Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Amatuerism v Professionalism. Small budgets v Big budgets. Has the horse bolted?

Comments

Some clubs are & some aren’t. Depends on location & population.

Well id say those 1% of elite top players have brought the game on leaps & bounds the past few year’s and probably account for a very high % of GAA revenue because people want to see them play.

Junior B player’s aren’t going to fill Semple stadium & Croke Park anymore!

would you not like to see a clear pathway from underage club to a Professional career? Or even having a piece of what other country’s have with there professional sports team’s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Would I like to see a clear pathway from underage club to a Professional career? In GAA? No not really. I just dont see how it works.

At the moment, elite players have a clear pathway to a highly organised and elite playing environment where they get the opportunity to play very exciting games in front of large crowds. That is a huge prize in itself.

Would I be telling a 19 year old - well you have the opportunity to play League of Ireland for €20k a year for the next 5 or 6 years at the end of which... what exactly; or you have the opportunity to go to college, get a degree, play intercounty - use that as a platform to build a career......I;m not sure why you think the professional route is better.

To your other point - hmm.... I dunno. Again, for me, the intercounty game for me is the cherry on the cake. Its not the cake. The cake is the circa 500,000 registered GAA club members; of whom probably half are kids.

For me - a far bigger issue that 'can elite players have a clear route to professionalism' is 'what is the path for weak players when they reach 17?'......teams that have gone from u6s all the way up to u16s....we all know the best player will be well looked after, county development squads, all that stuff. Loads of lads are worrying and thinking about the elite kid; this whole thread is dedicated to the elite kid.

What about the weakest player on the team, how do we keep that kids involved and playing once he gets to minor level. There are huge drop offs from u16 through to minor and then senior. How do we address that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

The last thing the GAA needs is bigger stadiums!

Smaller better quality stadia is the way to go.

For a country that has so much wind and rain it's a bit bizarre that 3/4's of most GAA grounds are uncovered. It doesn't make for a good match day experience.

I think your only thinking of the now and not too distant future.

Im thinking of at least 20 - 30 years ahead & where the organisation should be aiming for.

And where as a player & fan id like to see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,486 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

It was mentioned on the radio in relation to the Cork story that Ireland has more stadiums per capita than any other country. So I decided to look it up.

From the Echo in November 2021:

"Ireland, due to our historic sporting/political rivalries, already has more stadiums per capita than any country in the world. Most are small by international standards but many regional grounds for the GAA have significant capacities. We have 38 arenas, across the sports, with capacities in excess of 10,000 spectators. Most of these are the GAA regional HQs but we also have the large stadiums of Croke Park, 83,000, Aviva, 52,000, Páirc Uí Chaoimh, 69,000, Semple, 46,000, and the Gaelic Grounds with 44,000 to 50,000."

I assume that is for the 26 counties. One outlier is Louth, currently with no stadium able to hold Championship games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭threeball

No ones going to pay 60 quid a game. The premier league is cheaper than that. And you're not filling 30k seats either. With a 16 team league you'll end up with 15K per game at league games and 30-40k at a championship game. €20 is the most you'll knock out of a league game. 15 league games, 4 championship in a 6 month Season.

Hurling could spread further in a draft system as teams based further North could select guys from Tipp, KK and Cork plus some home grown. It would grow the game hugely just having a competitive team to follow.

People follow success and the chance of being successful. That's not attainable in the current model. There are the haves and have nots. Professionalism and a draft system and salary cap would turn that on its head.

Bringing female professionalism into the equation is just ridiculous. That will never happen. Any sport has to generate the funds to wash its own face. Can't be leveraging the mens game to subsidies the ladies game. If football was to go pro it wouldn't be expected to carry hurling and vice versa.

Plus there would never be 32 teams. 16 at most in football. 12 in hurling.

And thats where the whole thing breaks down.

Who gets to decide which teams should be pro and which shouldnt.

