Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TAMS solar panel grant

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

To get the benefit from the solar will he not need to run the cable from the house anyway? As alps said a new connection will have no previous usage so will probably need to use the house MPRN to qualify anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

If you received approval and inspection for tams in the past, and didn't proceed, does the application lapse or can it be revived. I think it was 2020

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Ninjakettle

Thanks both - yeah it does seem that way. He rang IFA and they are sending out someone to survey and he's lined up those questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,056 ✭✭✭893bet

Had a look at this recently. Not a panacea sadly.

1) you can’t get the Seai grant and Tams. So the 60 percent grant is reduced.

2) can’t mount on dwelling which means I have to ground mount as shed not suitable. Ground mounting a more expensive option I assume again eating into the “grant”.

3) inverter and battery can’t be in dwelling house so need a decent shed location for same also.

4) The paperwork hassle

Might skip personally as not sure worth the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 topaha

Hi folks,

Query re; ESB for the solar electricity generation (i've applied for the TAMS grant).

I have a 16KVA Maximum Import Capacity (MIC). Its a stand alone transformer for my house and farm only.

ESB's survey into generation is only allowing me a 12kVa Maximum Export Capacity (MEC).

I was under the impression that if the grid is capable of supplying me with 16kVa, then it should be able to take from me 16kVa.

Has any one dealt with the ESB on these issues already?

My elec usage doesn't threaten the MIC but i would've liked the option of extending my solar array (subject to TAMS limitations/restricitons etc… etc.) to maximise the grid capability assigned to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭alps

Yes, similar issue. Our MIC is 16KVA but they are limiting us to 8 KVA export. This has reduced our TAMS approved system size from 27KW to just 16kW.

I'm being told by one company that it's illegal to install a system over the 16kW in size, but told by other companies that they will "work around" that.

It seems a shame when TAMS will cover 60% of a 27kW system that we can legally only install 16.

Don't know what way to proceed tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Inverter capacity is limited to 5kw anyway so it doesn't really matter.

The grant is meant to support generation for on site use, not export.

Yes.

What I meant by that is that, given the limited export capacity, there's a financial ROI sweet-ish spot that might be less than the full potential installation capacity due to the fact that dairy farms don't have an even daytime usage pattern.

If say battery is full, system producing 27kW and export limited to 8kW, how is the excess production dealt with?

Are the suppliers of the product wrong in saying an 8kw export capacity can only facilitate 16kw of panels?

• Advertisement

I'm not any kind of an expert but again, afaik, excess production is just dumped, the how's are beyond my paygrade, but i think it's no different than if you had the panels up but not connected.

I've two arrays of about 9kwh each and at the moment, there's only one of them really working as apart from when I'm using it, all production over 5kw h is just dumped. Only for the grant they'd make no sense at all.

Advertisement