Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Exactly like you don't know everybody, never claimed to know all tipp people ,so your talking about silent majority who are afraid to talk in public like all the people pro the PROTESTORS on tipp fm? When poticians call people nazis, I for one think its too far but i or anybody i know won't lose sleep over it. Guarantee you CLLR smith won't be ever be a td for tipp with the way he spoke, he may not even get council seat again. Think that will tell you what majority of tipp think more then your anecdotes about people afraid to talk up against the protestors. laughable.

Post edited by newhouse87 on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Smug elected politicians need to stop shaming people and pointing fingers and fix the problems that they have not fixed in decades.

They remind me of overpaid, incompetent and useless lifer managers and directors in companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Why would it be smallscale. We are repeatedly told large numbers want change.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

You think this is the first time people have felt that?

All XCase and Repeal 8th marches, Watercharges, RestoreMedical Card for pensioners protests... You name it, public all felt the same.

But these and others successfully changed government policy and suceeded because the protestors themselves and their organisers ensured a peaceful protest.

Violent protest only brings the riot squad and is (rightly ) discounted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Many protests also amounted to nothing and many more took years and years to get noticed.

Do you think the protest in Roscrea was violent and required to riot squad present?

• Advertisement

If you can't listen to other voices than those who agree with you all the time, not much point talking here.

Do you think those in government give a rap for those protestors they have discounted as ' far right " and who they vote for? They don' t entertain a prospect of them voting for them anyway.

The only voices they heard were those potential voters that are the grassroots of FFG, and Lowry who votes with the government whenever called upon. Mattie less so but still a lot.

They are the one's AoR and BS were aiming for, incorrectly so with Lowry, as he was much more measured than Mattie and is a major vote collector for the government parties especially FG.

Glad you have agreed to drop it and do appreciate the apology, but as you were uncivil in the past I will say I am loathe to enter any further discussion with you.

I'm no angel either though, so on that note, maybe we could agree to disagree politely if that occurs and not let it get personal?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭thomas 123

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

It's mad. Posts like "refugees didn't create a problem" be honest here, clowns in the govt give money to Ukrainians in addition to free accommodation, breakfast lunch dinner. With no time limit.

Of course average Ukranian Joe heard the news and came here to leech even more €€€. Other seekers came for free food & accommodation for years on end.

At the end of the day - if you can buy a flight ticket to Ukraine, Algeria, Georgia right now and fly by end of week, is there truly "war fleeing" going on there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭MacronvFrugals

Is the government trying to turn the country to the right...

On the immigration debate, I work in a large multinational tech company in Dublin and I've been noticing interesting conversations among employees recently, the foreign workers will complain about house / rental prices and the Irish guys will reply with subtle remarks about who is driving all the extra demand. it's not ideal at all for society.

Misdirected anger though.

Am going to leave it there tbh.

It is hard to be one of the few here.

I see all of your points esp when put like above but there are other viewpoints too.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

There were arson threats against the hotel. It had the potential to be much more violent. The riot squad prevented that.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

Your story reminds me of the "I was driving to a town and saw migrants, Ireland is finished!" stories we'd see on here in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭MacronvFrugals

I did not mean to imply, in any way, a sense of "look, a foreigner." On the contrary, I strongly believe that Ireland would be considerably less vibrant without the contributions of immigrants. My aim is simply to bring attention to the interactions I have observed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

I don't think FFG would be too bothered by the country turning further to the right.

This is all turning out quite nicely for them.

They are centre-right already and I think would be quite happy to form a coalition with some further to the right grouping.

With the Greens struggling badly, it's probably their only way back into government.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭bertieinexile

The organiser of the small protest yesterday would not have a very large following and the call was not taken up by anyone else online. Everyone who was there knew everyone else. And the Guards were, as always, professional and very friendly. We're lucky to have them.

East Wall has called a protest for Feb 5 at the Garden of Remembrance. If you want to judge the size of this movement wait til then. It is expected to be big.

Malachy has announced he will be running for the locals in East Wall and for the Euros in Dublin.

In relation to Feb 5, it is in the protestors interests to have a large peaceful rally. Simpliciter.

But there will be a lot of media grumbling in advance and possibly a feeling at Commisioner and DOJ level that scores need to be settled, authority reestablished.

The Grafton Street riot (feat. Rocketman) came about after 300 showed up initially and were confronted and cornered by horses, dogs, helicopters, batons etc. That decision was not made at Station level.