Dublin can go pro, but Meath cant. Or Meath can go pro, but Offaly cant. Or Offaly hurlers can go pro but the Offaly footballers cant.

Dublin pro team is playing Longford amateur team in the all Ireland... why should Longford show up....

What happens when the men are being paid and the women arent. Do you really think the Dublin mens team is training any harder than the Dublin womens team?

Not to mention that the players themselves arent particularly calling for it.

Will never happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

I thought the Ulster football championship might pull off a semi pro approach - figures don't really hold up. Only one championship that could really. Munster hurling championship. Well, over thirty thousand at a good few group game. Nearly 44,000 for the final.

You could have Munster games based over home, away, and neutral venue. Aggregate games for semis and finals - best of three. People can't get enough the games down here. People would whinge, they love a whinge. But they always go. The numbers of attendance are growing despite a cost of living crisis. That's because the product works. People don't turn their noses away from something that is enthralling just because there's more of it. It's strength is outlined again recently when Kiely said that winning the Munster final last year was the highlight of his time as manager. The atmosphere of the Munster games can't be beaten.

Once you go into a Ireland league format, that's an unknown without established precedent. Unlike the figures of the Munster hurling championship, the other teams don't really draw, even for finals, outside of Mayo and Dublin footballers. But it definitely could be tried. If the league of Ireland can pull it off, anyone can.

wow didn’t realise there was that many. 38 over 10k capacity!!

would love to know the bill for maintaining all these ground’s.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Treble double

Off topic but Kiely couldn't give a fiddlers about winning a Munster championship, would be just as happy to sneak in to the top 3 and get to an All Ireland semi under the radar. Lads getting carried away with the Munster Championship because there are tight games in it. Limerick can be caught in it because they are tapering their preparation for the business end of the season and know its not do or die. They would beat any of the teams in Munster pulling up in a knockout game in Croke Park at the moment. Cork and Tipp are far from vintage in recent years, Waterford are Waterford and Clare are all huff and puff untill it comes to do or die time in Croker. Your having a laugh if you think you could draw consistently big crowds for a professional game by these five plus two or three more playing against each other over and over again.

It's not about who trains harder. It's about who puts bums on seats and the women's game doesn't. Talk of it ever being professional is nonsense.

And in the pro game there would be no meath, meath would be aligned with 2 to 3 other counties and named something else. There's no possibility of a pro Dublin vs a pro Louth. It won't happen. Professionalism will happen but probably not for another decade.

that’s why i say maybe 2 or 3 teams from each province in an all Ireland league.

I think there’s probably 8- 10 teams that are well placed in terms of population & stadiums.

Kerry cork playing in Puc

Dublin playing in Croke park

Galway mayo redeveloped stadium in Connacht

Belfast derry in new casement & other redeveloped stadium

• Advertisement

OK I think we both agree that the pro game cant work for the womens game. Nobody is arguing for that.

My point here - which you have not addressed - is how a pro game could work in the mens game.

Seriously - you think they'll get rid of the county structures, so that a handful of players can get a few hundred euros a week.....?

Maybe while we are at it, if they made the pitch smaller, got rid of points, only had goals, no more handling of the ball (except for the goalkeeper), introduce offside and corner kicks....

OK - and so lets Galway are in the league - and they are pro. And then they get relegated. Do they stop being pro? And then say Armagh get promoted, do they start being pro? But what if they get relegated again the following year. And what about the class player from Roscommon. Will he be able to move club to Galway so he can go pro? None of this works in practice.

Well this is admittedly a problem, do we have a relegation system or a system like the rugby system where there’s no relegation.

Personally i think relegation wouldn’t work as it gets very complicated then & you’ll need a similar lower league system that won’t generate the money and sustain the team’s.

So maybe 10 or 12 pro teams based all over the country.

If roscommon had a David Clifford type player he can go wherever he want’s. But the system i have in mind would be all pro clubs will have an academy system and clubs in the regions to produce player’s.

