Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow Horses [Apple] (*SPOILERS*)

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭archfi

Although I mentioned I bought the first book the other day, I've now bought the 4th book and started that as series 3 has ended and I can't wait for the next series to appear (though it looks like it's in the bag going by the trailer at the end of episode 6)

Reading Book 4, I can vividly picture the characters and get my fix now.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭kala85

whats the name of book 4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭py

Spook Street

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

What a fantastic season end that was; love how they managed to give everyone something to do, contributing in meaningful ways while not feeling contrived or against character given the circumstances. Though I enjoyed in particular watching Jackson Lamb finally demonstrate why this guy had been considered The Best in the first place, so revered by those who remembered him in his pomp; we had seen plenty of the manipulative díck part of his spycraft, but little actual fiendishness in an "open fire" scenario. It was all very Home Alone. Plus of course, it wouldn't be Lamb if he didn't managed to snatch defeat from victory with his final chat with Standish. You glorious ásshole Jackson.

Love this series, it's so fantastically entertaining with such a great set of characters - though that Season 4 trailer has me worried for one of them. Bizarrely, I miss Min Harper: he was such an affable drip. Weird Apple never seems to put those trailers online after the last episode's aired though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,550 ✭✭✭✭siblers

The last episode was slightly ridiculous and a bit silly but because they're such a loveable bunch and it's so well acted, it didn't take away from the enjoyment.

Can’t wai for season 4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

Renewed for a 5th season, supposedly filming in February.

Season 4 to hit sometime this year (obviously i guess). Same time as last year, just before Christmas i suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Trying hard not to binge watch season 3 - better to savour it; twice a week is Goldilocks.

This is billed as a spy thriller, yet it's got so such wry humour in it, it skates close to comedy at times - a rare feat when it's done so well. The author, with zero spycraft experience, apparently had trouble publishing the books, which is surprising, because the series always has a great combination; the humour, a palpable sense of realism about it, great characters and engaging plots.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,979 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Just finished season 3 - it was a lot of fun as usual but I did think it veered slightly too far into unrealistic preposterousness with the events at the "facility". Whilst the first 2 seasons had their unrealistic moments, the general thrust of the plots (right wing extremists, cold war vendettas) were believable.

The idea that private militia groups would be used to slaughter MI5 agents to further the career ambitions of M15 top brass is a step too far though. There must have been 20 dead bodies by the end, and Tierney just resigns and moves on?

Post edited by loyatemu on

Haven't finished season 3 yet, so that bit at the end was a bit of a spoiler.

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Sorry but why go in to a chat about a show if you're afraid of spoilers?

• Advertisement

I wouldn't be afraid of spoilers if the thread title had 'spoilers' in it. Without them, it's common courtesy to put spoilers in spoiler quarantine - usually until spoilers are put in the title. If the warning is there, I don't go in.

I avoided this thread while I was watching the new series (which has been available for over a month now) as I assumed there would be spoilers, it's the only Slow Horses thread and it's full of spoilers for the earlier seasons already. But I've spoilered that last bit now, just try to forget you read it...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Mod: I've updated the original post to Spoiler-text out the incident.

There's no agreed ruleset when it comes to spoilers really: decorum kinda plays a part and I think when it comes to shows whose thrust kinda hinges on twists & turns, stuff from finales or pivotal episodes are probably best spoiler-texted out of deference. Even when the title might contain "SPOILERS" in it (I'll add that now)

Yeah, it's a hard one to judge if the title doesn't have a spoiler warning, and for mods to decide if and when to put them in. The Tierney thing was only minor anyway,

Fantastic series, despite the occasional eye-roll concerning some 'as if' thoughts about certain scenarios. The wife is off sick at the moment, so I have season 3 on hold while she's binge-watching it to catch up with me - she's watched the first two seasons in 3 days and also thinks it's brilliant.

you'll be rolling your eyes a fair bit in season 3, but it's still pretty great.

Season 3 definitely stretched the concept to breaking point - but it's a testament to the strength of the characters and their odd sense of pluckiness, that I was still cheering them on and worrying after them rather than thinking too hard.

At the end of the day, these folk

they're all MI5 agents, and to a greater or lesser degree should have some experience with escalating scenarios. And as we saw, one wanted to be one of "The Dogs", so at least explained the possession of arms lol.

Which is why for the Season 4 trailer

I'm genuinely worried who that dead Slow Horse might be. I'm still upset about poor Min Harper. My bet's on Ho; he has broadly been the most useless of the lot, still hated so easy to sacrafice, and piecing the clues together in the trailer it seems to suggest it too.

I've seen this mentioned elsewhere, but the series really blurs the lines between MI5 (domestic national security) and MI6 (your more traditional James Bond/George Smiley, international espionage stuff). Lamb, Cartwright Senior and Parker would all have been MI6 if they were working in Berlin during the cold war, I'm not sure how likely it would be that they would subsequently end up at MI5, but I'm not an expert in these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,698 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

They/MI5 do work outside the UK when they have to. Berlin during the Cold War would have had plenty of security agencies from all over the world based there.

From MI5's offical website

We’ll work outside the UK where it’s necessary to protect the UK's national security or to counter security threats to UK interests such as diplomatic premises and staff, UK companies and investments, and our citizens living or travelling abroad.

https://www.mi5.gov.uk/faq#:~:text=We'll%20work%20outside%20the,citizens%20living%20or%20travelling%20abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Cartel Mike

Reminds me of shows like ashes to ashes ,mostly funny yet still serious. Pretty confident that it wont lose it's way like killing eve did .

It's really childish of me to say this but the best part of each episode for me has been when Gary oldman farts...and his character does it alot ..which proves that no great actor is above a good fart gag! ..fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭Pentecost

I read a couple of the books recently, and Jackson's disgusting farts are a common occurrence! The series is very close to the books. A couple of changes here and there.

• Advertisement

Part of the beauty of Slow Horses has been how its characters haven't needed much action set-pieces and outlandish cannon-fodder set-ups, but I quite enjoyed the last 2 episodes. As the latter aspects were being played out the characterisations came out even better, while being interspersed with Lamb going old-school - bringing the season to a very satisfying end to a so-so start. Roll on season 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Only got around to the last 3 episodes now, they really upped the action scenes in the last 2, non stop, edge of my seat.

For fans of the books, the Secret Hours is well worth a read, a companion piece to the Lambe books which delves into Berlin in the 90's, post-wall.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Rossie4ever

Would ye recommend watching this? Haven't seen it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

i think anyone that is on this thread would recommend it

The internet isn’t for everyone

Asking for straight-up recommendations for a film or tv series is like asking for a recommendation on clothes - impossible without knowing the preferred subjective tastes. I assume you don't want to read the comments previous to this because of spoilers. Review sites like Rotten Tomatoes give non-spoiler review blurbs, and for every season of a series (where the style is noted, and the skill of execution rated). You can judge if something is your cup of tea from that. Otherwise, threads even with spoilers often don't have spoilers until part-way or late into the thread (and often spoiler-quoted to hide major spoilers), so they can be read for the flavour of the series. The first whiff of spoiler territory is the time to abandon ship.

Personally, I'd highly recommend this if...

you like slow-burn spy drama, with a dry sense of humour.

Advertisement