Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

parkrun, lap two

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

222 did University of Galway yesterday, bolstered more than likely by both Knocknacarra and Oranmore canceling due to icy conditions on track.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭opus

I'm in Germany for a few weeks with two parkruns about the same distance away, I chose wrong on Sat as the one I went to in Halle (Ziegelweise) cancelled after I'd arrived where as the other one in Leipzig (Küchenholz ) went ahead. It was the correct call needless to say. Oh well some you win...

Tubbercurry, Co. Sligo is the latest parish looking to set up a new Parkrun. Quick look at the map shows that Sligo town and Ballina are their nearest so good spot to set up.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Just FYI the course has changed since this clip was made.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Event #500 at Malahide next Saturday.

A start date for the next junior event in Cork has been announced.

https://www.parkrun.ie/haulbowlineisland-juniors

SETU Arena Parkrun is starting on the 6th of January

https://fb.watch/oY1Mvet9Jz/

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Butterbeans

Staying in the Ferrycarrig Hotel for the weekend and planning on doing Wexford Racecourse parkrun. Looks very straightforward getting there. I presume I can park at the racecourse?

They list free parking as one of their facilities.

Always worth reading the course page before visiting a new parkrun.

https://www.parkrun.ie/wexfordracecourse/course/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Sussex18

Going to the 3 Arena in a few months time and staying overnight, on a Friday night. Would be a shame not to take in a Parkrun, where would be the nearest? 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭py

So, here's the full list of Parkruns on Christmas day.

• Ardgillan, Dublin
    • Ballincollig, Cork
    • Clonakilty, Cork
    • Clonmel, Tipperary
    • Dodder Valley, Dublin
    • Dungloe, Donegal
    • Glengarrif, Cork
    • Glen River, Cork
    • Gorey, Wexford
    • Limerick
    • Navan, Meath
    • Porterstown, Dublin
    • Royal Canal, Kilcock, Kildare
    • Sligo
    • Tralee, Kerry
    • Waterstown, Dublin
    • Wexford Racecourse, Wexford

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

loads of parking there, just drive in and turn right. Be aware for garda checkpoints, Ive been there twice and there was checkpoints each time so leave a few mins early just in case.

Its a bit of a hilly one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Ciara Mageean set a new female parkrun record in Belfast yesterday

Just to add the Northern Ireland runs,

• Bangor
    • Comber
    • Derry city
    • Ecos
    • Stormont
    • Valley
    • Wallace
    • Waterworks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Paul61

Imagine being the volunteer timer and finding that you've timed a world best.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Butterbeans

Made it there, no checkpoints! Great parkrun, you weren't wrong about it being hilly and of course wind in the face for the hilly bits! Very friendly and welcoming crowd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Thanks to all the volunteers at Porterstown this morning. Very nice atmosphere. 👏🧑‍🎄

Question for the alphabeteers.

Where did you get a 'J'?

It would be a nice excuse to visit Boston in order to do Jamaica Park, but there's probably closer ones in the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Jamaica Pond is where we got ours. 😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Duzzie

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭ISOP

I live in London and got my J here https://www.parkrun.org.uk/jerseyfarm/

It would be very handy to get to from Luton Airport if Travelling from Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 4 cicks

We went to Jersey Island. Direct flights from Ireland and a beautiful spot to spend a few days

VHI customers

Anyone do a Christmas/New year day run? Does VHI not count those towards the €5 rewards?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭CassieManson

Yes I did both but not appearing on the VHI app

Discovered this when I went to order a couple of milestone shirts.

Anyone know if this is doable?

Really early flight from Dublin to Heathrow on Saturday morning, public transport to Bushy Park in time for the start.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

If taking the train it looks like you'd need to be leaving the airport shortly after 6am to get to Teddington for a bit after 8am, it is then a fair hike though to the start.

Doubt bus would be better, but the likes of an Uber would make it.

It would be very tight, one delay anywhere in the chain and you'd miss out. Better to go the night before. I stayed in the Kingston Premier In which was a 20 to 30 min walk from the start. Others stay at the Travel Lodge in Teddington. Then fly home Saturday afternoon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭Rossi7

Heading to Sydney for a few weeks, any notable Parkruns I should head too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

Looks like there's one in Centennial park which is a big running spot in Sydney

Random thought of the night. Has there ever been a Phoenix Parkrun proposed?

It's my understanding that due to the number of running events that take part in Phoenix park already, having a parkrun there is not really viable.

FYI parkrun have stopped publishing attendance records, course records, fastest finishers, most first finishes and age grade or category records on the website for each event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

^^ Have parkrun given any reason for this move?

No comment from what I can see. There was some people on social media complaining about men running the F category and nothing being done about it so this may be the reason.

