Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

Good post, wouldn't ordinarily need to be said but blatant misinformation is a key tactic they use. It's strange how these lads who clearly must know they are on your ignore list will continue to respond to your posts. You know you are hitting a nerve when that happens lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭bloopy

They've been promising the prefabs for the last 18 months but don't seem too pushed about actually getting them.

Even at that they are just a short term solution. We still have the people already here to accomodate, with more arriving every week. Not to mention those already on housing lists, record homeless and those stuck living on friends couches or with parents.

I don't see how we are going to be able to build enough to keep up with current demand, let alone increasing demand.

Unless we start slapping up towers like the ones that were in Ballymun all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

"But blaming immigration/ immigrants, for these years of problems is not only nonsensical, it is being used as a whipping boy, with tropes drummed up by, and playing into the hands of those with a political agenda to subvert democracy in our country."

We have limited resources that are getting strained to point where they cannot handle the number of people that are here.

Can you explain why it is nonsensical to point out the fact that an endless flow of people into the country is only going to end in disaster?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

• Registered Users Posts: 15,955 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

If it is, it just proves to me anyway that every day something ludicrous is thrown out there to test the reaction, and either let it go to arson and protests, or pull it with a "Jaysus lads I thought that might slip under the radar, back to the drawing board - what can we do next?"

I dunno, I can't figure it out myself, but then again I'm a bit shell shocked TBH at the jackboot style Government we appear to have now. No one who has a concern is listened to and in fact are vilified for having such concerns. That is not racism or Far Rightism, far from it, but the Government seems to going that way in dictatorship mode.

And they call those of us asking questions about their policy Far Right Supporters?? Am I going mad here or what.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,384 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

What are you even on about,,

Misinformation is the being posted from one side of the discussion who all seem to be towing party lines

Thats not the nonsense... Its blaming them that is.

They didn't cause the problem.

Watch Darragh O'Brien saying what a good job he is doing in the Dáil today.. These are the people to direct your ire at.

Or the successive ministers for Health, And yes the clueless minister RoG.

By all means protest, but outside the Dail and peacefully ffs or it is a waste of energy.

For those who say that doesn't work.. It does.

Many a situation saved /reversed through people power and not a punch thrown!

I don't like your hectoring and lecturing tone at all. I am an adult not a child in school who needs direction. The points I made are valid, you haven't refuted them (to my satisfaction anyway), not that I'm bothered about anyone on the internet. My points stand for me anyway. Good day.

You say that to dismiss me, as you have done before. If you can't read a reply that is not personal but takes apart your argument , and say that someone is 'lecturing or hectoring ' I do feel for you.

I have no interest in discussing it further, with you tbh if that is the level of your reply

I have said what I think of your post, which isn't much at this stage and I have been pretty clear.

We disagree fundamentally.

Good day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

You generally shouldn't be called far-right or racist unless you make generalizations or false claims about migrants themselves.

After that, just because you have concerns, doesn't necessarily mean anything will be done about them.

I've been concerned about the health service for years, yet it gets worse. Hopefully someday enough people will vote as I do and it will bring about the changes I'd like to see. After that I can peacefully protest, peacefully campaign, or put up with it.

Is that the first census form you have seen?

If you go back through the censuses /censi?.. Rooms and size of house dwelling is recorded.

Look at 1901, 1911...

Why not put me on ignore @Goldengirl.

I have no one on my ignore list but that's what I'd advise so you won't have to encounter my absolute cheek towards you anymore!

Look, life's too short for bickering. On with the show...

There you have it... "anyone agin me is for the government! "

Could have written ' de gubbernint' but don't want to be accused of being a member of any particular ' cohort'!

As will probably happen anyhow 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭newhouse87

If your from tipp, you may have listened to fran curry on tipp fm. Massive support for the protestors in tipp.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭thomas 123

You have me on ignore because I called you out - and I believe rightfully so.

This is a forum "a meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged."

Not where one person comes in, claims to know what a county speaks for, then puts people they disagree with on ignore when they are rightfully called out.

Ah yeah, go back through the pages and dig out the post - and you will see why I might continue to raise it. No misinformation - but I'm going to leave that particular comment now.

Have. But there are lots of people who don't as well and are not going on the radio.Targeted or private apps, meetings.

I don't know if you read my post a few days ago about Roscrea which triggered yer man spamming me..

I agree that the people of Roscrea in particular had a right to protest, ( they have taken mote than the rest of Tipp) but a lot of people I know were and are against the type of protest (confrontational, with some video-ing nasties in the mix).