I would hate to see a system like soccer where the likes of Man City & Saudi Arabia can buy whoever they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Treble double

Proffesionalism, semi professionalism for players would be the death knell for the Gaa. There isn't enough competitive teams in hurling to even consider it and football is a poor enough spectacle now, further sterilising it with paid athletic robots would finish it. What needs to happen is to rein in the time that players are allowed to train collectively and bring it back to where it fits into healthy work life balance for athletically gifted young adults. Enforce this doggedly with expulsion from competition being the penalty for a breach. The county boards will be happy to cooperate.

We had over 100 year’s of that already

Surely nobody wants another 100 of it.

Football & rugby have some shocking games a lot of time but still get the crowd’s & money.

• Advertisement

There's no point in having a conversation with you as your arguments just take on the most nonsensical meanders possible. Jumping from womens professional leagues to reducing the pitch and taking away points.

As the game is, its unsustainable. €35 million a year and increasing being pumped in to IC where 95% have no chance of winning anything ever. Guys leaving the game in weaker counties as the demands are too high for the rewards. Neil McManus born in Antrim, wonderful hurler, trains as hard as anyone, will never play in even a significant game. An inferior hurler from KK would have 3 All Irelands in his pocket. Emlyn Mulligan from Leitrim, same story. Players are leaving in their droves, even from successful counties.

People are losing interest, in football especially, as the game is too predictable. You know who's likely to win it every year. Draws have no one watching as Galway always draw Mayo and Roscommon, Derry always draw Donegal or Armagh. Same thing, year in, year out.

It won't happen today or tomorrow but the games will go one of two ways. There'll be a professional league or IC will be severely cut back due to players not willing to invest their lives for nothing.

The problem I guess is that the GAA is built around volunteerism. It completely breaks down without it.

And I think a lot of friction would come from a situation where - on the one hand, people are giving up enormous amounts of time, which they do, to support the organisation - and on the other hand, some people are being paid to play. I just cant see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,290 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

All sports are built on volunteerism.

Soccer and rugby are full of volunteers.

Some people in the GAA need to stop pulling themselves off to this idea that only the GAA has volunteers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,447 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Football & rugby have some shocking games a lot of time but still get the crowd’s & money.

Not in Ireland they don't.

The problem we have will always be the problem we'll have.

We are too small a market for decent size professional GAA.

There are just not enough people and thus not enough money to make it feasible.

If you want to compensate players better then look at what college football did.

For years there was conflict over players not being able to earn anything from their efforts.

Players got suspended for as minor an infraction as getting discounts at a tattoo shop.

So they came up with a compromise called Name, Image and Likeness (NIL) .

Now players can do endorsement deals with companies and brands to earn money from their popularity as players.

I know GAA players are seen going around in a new Volvo from their local Volvo dealer with some branding on it, but it could be extended to them actually signing contract to endorse something and get paid for it.

In college football the big high profile players get the big NIL deals but there are also lower profile local ones for les well known players.

The same could happen here, yes David Clifford will be the face of nationally recognized brands, but Ben O' Carroll could also be the face of such and such brand in Roscommon and get some income for his efforts.

Good few players making a few pound in a lot of different ways - especially on social media. This is from years ago:

‘Dublin's Dean Rock can command €1,300 per sponsored Instagram post – he has nearly 37,000 followers on the social media platform. Galway footballer Damien Comer can demand €665 per post, and a third of that for an Instagram story. Tipperary dual player Orla O'Dwyer – currently playing with the Brisbane Lions in the AFLW – can charge €830 for one post to her 24,000 followers.’

They probably have twice that following now. I’d say O’Dwyer does

The population argument is a bit of a fallacy. The average salary in the Danish league is 52k per year. A country with a similar population and not as invested in the sport as Ireland is in GAA. I know many Danes and 50% have little to no interest in soccer or the Danish league. Portugal sustains a very high waged league, averaging over €300,000 with a population of only €10million. The Austrian league where football is probably the 5th most interesting sport after Skiing, Biking etc. is over €40k per annum. There's absolutely no doubt that there is sufficient population and money here to support a pro league but not in the current configuration of 32 completely imbalanced teams.

