Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold spell - 14/15th January onward

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭Comhrá

First time I saw -4.6c in Limerick City this morning for a few years.

Some interesting ferns on the windows:

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭smallwonder

Can anyone see if there are more showers about to hit Donegal? Stuck in Letterkenny waiting to see if Bus eireann will run their buses to Dublin. Main roads seem ok but there has been no thaw here so everywhere else is lethal. Be lovely to look at if you didn't have to move!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Pretty heavy snow here in North Mayo. I know it probably doesn't make much difference but surely this should have been a yellow / orange warning for some counties?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Kerry Airport was at -9°c when it started reporting at 9am this morning! Quite a dip!

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭ascophyllum

All white with a hard frost in Southwest Mayo this morning, even along the sea, many roads very icy and there is significant disruption. Inland some areas had quite a nice amount of snow yesterday evening. Lots of schools had to close as roads were too dangerous. Beautiful sunshine now over the white fields.

This has been quite an amazing settled and cold spell which delivered so.much beautiful weather and a bit more snow than we were expecting here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭WolfeEire
    Clare (410ft asl)

Conditions for orange alert below. Looks like you would have been in that territory. The alert system is unbalanced in my opinion. We get orange alerts for bog standard wind events and none for arguably more impactful weather events like this.

Orange:

3cm or greater in 6 hrs

5cm or greater in 12 hrs

10cm or greater in 24 hrs

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 5,632 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Mayo is under a yellow warning for snow/ice until 11am today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Didn't spot that; usually it shows up as a banner on the rte website but maybe that's only for orange+ warnings

• Registered Users Posts: 9,322 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭well24

For me Id pay it hands down... Dont people pay to go abroad for the snow in winter and the sun in summer... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Haha true. I go abroad for the sun all year round though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I think the dogs were a bit younger the last time I post them in snow on boards :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Dry snow

• Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'm up in North inishowen and there's a heavy hail/snow shower again now.

To add to the white already blanketing the countryside. No let up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭highdef

They do indeed but they choose to do so, if they can afford to do so (most of the time!). The extra cost of heating bills due to cold weather is not a choice that an individual can make if they want to stay warm and comfortable. There's simply no comparison between the scenarios described.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭well24

Always a choice, put on extra clothes for example..

Anyway in this country its only ever a coupla days so it aint gonna break the bank.

So I agree, their is no comparison on a cost basis between a few days of paying for extra heating and a holiday abroad :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,176 ✭✭✭squonk

Agree. It’s just a few days every year. We have been pretty fortunate in recent winters not to have had extended period of derp cold. I find in putting in the heating more because it’s a damp dark day than because it’s icy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

My car is stuck half way down the hill since last night. Couldn't get a grip on the road this morning to move it.

Myself and the kids at home. Main road at bottom is clear.

Big question is will there be a thaw tonight so I can get to work tomorrow?

North Kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'd guess no.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Some tricky spots around Tralee today on the secondary roads, estates and town footpaths but main roads are well salted. Beautiful day.

Pic: Kerry Sports Academy short time ago and the upper part of the town around 09.00, still snow in the estates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭pauldry

Nice clear satellite. Ya can make out the snow fields in the West and North. A light covering of talc in Sligo last night

The road today

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I don't think so, it will freeze hard tonight- it will be the coldest night of the spell. Although it will turn milder quickly tomorrow, but I think it will still be frosty during the early morning in North Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭maebee

Co. Clare, this morning.

Yes, looking at it objectively it definitely wasn't a bust, but if you think about it subjectively nearly every cold spell is a bust for someone in the country. Indeed i remember a poster last winter saying December 2010 wasn't great because they had very little snow in their backyard:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

I'd say the cold tonight will freeze a lot of water pipes in houses. Of course nobody will even know until after the thaw

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

Woke up to a snowy scene at my own location (east of Castlebar) this morning. We had a decent shower early last night that put down a foundation of snow very easily. Then between 3.30 and 5.00 am this morning, my own location was in the firing line of some snow showers in that northerly flow that topped up the earlier snow nicely. Enjoyed the bit of radar and lamp post watching in the wee hours! Real dry snow also which often isn't the norm in these parts with showers coming in off the Atlantic.

A wintry scene at the dawn of day in this part of Mayo this morning.

The dying embers of a snow shower ahead of the sunrise this morning.

Followed by a snowy sunrise.

A few other shots above from a snow crunching ramble this morning.

Class photos!

It rained there. What's that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Not what I'm wanting to hear. I can't even reverse down the hill safely. If it's frozen in the morning Ive another day off.

Advertisement