Unfortunately more and more decisions from parkrun HQ seem to be "fixing" things that weren't broken to begin with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Meh, to be honest I reckon I'm in the majority of parkrunners who've never even checked any of the above. Personally speaking, parkrun is more social for me than time, place etc. Don't get me wrong, I'll try to get a PB or sub a particular time hopefully once during the year, but the majority of the year, I'm there for the chats and coffee afterwards.

As for the men running as woman, again a usual trope used by some with pyrotechnic tendencies. Honestly how many decent sub 20min male runners, register as female so they can get a 1st in category, why not just add 15/20 years to your age and say you have a good skin care routine if questioned.

As someone who tries to volunteer regularly, the person who breaks 35mins for the first time, deserves as much validation as the person who finishes first the most often. Honestly, do timekeeper and watch the later finishers and the sense of achievement they get, as they finish having given it their all.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭ISOP

The men running as women thing is about Transgender issues

• Advertisement

Issues that are stronger bones of contention in the UK rather than here. Look I don't want to bring politics into this but Park Run is not a race and it's certainly not a Drag Race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

My last comment on this, as we're not after hours, but lets be honest here, nobody runs with a M or F emblazoned across their chest, nobodies barcode identifies their gender to the scanner, so if someone for their own personal mental health wants to see a particular gender beside their result, well I personally have no problem with that. I've more of an issue with the people who have never volunteered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭gar

From parkrun.com news section

You may have noticed some changes to how we display statistics and data across parkrun websites and we wanted to explain what is changing and why.

As parkrun has grown over the years we have made many changes to our digital communication including things such as layout, design, imagery and the language we use – and will continue to do so as we evolve.

We try hard to make sure the information we share is consistent with our values, and that, in all that we do, we continue to find ways to remove barriers to registration and participation.

We know that our websites are an important source of information for all parkrunners, especially those who are new and yet to take part, and we therefore established a global working group to consider how we can present data in a way that is not off-putting and doesn’t imply that parkrun is a race.

This project covered parkrun’s global website, national websites and event websites for both 5k and junior parkrun and considered feedback from a range of people including those who had signed up with parkrun but not participated, those who had participated once, and from a range of regular participants. This project group has spent many months now making detailed investigations and recommendations.

What was clear is that there was a disconnect between the performance data displayed so prominently on the site, and our mission to create opportunities for as many people as possible to take part in parkrun events - especially those who are anxious about activities such as parkrun, but who potentially have an enormous amount to gain.

Based on the conclusions and recommendations of the project group, we will no longer publish data such as most first finishes, sub 17 men and sub 20 women, and age grade or category speed records. Alongside these, as part of our ongoing data protection improvements, the search function has been removed.

Your personalised results email and your individual profile pages will remain unchanged, as will the results pages for every event. The event history page will also stay the same, including the ‘sort’ function at the top that allows data to be displayed in different ways.

As we work towards the objectives set out in our five year strategy we’ll continue to take steps to ensure that everyone is able to enjoy parkrun for what it is: a free community event and an opportunity to be active, social and outside in a non-competitive, inclusive and welcoming environment

Looks like to make it less intimidating... I was never going finish first but great seeing others results

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

parkrun appear to be saying - if you're a fast runner then we don't want you and we'll remove any of the incentives that bring you to parkrun. A retrograde step.

What incentives? A time is a time. You're only competing against your own PT if you're even competing at all. Fast =/= competitive.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

But you could compete against the times that other people had previously set for age/ gender, or use that as a guide to the difficulty of a course.

Agree 100%. To me the biggest thing putting off newcomers that I have come across is the name. Ive heard from so many people say that they wouldnt do parkrun because they can't run. I very much doubt that someone considering taking part for the first time, apart from a seasoned runner, would be looking at course records or attendance records

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭donaghs

Its possible to enjoy the social side, and want to run fast(er). That would be the case with most parkrunners I know.

Its taboo now to dare question any part of transgender ideology, so plenty of people will feel they cant publicly address this change.

Most people I know are still keen to know their parkrun time, and will compare it with their garmin/strava time, and previous times. Its possible to be interested in the stats, and in having a chat with regulars and new people.

From looking at my own times, if was to change gender, there are parkruns where I could go from 16th Male to 1st Female. Its a bit of stretch to say anyone would do this on purpose, but statistically, biological males clearly have an advantage.

The main losers here are women who know they can't beat the fastest men, but want to compare themselves with other women in their category. If that means allowing a tiny number of transgender in the womens category, its probably a better outcome than what's happened now.

parkrun have denied that it is anything to do with transgender athletes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Sandwell

Removing the course records seems to me like a fairly uncontroversial move as well as one that might allow them to sidestep the British media's obsession with trans people.

Not sure why the attendance records are seen as potentially off-putting though? Would knowing a Parkrun regularly draws hundreds rather than dozens really make a difference to a newcomer?

• Advertisement
Advertisement