And in a Pro league you'd be retaining all the guys that went to Australia, went to Rugby or just left the game and so the standards would improve generating more interest and more revenue. It would raise players profiles as they could dedicate time to visiting schools, charities, hospitals which would increase their brand and their ability to earn additional money on top of their base salary. More kids would stay playing the game if they thought they could potentially make a living from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭randd1

In football, say you have two leagues, 16 counties per league (32 teams), so 15 game season, QF's, SF's final. Cup competition on provincial grounds, max 6 games. Max 24 games a season for arguments sake.

Each county side has a panel of 32 and a management/backroom team of 18. So 50 involved in total.

Everyone involved gets €500 per game.

So 32 teams, of 50 people, max 24 games, at €500 a head. That's €19,200,000. Now obviously the final total is a good bit lower than that as half the teams would only be getting 16 games a year, but it's the max that can be paid out.

Would that be sustainable? Say, add €5 to match days and have 4/5 official sponsors putting in a million quid a year.

It's possible for me. Might be a disaster, but its possible. And if it's possible, you can be sure it'll be tried at some stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭brokenbad

Colm O'Rourke summed it up perfectly a few years back when he said "Ask not what i can do for the GAA, but what the GAA can do for me"

• Advertisement

But nobody will know what Ireland’s population will be in 20 - 40 year’s time. But current trends suggest there’s gonna be a lot more people living here in our city’s especially.

If there’s 15 fixtures that means there isn’t equal home & away fixtures?

I think the problem with anymore than 10 or 12 teams is the resources. And levels & competitiveness between team 1st & team 16th would be probably be so vast it wouldn’t generate public interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭randd1

Yeah, just the 15 round robin games, home and away alternates every year. Keeps the season short and allows for the Cup.

Massive potential for promotion/relegation would a way of keeping it interesting. Say in the top league, bottom two relegated automatically, next two play off to stay up/go down. You'd have to finish 12th or higher to avoid relegation in the round robin. In the bottom tier. SF losers play off to see how gets promoted.

As an aside, even ignoring the semi-pro side of things, I wouldn't mind seeing that for football.

32 teams on an island of 6 million people isn't sustainable in any guise. It worked when we moved around in Ass carts and Bikes. Now you can get to 90% of the country inside 3hours. 16 teams, 15 league games and 4-5 championship scattered throughout the league would work well, giving a max of 21 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Last season, Austrian clubs received €51 Million in UEFA money. Danish clubs shared the same amount. Portuguese teams earned €151 Million.

Then you have transfer money. In 2023/24 Austrian clubs brought a net €67.6 Million into the league through transfers abroad, and the Danish figure was €63.6 Million. Portugal's: €97 Million.

So before they sell a single ticket, or sign a TV deal, put a sponsor on the shirt etc. the Danish clubs between them have nearly €120 Million in the bank from 2 revenue streams Gaelic Games will never have.

What will compensate for it?

Sort of 6 Nations type arrangement or system? I love the idea of it, definitely worth trying.

i think the problem is

If team A had to go away to a Kerry or Dublin during the season, and was expecting too host Dublin or A Kerry next season & ends up getting relegated. They would lose out on serious money & Income for next year making the whole system unbalanced.

Thank you

You saved me looking for that info and posting it.

People need to remember that GAA is a niche sport (well two niche sports obviously) played in a small country of 6 odd million.

There is no example of a professional sport that compares with those fundamentals.

How does any European soccer market, and one of the richest sports in the world, have relevancy to a possible semi professional national sport?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

The post I was responding to was effectively saying "If Denmark and Austria can have professional soccer leagues, we can have a professional GAA"

• Advertisement

Thats the now.

