Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game News 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,952 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,845 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Game.co.uk are shutting down the trade in part of the business.

Really is an end of an era. Only option now are the scum bags in CEX.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

The scumbags in CEX give me 70-80% of what I paid on new releases if I trade them in soon enough. They've been the only option since Gamestop closed, and I honestly thought their pay out prices would drop but nope, still giving a large* amount for relatively new games. I've even made a profit on some of them due to a Smyths sale.

* in comparison to nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Yup, sold my ps5 there for 50 quid less than I paid for it. And I've a few more things I need to sell there. And a few older games I'll probably pick up there. I think they provide a good service. I wouldn't buy stuff there that you can get cheaper, new, elsewhere, obviously.

Price gauging is scummy enough when it's done by scalpers. When a business does it it's even worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,455 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Ace Combat 7 is 4 years old today (Thursday)!

I assume we're having a site wide celebration?? :D

Must be nearly time for a new one now, not just a Switch port!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Only four years? Jesus, it feels like it's been around for a decade at this point. It's already Boards new Atari Jaguar.....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,325 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It just feels like longer cos someone keeps banging on about it 😜

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

More of you feckers need to play it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

The more I think of this, the harder it is to slam CEX. There's a retro gaming shop near me in wexford town that do trade ins but the guy running it is absolutely passionate about games so he tries to make it reasonable but honestly it looks like he's just about ticking over. If you're trying to make a business out of trade-ins you really do have to be a bit brutal about prices and unfortunately that just never seems to go down well. I understand the logic but I still don't like the prices I'd be dealing with normally.

To be fair, I was never big on trading in games, but a huge part of my youth was spent walking around the 2nd hand section of gamestop/game looking for a game I could actually afford that I may enjoy. But even that seems less and less common. Why do that when you can get (albeit a few years old) great games online for under a tenner in the sales

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,811 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Rocksteady founders Sefton Hill and Jamie Walker, who left the studio in 2022 (good **** move by the looks of it) have started their new AAA studio Hundred Star. Polygon noticed that just recently some Rocksteady devs left to join another unnamed studio, this could very well be it. They are awesome devs and will be great to see what they produce without having WB on their back.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,552 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I remember when I was 9 and trading in a Gamegear game (Alien Syndrome) at the only place I knew that traded games. The name escapes me but it was in Waterford, near the Apple Market. I knew he always traded in for half of what it was new. Knowing this, he asked what I paid for it. It could have been £20 new so I told him £30 and he believed me and gave me £15. I'm pretty sure the guilt of that little lie ate me up enough to bring it up in confession!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,455 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

My bad, it is actually 5 years! :D

Got caught in that thinking it's still the previous year that plagues everyone in January haha!

I'm talking about times when they sell things for over the RRP just because it is in limited supply. The PSVR was one instance where they offered people an over-cost price and then sold it for well over the RRP. They had people snapping them up and walking right into CEX as they offered them a way to make €50 and then CEX would bump it again to rip off consumers.

That's not allowing people to trade in stuff they are finished with. That is plain old price gauging/scalping.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

They are also really bad for parting out stuff. Take those PSVRs, the V2 included the camera and CEX will sell both separately. I've also seen them separately selling the usb adapter for the camera to work on PS5, this was free from Sony and you cant get another one if you buy a second hand PSVR and the adapter has already been claimed for that unit.

They also have a bit of a bad rep for accepting stolen goods, usually phones.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,325 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Dunno if Warners still copyright game mechanics but a whole game utilising Arkham's stealth mechanics would be awesome.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Seems the rockstar remedy logo thing was just a legal formality

• Registered Users Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

It's a wonder MS have not acquired Remedy.

Cant copyright game mechanics. They've patented the nemesis system but it wouldn't stand up in court due to that already having been settled in court in the 90s but nobody wants to go through the financial BS Warner will make them go through.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

May 21st release date for Hellblade 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,915 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

If I ignored copyright infringement against me today it doesn't stop me suing that person another day or someone else down the road. You also can have a copyright to something and just sit on it, you don't need to publish or release anything again to retain it. If Disney had just made the 1 Mickey Mouse cartoon it'd still be copyrighted and still expire as it did recently (they might not be around but their copyright would).

This is about the trademark.

Trademarks are different, you have to actively defend them or it can be used against you. You also have to use them or lose them. In this case just filing is enough to show they are defending. If it gets thrown out that's great, them using an R based logo isn't going to cost R* anything in missed sales or consumer confusion and the case being thrown out is cheap.

Yep but game mechanics can't be trademarked or copyrighted. Trademark is for a logo etc. copyright I'd for an invention. Capcom vs data East ruled in favour of game mechanics being under, can't think of the word but building on a piece of art, like how a die hard type film can't be used by the owners of die hard for being too similar.

Atlus just seems like the leakiest bucket in videogames right now.

Wish they'd leak a PC version of SMT 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

This is mental

Actually been playing this over the weekend. I've never been into survival games but somehow can't get enough of this.

I just saw it was Pokemon with guns and was instantly turned off by how try hard edgelord that premise is. Then I find out it's a survival crafting game on top of it and my disinterest instincts went into overdrive.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

There’s a brutal takedown of the game on RPS that’s well worth a read: goes to town on it both as a lazy, thoughtless edgelord take on Pokémon and as a survival video game.

As someone who never got Pokemon in the first place, I'm baffled twice-over by the success of Palworld - but that seems to be mainstream gaming these days. Streamer fuelled crazes that burn out after about a week, gadfly attention span Gen Z types moving on to the next empty nothing streamers yell into their microphones over.

Yes I'm old and bitter, and I love it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

TBH the success of the janky crafting / survival genre in general is the one thing that makes me feel like I’m from an entirely different generation of gamers (which, of course, I actually am). The mad success of Valheim, Ark, Rust etc… and now Palworld. Just a genre I have zero interest in, but seems to be a path to Steam blockbuster success. As pixelburp said, streamer fodder.

I do get the appeal of battle royale games at least - not necessarily my bag, but definitely can see why that genre exploded, even in its less polished form (PUBG etc).

• Advertisement

I'm also annoyed that it's taken over videogame discourse online and there's no unit of measurement small enough to describe how little interest I have in the game.

There's people out there thinking that this janky amateur ass unity project looking game doing so well is a massive shake up to Nintendo not realising that Nintendo's last Pokemon game was a janky amateur ass unity project looking game that also sold millions.

Advertisement