Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"average Dublin house prices should fall to ‘the €300,000 mark" according to Many Lou McD.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭Blut2

I didn't make any claim about which financial year's budget the publication was referring to, merely when it was published - ie when awareness of the problems discussed in it was common. Which in this case shows awareness of the housing crisis existing long, long before 2020 - which is when the poster I was replying to claimed it began.

And what policy tools exactly would DCC have used to build these houses?

Large scale social house policy is decided, funded, and directed from national level. Its either deliberately deceptive, or just uneducatedly ignorant, to claim that DCC could have gone on a solo run in the mid 2010s building thousands of units of social housing, against government policy. The problem here was national policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cheddar Bob

• Registered Users Posts: 27,969 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

DCC had €40m in uncollected rent they could have used, and there was an unused allocation of €300m from the Government at the time to build houses, not to mention the crazy situation where the councillors instructed the council to object to their own plans for housing.

They literally had the money allocated from government but their incompetence meant they didn't spend it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,841 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Why lie when anyone can go back and check the posts?

Original claim.

Link is to the Threshold Submissions for Budget 2014 - made in September 2013. https://www.thejournal.ie/threshold-pre-budget-2014-submission-1078664-Sep2013/

The original link in your post is from September 2013 - not 2014. There's even a hint in thejournal http address FFS

Response from standardg60 - linking to the Sinn Féin 2014 Alternative Budget - published in September 2013

Your response - linking to Sinn Féin's 2015 Alternative Budget - published in September 2014 - a full year later.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

I already answered.

Someone else has aswell. I expect you to continue to ask the same question in the hope of a different answer. I think its 4-5 now after I answered and others. One has to wonder why

• Advertisement

Why would only 3,000 hit the open market? based on all the numbers I have seen the majority of houses build are been bought by people.

How have you come up with this 3,000 number?

In terms of a 2 bed terrace in Dublin, plenty available for 380k. I don't see why you want to make a difference between a new build and not? whats that about?

There were 4000 houses commenced within Dublin in 2023.

If we assumed these were all private builds, then at least 600 would go to the councils.

But they won't be all private builds- some will be all council/ AHB estates, others will be private builds where at least 15% will go to the council.

So all up I'd be surprised if 2500 actual houses eventually go on sale (I'm not sure any new flats go on sale any more, the bulk of projects are commissioned by investment funds or councils/ AHBs)

As for what difference does this make- some people would prefer to buy a new build (why- I don't know. Ugly as sin, management companies, you couldn't pay me to live in one).

A lack of new builds means people who otherwise fancied one have to cut their cloth and hit the second hand market.

The more buyers who crowd into that market the more pressure it puts on the cost of existing housing- directly linked to the lack of new supply for purchase.

A few pages back someone was crying that Irish people as a society need to cut their cloth when it comes to the 3 bed semi.

What I find funny is how the upper classes have to cut their cloth- if you told someone graduating from wherever in 2000 that in their early 40s the sum total of their hard work would be a pokey 1940s ex corpo in Crumlin they'd have laughed at you, as a spacious semi or even a stand alone in the DLR area was more in keeping with their expectation.

If I broke my savings and poured my soul into a 4 yr degree plus a masters plus a PHD plus a whatever, and after all that I ended up paying 370k for a two bed three doors down from Fat Freddie's mates in Crumlin, I'd be a tad questioning where did it go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭standardg60

I don't know where to start here. Firstly i never made any claim that the housing crisis started in 2020. As is clear my response to you initially was when you referred to the years 21,22 and 23 in relation to population increase.

Secondly, your link is literally not the SF budget submission for the year you or your link referred to, it was for the following year.

Thirdly, if you think that SF were the only ones recognising and doing something about the housing crisis at that time as they seem fond of espousing, this is Threshold's press release for that year's budget.

Fourthly, this is the sort of wishy-washy crap that forms SF's ideological policy that social housing is the be all and end all of the crisis and is the most economic solution, when in reality they were in charge of accruing 40m in rent arrears in DCC.

6,600 new tenants for Local Authorities would generate €89 million in rent revenue and save €148.5 million in rent supplement over five years. 

That is from your own link btw.

Anything to back this up or you guessing? Because again the numbers provided are people are buying houses

also a quick google says over 18k houses in the first 7 months of 2023

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

So the people at the bottom of the ladder, with the least amount of money are discerning enough to "prefer" a new build?

Well isn't that just lovely for them.

How much is this PHD of yours earning? If they did a PHD and built up debt but picked an industry that they cant make enough money in....is that everyone elses fault?

• Advertisement

Again, you're saying they had uncollected rent. So if they had collected the rent, then what? What exact policy tools were available to them to build thousands of houses?

The reality, which you seem unaware of, is that DCC don't have the power to engage in a large scale social housing programme like that. That decision making is at national level. Its the equivalent accusing DCC of not spending uncollected rent on buying fighter jets, if that makes things any clearer for you.

My initial post literally had [2014] on the first link. Thats the year I referred to. Its quite clear.

And, again, trying to argue the semantics of 2013 vs 2014 doesn't change the post I was replying to - which claimed the housing crisis only began in 2020, and nobody was aware of it or proposing solutions to it before then. Are you trying to agree with that post?

You didn't answer. You have yet to list a single policy tool DCC should have used.

You're posting 400+ times a month on this forum, repeatedly ignoring questions. Approaching 15 posts a day, every day of the week, for months on end. Thats hours a day of your life. Are you ok?

"no Government, or indeed change of Government, was going to see the crisis in advance,"

You claimed no government could have foreseen the crisis in advance, and only listed events since 2020 as being the causes of the crisis.

