Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

150KTubs - future career in Virgin Radio and other soulful pursuits **Mod: Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭HBC08

Do you need a new email address aswell everytime you do this?

It must be all consuming.

If I didn't know better I'd say somebody is trying to get the thread closed down.......

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭fplfan12345

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Yeah, no-one in England knows who Chris Evans, Graham Norton, Jayne Middlemiss and Ricky Wilson are

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭yagan

Steady on, Graham Norton has got talent for hosting, never really got Evans but I'm not English and I don't know who the other two are.

But certainly in a lot of early arts careers years of going broke preceded success. It's what making a name of yourself means.

If Ryan had been worth as much as RTE paid him he would have been back on another radio station days after he was dropped.

Some day he might even read a book over 400 pages long! I know there's many here waiting for his review of Wuthering Heights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Obviously the “nepo baby” digs were relevant in RTE, but he’s confounded his critics by landing squarely on his feet in London. That’s all him. He’s not Rupert Murdoch’s grandson.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭Tork

In theory going to London is a good plan. We know he's not going to be returning to RTE in the short-term. None of the other Irish stations seemed to be biting. When you're in the entertainment business, the only thing that's worse than being talked about is not being talked about. He was starting to become yesterday's man. His radio show and the Late Late are doing fine without him. So what's left for him to do other than post on Instagram and turn up to open things in Connemara? He's not even trying to tailor his shtick to suit a British radio audience which makes me think this is a short-term gig to keep him occupied until something opens up back in Ireland. Maybe he'll become a permanent Q102 presenter and they'll quietly shelve in him London.

I think his MoS diary said he bought a lamp in Argos in Kilburn (he was recognised by a fan in the queue), but he may very well have bought seating for the apartment in St. John’s Wood somewhere too.

I can imagine him settling in London for the long haul to retirement because he'll never get another shot at that rte radio slot. It actually lost listeners under him but has been gaining since he left

The late late show is having a renaissance too.

• Advertisement

• I think “team tubs” is playing what Tubs himself would describe as an “intriguing” game, well coordinated, some repetitively unintelligent, though I say play-acting utter thickness may be a shtick, a ruse.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Eh, you're half right, but his reaction when he googles it and saw it (for the 1st time) was of genuine "new discovery".

You can listen back if you like.

And you're half wrong.. He continually talks down to his audience by name dropping and associating himself with "the stars" and not listening to his callers stories. IE: as previously mentioned in a post above about a lady who was talking about loving Saville

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭fplfan12345

Think it fairly transparent, to everyone, that the despicable bookmaker is paying for his gig there.

So if by confounded you actually meant he has compounded the idea that everything in his life has been laid on for him then yes that’s 100% correct.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

moderator: feels like we're all a bit long in the tooth for me to have to tell people how to internet...but don't feed the troll. just report and ignore. by replying you're giving them what they're after. never mind giving me a pain in the mickey having to clean up replies and replies to replies. ta luv

I don't think he was ever smart enough to play thick.

As pointed out earlier in this thread he adopted the mannerisms and style of a well known US host and never really veered from that jittery interpretation since.

He actually might have a chance to reinvent himself if he embraced England and forgot about Ireland for a while.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

This was a man that would cut across and down children on the toy show. I'm not sure he has the awareness to feign ignorance when appropriate.

• Not the T but the T’s assistant. That’s my final comment on that, as Mod said don’t feed em.

RTS, I’m not the troll the good moderator was referring to. It was a particularly nasty post earlier targeting an honest contributor to the thread that some of us then responded to, rather than just reporting and moving on.

You’re perfectly ok to respond to me, or to posts responding to me.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Enda Caldwell

"He actually might have a chance to reinvent himself if he embraced England and forgot about Ireland for a while."

100%.

There is a massive TSA of 64+ million there and even if Virgin's DAB only reaches 83% or so of that - its all to play for. He is up against Ken Bruce, Vernon Kay, Radio X, Radio 1, Heart, Smooth....Magic... Kiss! And soooooo many many more!!

"Keep it tight, sound butch, play the Hits... "Buddy" lol to quote a certain well known Dublin Radio consultant, buddy!

One / two thoughts per max 30/60/90 sec link / break would suffice. Keep it topical, relevant, friendly. Talk "Up" your listener - don't lecture them!

Instead each day the listener is treated to what sounds like an either adderal or coked up hot mess who talks like a 2am pissed pub goer in D4 indecipherable always dragging the ten unfinished topics in every 4minutes + to (what feels like) 3hour link to his all time favourite topic - himself.

You can fool some of the people some of the time...

This one has NEVER bought his BS since first listen maybe 25-30 yrs ago on RTE R1 Summer Schedule when Heino-head was handed his first nepo-show of a saturday morning.

It is a pity he escaped from the complete amateur hour Zoo that is RTE and now infects the commercial waters with his cringe making "musings". A worse pity we Irish condoned and still condone such over inflated salaries where they out in Montrose-World earn more than a Taoiseach or a top life saving surgeon or heart doctor... some of the highest paid at The Beeb are not on that kind of insane money.

Is he put there to reinvent the wheel or music radio?

The majority of Virgin listeners I know in The Uk have listened to him once or for half an hour on day 1 and will NOT be tuning in again.