Not to mention the opportunity that PBP et al may see to make some noise and get attention.

I hope it is a large peaceful protest on Feb 5 and God willing it will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

What a facile, ignorant response to lived experience.

Keep sticking the old head in the sand, see no evil and hear no evil.

Hope it is too but think you've got the dates mixed up if you think there will be a large rally.

The big one will be later in the month . I will be sure to let you know 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 16,417 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

With the Greens struggling badly, it's probably their only way back into government.

Not my reading. If FF & FG are looking to put together another government without SF, virtually the entire rest of the Dail bar the 'hard left' are potential allies. See no reason to believe the Soc Dems would not step into the Greens' shoes as the third leg of the stool if they have the numbers...

In fact I would say it's close to certain the numbers will be there 'on paper' for FF & FG to form another government. The question will be at what point does FF decide a government with five or six factions become too unweildy and seek a more 'workable' arrangement with SF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭mauries wigs

Yes we must think of the poor Algerians or ukranians who moved from Germany. They’re blameless. They can’t help exploiting another countries stupidity

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭bertieinexile

If you left out the people whose jobs meant they had to be at your one - no contest. 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 7,384 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Next up on Newstalk.

We debunk the conspiracy theories Ireland is full etc.

They just don’t get it, over and over they try change our opinions with all this nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,384 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

And there we are.

Us fools get all our news from TikTok and we only hear what we want because we’re racist and prejudice.

And of course we are all the biggest hypocrites because Irish people went to America.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,720 ✭✭✭seenitall

I flew in to DUB from Italy a couple of days ago. One guy of small stature performing a kind of cursory passport check (not on everyone) at the entrance to the airport building from the plane. Easily bypassed. After that, there is no sign to be seen of an official until you get to ….. wherever you’re going to, basically. Yes, you do have to pass through a set of expensive looking passport turnstiles, but dunno, this just doesn’t feel like it’s any way good enough in view of the crisis that is unfolding re: the absolute influx of “irregular” immigration? I would always feel safer with some actual border police showing themselves around the area…….. other European countries seem to be more together in that regard - the turnstiles are there but so is the police (sometimes with sniffer dogs). Am i making any sense?

In the “bad old days” everyone arriving had their passport checked by an actual person and there were plenty of different kinds of chats had on occasion between the passengers and the authorities, as well. It felt safer.

With all the hoolaballo recently, I was surprised, although i probably shouldn’t be.

It’s kind of by the by, anyway. Would be nice if things were different but since the majority of “iregulars” come through the perfectly open border in the north, Ah heck, i guess it isn’t such a huge deal!

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

Yes. The really cruel thing here is rural Ireland was already struggling and in decline. If anything we should be opening up more hotels for high spending tourists to benefit the local economy. Then the social aspect of hotels as well - I mean no reasonable person could possibly think its a good idea to take away the last hotel in Roscrea. But Roderic O Grman thought so. He thought it was worth destroying that town for some made up "emergency" of fraudulent asylum seekers from safe countries like Egypt and Georgia. Where's the "emergency" in those countries. The whole thing is one outrageous and hugely damaging fraud from top to bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,605 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Airport security is a joke.

I remember coming through passport control about 10 years ago in Dublin airport. I was pulled up and given a stern talking to because my recently issued passport wasn't signed yet. Nowadays everyone is just waved on through with very little in the way of checks. It suggests to me that the authorities here are making a conscious decision to turn a blind eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,605 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

100%, but this is what weak leaders do.

Martin and Varadkar know that they have made a complete mess out of things that are vital to the national interest, like health and housing. To distract from those failings, they try to "fix" problems that don't exist. That is why we're getting this pointless constitutional referendum to fix a problem that doesn't exist. That is why Ireland is so prominent on the war in Gaza. It whips up a lot of noise, allows them to claim some sort of moral high ground, but is ultimately useless as no one in Palestine or Israel has any intention of being lectured to by Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,720 ✭✭✭seenitall

Yes, your last sentence is what came to my mind as well…….. it’s about the nowadays serious issue of border control….. but then - it’s understaffed? And way more that it was in the past, when the issue wasn’t as serious? It just doesn’t make sense, unless it’s deliberate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Someone just texted into Newstalk that we should send the army rangers to Gaza and bring over Palestinian refugees

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement