Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Sorry I meant the icj case allegation of genocide, I was typing quickly

Hamas are the reason for this current bout of conflict but the wars between arabs and Israelis existed before hamas and will continue after them. I don't think killing 20k odd civilians will bring peace to the country regardless what happens to hamas.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,338 ✭✭✭volchitsa

"Hamas are the reason for this current bout of conflict" - well then, posters against them being held up at marches for peace are not "strange" at all, or shouldn't be. What do you think a one-sided ceasefire from Israel could possibly achieve other than to allow Hamas to regroup and start all over again?

Or are Israel not allowed to defend themselves against murders by Hamas?

Post edited by volchitsa on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭combat14

hard to believe we are now seeing pakistan strikes on iranian territory

further US strikes on houthi pirates

even jordanian strikes in syria

hamas and iran have set off a chain of events that no one predicted

I have a problem with Israel killing 20k odd civilians and that figure is only going up. Their methods are not protecting civilian life and will only produce the next generation of terrorists. People seem to be under the misconception that destroying Hamas will bring peace not taking into account the circumstances that created Hamas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭ollkiller

Thousands of innocent civilians get killed...................but look at the wording on that placard thousands of miles away. The wording on the placard. Oh my God. How can you hold that placard? How?

Seriously? Is this what you throw back as defence of Israel's actions now. Pathetic.

But we're not talking about Israel here - this is about people objecting to Hamas. In the west.

Hamas whom you agree started this particular bout of violence in which Gazans are dying by the thousand. Hamas who have murdered hundreds of Palestinian opponents in Gaza. Who for years have been misappropriating UN funds for refugees in order to maintain their war against Israel.

You're literally saying that nobody should protest against Hamas starting the war until - what? Until Israel have been forced by western pressure to give up and allow Hamas to regroup and do it all again - as they've promised to? That'll work.

No I'm saying the protests are pretty irrelevant to the situation in Gaza, i couldnt give a rats what they have on their placards. Protests or even the ICJ won't stop Israel doing anything only the US.

I'm more concerned about civilians being killed, hostages being released and Hamas being removed. I'm also concerned that the civilian deaths will cause another terrorist organisation to Spring up after this operation.

It sounds as though you think an absence of a military response from Israel would have let Hamas just die out. It seems to me that that would inevitably have led to more such attacks, not just from Hamas in Gaza but also in the West Bank and from Hezbollah in Lebanon.

I'd love to hear your thinking about what Israel should have done instead on Oct 8th and afterwards, that would have led to peace?

Not kill 20k civilians. Not continue to use methods that are resulting in such large civilian casualties. Not kill 6k kids and think that peace will be possible after.

• Advertisement

I didn't ask what they shouldn't have done. You've already made your thinking on that clear.

I asked what you think they should have done? For the moment, it seems your answer is "nothing". Would that be right?

Here's my suggestion: assassinate the leaders of hamas or perhaps allow civilians to leave gaza provide them safe haven in Israel before bombing the place.

What so you support? kill 20k civilians, kill 6k kids, build support for the next terrorist group there, not allow civilians to leave?

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Hey boy

No it’s not a defence of Israel’s actions and literally no one said it was. Don’t make stuff up please.

Really hopeless when posters jump in with both feet and don’t bother reading the thread first.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,445 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

How long would you have given Israel to implement your displacement suggestion before they started bombing? How do you prevent Hamas from infiltrating with the Gazans moving somewhere (Israel, Egypt,...)

Because I think if you work it through, you'd be talking months before Israel could begin the offense to get the hostages back. Should the Israeli people wait months? Why should Hamas let hostages go while the Gazans leave Gaza? They can strut and preen online showing how much tougher than Israel, and give their crazed associates like the Houthis time to organize for an eventual Israeli attack.

As we've seen in the past weeks, it takes awhile and a great deal of planning (and luck) to blithely assassinate anyone, certainly Hamas buried in Lebanon or Qatar.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭jmreire

I'm pretty sure that they have achieved at least some of their objectives by now. If this was Vladimir Putin, he would have finished his " Special Gaza military Operation" in weeks, never mind months. The problem with Putin's method is that all of Gaza would be in rubble. All of it, and the surrounding area as well. And the tunnels (assuming anyone was still alive in them) would be inoperable as all of Gaza would be resting on top of them. Now Hamas hides amongst the general population, and cry "Murderous Jews" when they are attacked. There was an anti-Vietnam singer / song writer who wrote songs, and one verse reminds me of the current situation in Gaza. It goes something like this:- " Every night the local gentry slips out past the sleeping sentry, they go to play at VC, in this little nightly drama, they put on their black pajamas' and come throwing mortar shells at me."

