Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,415 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Captain may ask others for their input, but he decides. I included the liason with the ref because it's a key role, which you minimised Fox. It's a constant function throughout a match. for many players that would distract from their own game as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

Way back, during a RWC, Munster played Ospreys in TP on the evening that Ireland played Wales in the RWC. Both Munster and Ireland lost. The Irish game could well have been a RWC QF.

Later that night Anthony Foley, a guy who I had huge respect for and who had more rugby knowledge than any other person I'd ever met was asked about POM who played for and possibly captained Munster that evening, Foley, replied he's the real deal and he'll captain every team he'll play for.

I'm delighted to see him get the role of captain for his country. An honour he truely deserves

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭crossman47

No, no and no again. Concentrate on the tournament you're playing this year. Its not as if we've won a pile of SNs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

How did I minimize it? I went out of my way to call it out as the key skill to be a captain, the only thing that people should care about:

The role is nearly 100% ceremonial so it shouldnt really bother folks who gets it once they're able to deal with the ref.

You've provided zero examples different to my original statement that you replied 'WTF' to, outside of an incredibly rare scenario where the captain decides to overrule the other leaders on the pitch. Given that POM rarely lasts 80 minutes, it is unlikely he'll even be on the field for decisive decisions towards the end of the game so any positive he brings to this will be limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Leeinnnnnnster

Was just looking over the highlights of the interprovincial matches.

Have to think this went a long way towards some players not getting selected

https://youtu.be/YGZ6LupN0uI?feature=shared

• Advertisement

I fully get your points around how it's weaponised by fans online etc, and the troll accounts and spoofers like OTB etc, but I don't think any of that stuff filters down into the squad.

I think Farrell will have to have given some thought to POM's age, recent injury profile and the fact that he surely wants to get minutes into and get a look at the other options over the next 12 months, so it mightn't be that shocking not to see POM even start all 5 games in the 6N, regardless of form or fitness.

I get the point as well on an 'alpha' character not necessarily needing the title, but I still think ultimately the captain in most squads is kind of evident within the team environment. Tadhg Beirne's comments on POM's role last week for Munster in the lead up to and during the Toulon game effectively kind of said the same.

I don't see how that type of negativity doesn't filter back to the team either directly or indirectly. What impact it has I don't know but why sign yourself up for it?

Feel your example from last week proves my point. POM was able to have that big impact without being captain.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,582 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

The chap who sh*t the bed on a certain try and the 10 whom was charged down beforehand…,

• Advertisement

Post edited by aloooof on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Post edited by aloooof on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭ersatz

Generally not the way to goes in Ireland though. There are many things that happen in France that just don't happen in Ireland, captaincy seems to be one of them. Sexton was captain far beyond his sell by date if you ask me, yet he retained the arm band. Rotating captaincy or campaign captaincy is attractive but its just very unlikely that Farrell will go for it, no more than provinces go for it. Leinster currently is an example with the comical dual captaincy stuff where refs are dismissing one captain in favour of another, not very alpha. That won't last long and they will revert to their norm of having a captain until he's carried out on his shield. Taking the captaincy off BOD was so rare that it was a major story.

POM as alpha rather than a number of others stretches credulity. This is an international rugby team, its comprised of 23 of the best rugby players in the country, many if not most have experience as captains. There is not a shortage of alpha personalities among the group. And I think you are overestimating how prominent the captains influence is within the group, there are many leaders who aren't captain but who are respected by virtue of their experience, their work ethic, their personality and ability as a mentor, etc etc. The captain in these sorts of environments is rarely if ever truly exceptional. The main job that matters to the team is the ability to squeeze a percentage point or two out of refs while decision making (penalties, corner, etc) is often by consultation. Communication is the beginning and end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,419 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

POM has been in outstanding form and led his team to winning the URC last season.

No player should be un droppable, even the captain but there isnt a single professional athlete at the top level for ad long as Pete has been playing who has never had a bad day at the office.

POM is a natural leader and the team clearly look up to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,419 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

The captain leads the players out into the pitch, he gives the team talk before the game, at half time and after the game. It's a very important role. Aside from liaising with the referee

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

Not to mention coming back from a really bad ACL injury

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭mun1

Great call by Farrell to make POM Ireland captain. Others have had their chance and sh1t the bed.

No, I don’t think that’s accurate.

Obviously by comparison to ordinary Joe’s they’re all strong characters etc, but the dynamic will always shift in a team environment and people slot into different roles.

I also don’t necessarily subscribe to this view that captaincy is just about communication with a ref. I don’t think for example that POM is best in this squad at that, I’m certain Sexton wasn’t. (I also find it funny James Ryan is criticised for the handful of incidents in December where he got on the wrong side of refs, as he’s probably the most similar personality to POM and Sexton in the squad).

I know in this era stuff has evolved slightly to leadership groups etc, but even still the captain is the ultimate leader in the group. I’ve read how BOD and POC spoke before about the demands it places on captains in match week etc, when they’ve to make themselves available to the whole squad etc. There are a whole host of tasks associated with the role well beyond just chatting to a referee IMO.

Agree with basically all of that, including POM's recent form (ignoring how little he has played since the WC).

POM has however gone through a number of periods during his career where his performance levels dropped significantly. He is plays a position where Ireland probably has the most depth, along with two of the most exciting young talents coming through in Ahern and Baird.

POM can be a natural leader that the team looks up to with having the captaincy.

AF has just boxed himself into a potential difficult future situation which I don't see as being smart for the Irish team (though obviously great for POM personally).

• Advertisement

Id give Sheehan or Crowley a chance at captaincy after POM. Maybe Doris as well into the equation, always comes across well on TV

Actually forget about the lions tour only a year away. POM has to be favorite as captain for that , surely with Farrell as head coach. Be great to see it from an Ireland POV.

Leading the team out falls into the ceremonial bucket that I mentioned in my original post.

You haven't been watching the Irish team closely if you've missed how most of the leadership team play their part in giving team talks, you regularly see them taking turns. Do you believe POM never gave a team talk in a match where Sexton was the captain?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭KaneToad

I agree about his passing, it's crisp and hits the target consistently. Kicking needs some more work. I agree re his age and his potential to improve. Hopefully he continues an upward trajectory.

I don't think he has reached a higher level than Murray, to make it into the 23. But he's not far off it. At this level all of these players are a very high standard and it's fine margins between them. We get the rare outstanding peerless players; Sexton, O'Driscoll, Wood, O'Connell but they are few and far between.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭theVersatile

As much as I appreciate the attempt to wind up two sets of fans, Blade and Coombes are having very average seasons, and I sincerely doubt Farrell chose not to select them on the basis of a single incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭ersatz

Most of the senior players can/do play the role of mentoring and could play the role associated with being available to the squad, not everyone but this rarely comes down to one individual being absolutely vital as others simply don't have the requisite skills. The exception to that is communication skills under pressure on the field when dealing with the ref. Ten or 12 years playing at the highest level prepares most players for most situations they come across but not that one. It's been glaringly obvious on a few occasions with Sexton and Ryan that they've simply ended up on the wrong side of the ref because they aren't great at that role. POC was a master at it and BOD was pretty good. Could the captain have done a better job in protecting Porter from the refs interpretation of what happened in the scrum last season?...I have no idea but its vital that the captain does that job well or he shouldn't be captain.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Mod: Poster has been banned, folks, so no need to respond to any of his posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

POM has been in outstanding form

He's played one game this season

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

In an effort to steer this onto some semblance of reasonable discussion, anyone know the answer to this?

Agreed. Ross Byrne would obviously have been in if fit, any ideas of his return date yet?

Advertisement