My point was not that SF were the only ones doing anything about the housing crisis in the 2010s, plenty of research bodies and academics were screaming about it at the time. My point is that our governments were the only ones not doing anything about the housing crisis.

Social housing isn't the be all and end all of the crisis. We should be building far more private sector housing units too. But the 60,000 households currently on HAP, costing the state over €1bn a year, have no place in the private rental market. They should all be in social housing, and would be if social housing construction had happened over the last decade. But it didn't, so instead we have these 60k households in the private rental market - driving up prices for everyone else trying to rent, and wasting billions of tax payer euros while we're at it.

Ahh here would you get out of it. It's hilarious some of the stuff people imagine to make excuses

In terms of posting I called you out on demanding people to keep responding to the same question you ask that was already answered. This is the reaction. 😂

No actual policies on offer again then, no?

One more of the 15 a day into the void I guess.

You keep count a chara.

What policy do you want to see? come on explain what you want to see. Unless you have a policy to say that the government gaev DCC 292m and then blocked them.

To me it looks like DCC are responsible for housing supply

Maybe you can find that document to say they are not or the government blocked them.

Someone who posts on internet forums 15 times a day, spending hours a day doing so, every single day, for months on end, probably shouldn't be calling anything pathetic, I'd think. That doesn't exactly suggest much quality of life.

That aside, you've been asked multiple times. Since you're claiming this is what they should and can do, what exact, specific, policy tools can DCC use to build thousands of houses?

Swing and a miss, as expected. DCC can't turn around and decide to build 10,000 homes this year under their Rapid Build, or Regeneration, schemes, even if they wanted to.

The funding required for large scale building, to your exact claim of "thousands of homes", under each of those schemes requires national level policy tool support and approval.

I eagerly await the next no doubt rapid reply trying to muddy the waters and walk back that claim, though.

This is what I posted:

Sinn fein took control of DCC in 2014 promising to build social housing, when they left in 2019 they had less units than they started with.

During the time building up 40m in debt in rent arrears and only removing one tenant.

That's a view of what is coming with the opposition .

Fact is population grew in Dublin by 75k over the period from 2014-2019 based on a google and during this period the Sinn Fein led DCC ended up with less unit in 2019 than they started with in 2014. An excellent example of Sinn Fein and housing.

This while the government provided close to 300m to DCC for housing, plus all of the money DCC should have received from rent of their current units.

As you have provided nothing to counter this but nonsense I will bow out. It's got as bad now as the LL don't pay tax, only 75% of them nonsense you started before.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭hometruths

If the population in Dublin grew by 75k between 2014 and 2019, do you know by how much the total housing stock in Dublin grew by during the same period?

• Advertisement

You claimed, and I quote directly, DCC could/should have built "thousands of houses".

Lets put some hard numbers on this since I know you're allergic to them.

The average cost for delivering a social housing unit in Dublin is in excess of €400k in 2023, but we'll round it down to €400k per unit for the same of simplicity.

To build 5,000 of these units per year, a number in the middle of your "thousands" range, would cost €2bn per year.

DCC's *total* revenue in 2023 was €1.24bn. And €700mn of that was spent on neccessary things unrelated to housing, only €550mn went to housing.

So to build 5000 units a year DCC would need an extra €1.5bn of funding per year. Do you think they can magically make this appear somehow through raising parking rates?

Or, to go back to my point from the very start, can you possibly realise that this level of funding is a policy tool only the national government can release?

I can see why you're bowing out.

Surely that average cost is so high because they're buying them in Part V of off developers?

It seems insane to think the average cost of building a social housing unit is 400k

How many houses could they have built without the rent arrears?

€40mn of rent arrears, at €400k a housing unit? The maths on that aren't particularly hard surely, a grand total of 100 housing units.

No, even council built prices are through the roof:

The review found one-bedroom apartments provided directly by the council cost €335,000, 11 per cent above the equivalent figure for AHBs (€303,000) and 34 per cent above the figure for “Part Vs “(€250,000).

For two-bedroom homes, the council construction costs of €514,000 were 23 per cent above the AHB average of €418,000 and 44 per cent above the Part V average €358,000.

The council paid an average of €600,000 for the construction of three-bedroom apartments during this period"

https://www.irishtimes.com/ireland/dublin/2023/02/15/dublin-city-council-pays-40-over-the-odds-for-social-housing-audit-finds/

DCC realistically would need a huge injection of funding from the national government, as well as longer term policies like training apprentices, guaranteed decade long contracts for builders etc, to be building the thousands of social housing units per year that are required. The tools aren't there at present to come anywhere near meeting the demand.

Those are staggering figures.

For two-bedroom homes, the council construction costs of €514,000 were 23 per cent above the AHB average of €418,000 and 44 per cent above the Part V average €358,000.

Presumably the Part V price of 358k includes something of a margin for the developer.

So the council cost to build could be more like 60% higher than the developer. Astonishing.

I would be in the "government needs to build social housing direct" school of thought, but those figures would certainly give you doubts about the merits. Criminal stuff.

In the late 2010s a Co Op seeking only a 5% profit built 3 bed terraces on DDC owned land in Ballymun for 165k.

It shows what absolute robbery is being committed when e DCC claims it costs them 400k a go.

Costs have risen since 2018/19 but not by 2.5 times.

Even if it was 50 units it would be better than none

This was also from 2014 to 2019 when the cost for a house build was not close to the cost it is today. Due to the reduction in social units from 2014 to 2019 we ended up with more pressure on the system.

Its just not just the costs that have risen, the regulations and thus the quality have also risen.

You might as well compare a Nokia 3310 to an iPhone and say its criminal the price difference.

• Advertisement

Since 2019? Is this more Eamon Ryan nonsense so?

Advertisement