Most people that I know spoke with Lowry and some of the councillors there and while it doesn't get them 15 mins of fame/notoriety, it has had an effect.

Of course the usual suspects take credit no matter what has been going on in the background.

We have agreed more times than we disagree but I only ignore rubbish or spammers.

I don't want to fight, we just don't agree on this.

Peace ✌️

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Well tbh, anybody I have spoken to agrees with the protestors but didn't like seeing kids and mothers having to go through that. The government knew a crowd were there and they still brought in the women and children. There was only a few asylum seekers so the government could easily have put them up in commercial hotel until the protest was resolved. Undesirables at all these protests, not the fault of roscrea people. As you said they have 600 people. Being accommodated already. They had no choice but to say enough is enough. Clowns like aodhan o riordan ,brid smith and other dublin politicsns trying to paint ordinary decent folk as nazis and kkk members. Funfact, I have never met any tipp person who gives a crap what a dublin politican said.

• Advertisement

Your being a little creative in your language - you might share your own full quote and subsequent replies for full context - you know, so there is no misinformation or unclear air.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

Nobody is blaming refugees.

One way or the other people are pointing out that the numbers coming in are exposing an existing issue. If you see that as blaming the refugees I don't know what to say to you.

It's an existing issue that the government has shown neither the willingness nor capacity to address for a long time. Given that, people simply want the government to stop making the problem worse while they continue to bullshit us with false promises.

It weirdly feels like we're in an abusive relationship where the government don't listen to us, continually **** us over, and then attempt to sweet talk us back with false promises.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭LongfordMB

No come on. We get 25 billion from IT and pharma workers in corp tax. And they pay huge income tax. We won't get that money if they can't get their people in.

Let's stick to the far more costly fraud going on in asylum system from third world migrants.

Not rightfully.

People should not have to post identifying factors or anything else to appease another poster who is obviously trying to catch them out.

Its not civil to continue to spam a poster bickering about an issue that is not relevant to anyone else, over 4 DAYS of discussion!

I put you on ignore after answering a few times that day, and you still kept posting.

You have no 'gotcha'.. Accept it and move on and leave me out of your frustration.

I'm glad to hear you're not blaming the refugees. I think some people here are.

I agree that the numbers coming in, both of IP and visa migrants are exposing an existing issue.

I'm not sure the government can, or should, breach international law to so it can make false promises to fix these issues.

We will leave it there then, I do apologize if it appears uncivil it is not the intention, the intention is to get a true feeling on the ground.

May I engage you on future points of discussion?

I don't think all of that corp tax is directly linked to the number of employees here.

And what is the cost of having these workers here, if there's 10% of the population here for employment opportunities, does that not equate to 10% of government spend? How much is it going to cost to hire more healthcare workers, teachers etc?

Not to mention the impact on house prices and rent.

But I don't think we should stop people coming here to work. Just issue visas for private industry in ratio to essential visas, construction, nurses, teachers etc.

That should have been done 5-10 years ago, so there is catching up to do, but I think that's the right approach and fair to all concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

"By all means protest, but outside the Dail and peacefully ffs or it is a waste of energy."

This just isn't a credible claim.

Burn down a building slated to be used for asylum seekers and it won't be used. (for the record I don't endorse this)

Protest outside a building slated to be used for asylum seekers and you'll get women and children instead of single men and as seen in Roscrea possibly further concessions.

Protest outside the Dail and more than likely nothing will happen. Your protest will be dismissed as far-right/anti-immigration/racist. You'll have to deal with a lot more actual anti-immigration protesters which will make you protest look even worse. The media will ignore you or paint you in a bad light.

There's too much of a disconnect between political parties and the electorate on this issue for a small scale protest outside the Dail to be effective.

Except you don't know everybody.

Where did I mention any of those politicians in my post? Bit irrelevant that except it must have struck a nerve what they said?

I have heard many people unhappy about the women and children but the protestors were equally to blame there.

Those I have heard giving out about it were all Tipp people and from the area.. Mortified that they were being associated nationally not with the protests and meetimgs which were all legit but the particular people there carrying on out for a fight.

That was like something from American backwoods.

And I absolutely agree about clowns like BS and AoR, but because of a range of other issues.

• Advertisement

NLM, there are so many instances of folk 'blaming refugees ' here and on other threads.

Its disingenuous of you to ignore my previous posts saying the situation is highlighting all these issues.

I totally agree about the government.

Listening to Darragh O Brien gaslighting the Oireachrais was chilling!

Post edited by Goldengirl on

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement