Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HRM Watch Recommendations

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,961 ✭✭✭cletus

Not the same watch, but I'm using the Epix 2. I went from 5 days of battery life to 16 days battery life (both without using the watch to record a run or ride etc.), by setting night mode for the watch, and by turning on the battery saver, meaning the display is only on when I look at the screen.

As regards the smart features, I get text/WhatsApp/call notifications, everything else is turned off

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

Sounds like I'll have to engage a technician to set up the watch, or else get my 12 year old grandson to have a gander 🤭

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,771 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Just as a follow up on my initial review on the Wahoo Rival.

• Battery was at 22% after 10 days, this was with HR on constantly, broadcasting constantly (now using as my HR for the Headset unit)
    • GPS is slow to pick up, have tried it around work just to see, way slower than just using your phone for Strava, but its fine once it locks on, when you account for boot up time, it's still probably fractionally slower than the headset unit
    • HR seems broadly OK, not great if the watch slips to your wrist bone but seems in line with how it feels
    • Sleep analysis, not interested in it but it is broadly in line with what I expect eg, when I wake up peacefully, it will show I had shifted into light sleep, woke up mid dream and thats what it siad I was dong at the time
    • I don't have smart alerts on, don't remember knocking them off but they aren't coming through anymore but I could have done that in frustration and forgotten, not a fan of them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭Plastik

Smart alerts e.g. WhatsApp messages etc? I think that only works if you're synced with the Elemnt app and it's open and running in the background on your phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭JMcL

The smart alerts thing might be phone specific and probably does rely on the respective app being active. I never get WhatsApp messages on the Garmin watch - unless it's recording an activity at the tome. SMS and calls on the other hand do come through (same applies to the Edge). The wife on the other hand does get everything through to her watch (a Withings). TBH it doesn't bother me that much. Less distraction and I've told them if they REALLY need to get my attention on the bike, either send an SMS or call

• Advertisement

I suspected as much, I have it open most of the time but the alerts have ceased, I didn't want them anyway and I am not looking to try and reactivate them.

My vivoactive got everything, never turned it off, really should have. If its an emergency, I will answer my phone, if safe to do so. If its not safe to do so, I don't want my watch causing a distraction.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,990 ✭✭✭G1032

Bought one of these from Wahoo site and it arrived today. It'll be going straight back I'm afraid. Hugely disappointed. The HR data is utter garbage and that was pretty much the reason I got it. Takes 30+ seconds to respond to a change in HR and even at that it gives readings way too high before eventually settling on correct number. Even a few minutes ago, sitting watching TV it told me my HR was 113. Actual HR was mid 40s. Pity, but I guess you get what you pay for and at 100 euro I probably shouldn't have expected much better.

Now for the next bit.... What watch is a good alternative to the Rival? I'd use it a couple or three evenings to track HR/pace etc during walk or run. Could potentially use it on the bike also and would need to be able to pair power meter. Is there anything decent I could buy for under 200 euro that would do that for me with a good level of accuracy? Thanks

Edit - The Garmin FR55, Polar Pacer or Coros Pace 2 seem like viable alternatives.

On reflection, maybe it's just as well to stick with this and pair with my Polar H9 or Garmin HRM when I need HR data. From what I can gather these optical HR sensors in the price range I'm looking at are not exactly that accurate all the time, with the exception of the Huawei Watch GT3, but 3rd party sync with Huawei is appalling now.

Post edited by G1032 on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭nilhg

You'll pick up a non solar Instinct 2 for that budget, almost all the features of the much more expensive watches but a cheaper screen, almost indestructible too if that's important to you (it was to me)

https://www.tradeinn.com/bikeinn/en/garmin-instinct-2-watch/138726841/p

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Noraaay

The heart rate monitoring function of BP Doctor ECG5 feels good to use. It also comes with an additional ECG stand and heart rate strap. Very convenient.

Thanks nilhg. HR readings with the instinct 2 accurate??

Edit - I guess DC Rainmaker answers that for me!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭nilhg

I find them as expected with one strange edge case. If I wear the watch while cycling with my usual edge 530/Tickr HRM then the HR shown on the watch doesn't correspond. I think that's because at some stage I paired the HRM strap to the watch (I think when it was cold and I was wearing the watch over a base layer sleeve) and the watch is picking up the hrm from it but not displaying it as I'm not recording an activity. Walking or cycling with just the watch works exactly as expected

I found the same in regards the displayed HR, a good bit better with the actual number on the app in review but you can't parse the details in the app which is beyond stupid. Doesn't give you a max or min HR, you have to eyeball it. Seems to be a Wahoo thing, same with the bolt, where what is on the screen is a few seconds behind what is actually being recorded. To be honest, I have just been using it as a watch and nothing else, connected to my Bolt so I don't have to bother with a HR strap, but what's displayed and what I see after are different. Forgot all about this thread to be honest. My partner got a Garmin which seems alot more accurate, think it was a Venu, and has loads of cool side features, this has nothing. This said, now that I don't have the side features, I haven't really noticed, I just like having a watch.

I'd go for this over the Wahoo, I'd probably go for it as well if it was a few months ago.

Ya. The optical sensor HR displayed on the Rival is astonishingly poor. It's practically unusable. But when paired with a strap HRM the watch functions as I need it to. Considering keeping it. Do I really need to be spending an extra 100 quid on the Instinct 2......

What it records is better than what it displays but it still isn't great. If I was within the return window and know what I know now, I'd have returned it for the Garmin but on the same note, I wanted a watch with loads of fancy stuff and it turns out, that a watch that looks nice, tells the time, and doesn't need to be charged regularly is all I actually wanted. The battery life has been superb is the biggest compliment.

I've just ordered the Garmin. I can keep telling myself to just use a HR strap with the Rival but the whole reason for buying it in the first place was so I wouldn't have to do that. So I'll never be happy with it. Now for the next challenge - I initiated the return form for the Wahoo and it's telling me I'm only entitled to €81.29 refund (I.e. €99.99 I paid minus the VAT). Surely this can't be correct? I've mailed them for clarification.

The Garmin was €197 including delivery from Deporvillage.

Advertisement