light on backs and Hawkshaw is one of the few players who adds that flexibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Niall Murray is a strange one. It seems that they're pushing Daragh at Niall's expense.

In all my years of following Connacht rugby this is one year that has been beyond bizarre. I can only describe it as managerial wollox

• Registered Users Posts: 14,449 ✭✭✭✭cson

Is there any movement on the Sportsground redevelopment? I remember read early last month they got another 10m & it were targeting 25/26 season for the new stand.

• Advertisement

I suspect that's a bit behind schedule.

My understanding (open to correction from better informed people) is that the ground work for the new training centre and clubhouse are getting started with the new Clan Stand to follow immediately on completion.

Edit: see update below.

Post edited by conncussed on

Advertisement