He could well have been writing about Hamas.

We dont know how successful exactly the hostage recovery operation will be until the end of the operation but it is a fact that they successfully released about 100 at the end of November and none since. The breakdown of negotiations since that ceasefire ended has made it very unlikely that the hostages will survive this conflict.

Do I think it would have been worthwhile to wait to bomb Gaza. Yes of course if it resulted in a much reduced civilian death total. The gazans will be looking for revenge for their casualties for years to come. Hamas destroyed with a much reduced civilian casualty rate would be a win for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭jmreire

Oh, I'd say that it has worked beyond their wildest dreams, problem now for Hamas (and others too) has it worked only too well? Now Muslims killing other Muslims? They have put a match to a tinder dry forest. And in some cases, nothing to do with Palestine either.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,199 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Should the Israeli people wait months for what? Revenge?

And is that time worth civilian lives? There's no need to kill Hamas immediately. They're boxed in and surrounded by larger forces than they have been at any time. Israel could take time. they could formulate a plan. They could bide their time and go after leaders when the opportunity arises. They could start negotiating/planning with moderates what a post hamas gaza looks like. Israel has shown throughout it's history that it's willing to bide it's time and go after it's enemies. Israel didn't need to bomb start bombing the city as fast as they did. They bombed the city because they wanted to. They started immediately because they wanted to.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭ollkiller

It's been used countless times throughout this thread to deflect with a "look over here" tactic.

"Should the Israeli people wait months for what? Revenge?"

Israel acted to get the hostages back. Should they have waited? What would've happened to the hostages then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭AlanG

The ISW rerports have been so one sided and their wording so baised that it really makes me question their analysis of the Ukraine war. You can even see in the above how they talk about the palestinians being agressive and not really the IDF. All the IDF ever seem to do according to the ISW is drop aid. They also rarely report IDF casualties.

They negotiated got a hundred back before the ceasefire broke down. Since that broke down and they have gone back to bombing gaza they have got none back so not a successful strategy (so far)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Seeing as how it looks like the IDF have killed more hostages than Hamas (the IDF have also killed more Israeli civilians than Hamas, since Oct 7) I would guess that would mean more hostages would still be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Hey boy

Nonsense.

I am the one that brings it up from time to time and have explained why each time. Still no one has offered any satisfactory explanation as to why no one on these marches protests Hamas. I note you haven’t opined on that either.

Besides which it wouldn’t be very effective as a deflection tactic by me given you can post whatever you want when you want to…

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭amandstu

Israel won't allow them to leave and Egypt won't allow themselves be complicit with ethnic cleansing. There's also the very real possibility if it did happen, Israel won't allow them back into Gaza.

Israel could have easily set up a tent city outside of Gaza (on Israeli land) to provide a safe space, to provide humanitarian and medical aid to all women and children, but choose not to. Hamas were defeated in northern Gaza, Israel could have allowed people (women and children) move back, not that there's much to go back to, but it should be a safer space than the south (provided Israel allow aid in unhindered)

Nonsense. Do you know how many hostages are in Gaza, vs. the Israeli estimate. Hamas has told you they've not killed any? Even through denial of medication (you can be sure, the Hamas leaders in Gaza get all their meds.)

Per the account of one of the returned hostages, the main thing Hamas is doing right now, is keeping the Gazan locals from getting ahold of the hostages. She recounted her car, on the way to the release point, being pelted and attacked by Gazans. So I guess they're in slightly safer hands than if they were loose in Gaza.

Yes, and it took some bombing to get Hamas to the table. Not like they volunteered or came willingly.

I'm not going by estimates, I'm going by confirmed deaths. If there's evidence of Hamas killing hostages, you're free to share it. Before you ask, I'm not looking for graphic videos.

• Advertisement

Well, we'll have to wait then once the final tally's done, because you can be certain Hamas isn't going to willingly provide that data.

Nice strawman though.

Advertisement