Edit:

"Are you hairy Mary" sounds like an average day average caller for The Toyman: https://www.instagram.com/reel/C0RaFcVoBZA/?igsh=MWtod2gyNTY5dnJpbw==

Post edited by Enda Caldwell on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Expunge

"Keep it tight, sound butch, play the Hits... "Buddy" lol to quote a certain well known Dublin Radio consultant, buddy!

One / two thoughts per max 30/60/90 sec link / break would suffice. Keep it topical, relevant, friendly. Talk "Up" your listener - don't lecture them!

Amen to that Enda. Imaging the snoop tape session if Tubs was sitting across the desk from that particular radio consultant?

Do you think there will be a bit of "talent coaching" for him at Virgin or will he protected from that?

Haha yes! And I know the word he would call him beginning with the letter G!

"Do you think there will be a bit of "talent coaching" for him at Virgin or will he protected from that?"

No, instead they're enchanted by him by all accounts: "Xxxx xxxx was bigging him up to xxx xxxxx in the lift saying what a scoop he was and how great he is and how everyone likes him and how he's a great cook."

From this I gather that they think he is the best thing since sliced bread and how amazing his voice and on air personality are. A true life modern day re-enactment "people" or "you all out/over there listening out in radio land til 1pm when MY amazing show finishes and I was on The Tube this morning oh theyre saying thru the glass we have ONE caller oh we havent time? Wait, what button is this? Oh thats nice DUFFY is it? (Sounds suprised and flustered) I like this - you can text on +44 44 3333333333 (gets lost) HA HA HA or email us at ryan.tubberwareparty@virginradio dot co dot uk - crashes vocal" ...of "The Emperor's New Clothes" - my book recommendation "for YOU-ALL"

They are now hiring an ass. Producer for him as of yesterday it was advertised so his little school-class "team" will expand to 3 minions.

James Corden (also despise him personally) lasted EIGHT years in US TV. - so, I am regrettably saying "don't hold your breath, people"

Quite depressing to say Tubs is there to stay so hats off to Bobson Dugnutt and Gregor Samsa - you win!

Radio has reached a new all time low.

And to think I used to LOVE Virgin Radio for about the past 31 years since the INR Tests on 1215AM and other AM frequencies with the creme de la creme of UK jocks joining the station from launch. And now we have the former Toyman now "Bagman" slobbering all over the hallowed brand like a daily ongoing RTE style aural car crash every day... and at weekends too...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭RoTelly

@Gregor Samsa I don't fully agree with you ... but no matter how you look at it Tubs has landed on his feet.

Everyone can put their conspiracy theory on his appointment to Virgin Radio in London, but even if those conspiracy theories prove to be true hasn't he landed on his feet regardless?

At the same time I have no problem being a begrudger when it comes to Tubs, or others begrudering Mr. Tubs. Only time will tell what happens. But Virgin Radio and most radio station take longer than TV to make a decision on presenters and schedules. Tubs is there for 2024 at least, unless the mid-year results are terrible.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

Quite depressing to say Tubs is there to stay so hats off to Bobson Dugnutt and Gregor Samsa - you win!

I'm not trying to "win" anything, and the fact that you frame it in such a way speaks volumes.

I'm just trying to point out some objective facts, as it makes for better discussion. All nuance and objectivity is lost when imaginations run riot.

It's unfortunate that me doing so makes some people label me "Team Tubs" or or "Team NK" when actually I'm quite obviously a neutral observer: but that's what happens when someone comes from an extremist position: even the middle ground is so far away that it appears like the opposite extreme to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭GSF

Virgin could be onto something offering rehab services for celebrities requiring a retreat

Fair enough Gregor - and I'd actually agree with you on being a sort of devil's advocate. Just awaiting the "success rating" by Bobson to tell us all Tubs owns several chateaus and half the Irish state as well as that being a mark of Tubs worth as a human on earth as a "man of the people" who is selfless and generous.

Currently hes listing listeners all over the world from the north pole to timbuktu. They do not count as Rajar ticks on the diary or increases in JNLR ratings for a floundering Dublin niche music station - meant to be "easy listening" with Tubs on air its about as easy as nails down a chalkboard to "listen" or rather "have foisted upon your senses".

The 50 page rule. - wow! Was he in remedial class for english or actually has reading difficulties? That may explain the Adderal references. Lord save us.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Far too early to make a judgement on Tubs success or failure outside RTE. The fact that NK landed "the Irish broadcasting legend" that little number is not as revealing as how long he will last at it, or indeed what his next gig will be after it.

I remain unconvinced that Tubs can adapt to a UK radio show and bring any sort of audience with him. If he could, he would have kept up his summer stints at the BBC. He didn't because he was found out and wasn't invited back.

Everything about this little London adventure points to temporary and an agenda to remain relevant in Ireland and to get back there ASAP. As for RTE never taking him back, I see that abit like Bertie and FF. In the right climate, at some point in the future, of course they'd take him back.

I hope he proves me wrong. For many years to come!

Well said on all points, I agree with you 100% - but his boss said and I quote: "he's such a good cook" and "he gets on with everyone"(for now!) so aren't those two important qualities for National UK radio success surely? Why are they now hiring an assistant producer to "work with the Oirish broadcasting legend Ryan Turdbuddy"?

JNLR + Rajar forecasts for his show please! WIll he be up or down?

If virgin doesn't work I'm sure radio Norwich will sell him a slot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,330 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Advertisement