There could be 10 or 15 million people living here in 20 years time.

And it isn’t a niche sport anymore. It’s got clubs all over the world playing it & bases in some of the Wealthiest city’s in the world.

And Connections, revenue & infrastructure alot of sports envy.

The Danish league is a good comparison but I don't agree with your "invested in" bit. 50% of Irish people I know or probably even more than that don't care about GAA. The Danish league also gets extra funds from being involved in European competition, the FA gets funds from International competition and also clubs get transfer fees from abroad. It is also 1 sport not 2 which is a problem for GAA

It's still a great comparison though and shows that we could sustain a 10/12 team professional league with 15/20k average attendances.

There will be a hell of a lot of disappointed counties though. Not just 20 out of 32 because people forget these pro leagues usually have 2 or 3 teams from the capital and maybe 2 from the 2nd city.

Every sport has clubs all over the world. Another of these weird myths the GAA orgasms over is we are the only sport with expat foreign clubs (and don't bother coming back with the propaganda articles about the locals taking it up).

It is a completely unknown anonymous sport in London who actually have a team never mind the rest of the world.

No one "envies" GAA because they don't know it exists.

The teams would have to be spread evenly around the country. Dublin would get one because they could sustain it but other areas would need to amalgamate. You'd need less populous counties to amalgamate with a more populous neighbour and situate the home ground in a convenient location to all. So for example. Meath, Louth, monaghan with the home ground in Navan or Dundalk. Repeated around the country till all 32 counties had a team round which to rally.

We are not tripling our population in 20 years.

I don't know if you have noticed but a lot of our population growth has come from outside Ireland.

From experience it's very difficult to get the kids of immigrants into GAA.

They'll come as under 6s and try it for a while but to them and their parents it's a totally foreign sport that they never saw before and they don't last long.

They tend to stick longer at soccer or basketball, sports that are more familiar to them and their parents.

So even though the population might be increasing there is no guarantee that the drivers of that population will become interested in GAA.

As for there being clubs all over the world, you are right, there are, but it's just a hobby for those involved, it's a social sport.

Even in North America where the GAA has had a presence for decades it's just a social sport.

Soccer has been trying to break North America forever and is still way behind the other big sports, and an international sport like rugby is almost invincible in the US.

So how do you expect GAA to get traction?

No i wouldn’t agree with that at all, there’s very few team sport’s outside of soccer or the mainstream stuff we see on tv, that has the connection’s or system’s The GAA have in other country’s.

And there all in their infancy really.

I can remember when iv been on holiday’s abroad all over the world and if your in an Irish bar or sports bar or whatever there’s always been GAA on the tele and the places are packed drawing huge crowds.

So I don’t underestimate how popular GAA is in the world. It’s in a very good place at the moment.

"Or the mainstream stuff we see on TV"

You only know this because we see it on TV. Other minor sports have their tiny expat clubs too you just don't see them.

And yes if you go into an Irish bar abroad you will see GAA. As for other sports bars I call bullsht on that.

No foreigner I ever met heard off GAA I til me or another Irish person told them about it and non took it up.

You and a large portion of this thread are living in some little dreamland GAA bubble.

That's a nice ideal but what big professional sport has the capital (or major population like NY/Glasgow/Sydney) only has one team.

3 separate Dublin teams could have more of a population than most counties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,486 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Going back to the first post, it was prompted by something which made no reference to Pay for Play. The Amateurism v Professionalism title is misleading, and there is no prospect of Pay for Play. Ryan has loads of questions and is looking for a review of everything. It is just hot air. Things will continue the way they are, with plenty of money for backroom teams. That is what the counties want.

I wonder what he means by his reference to the GPA though? The GPA have become more powerful over the years, and while players at the top level are not professional, they are getting well looked after. There is less stuff in the media these days about paying players than years ago. I think this is because of the progress the GPA has achieved.

“We also need to review our relationship with the GPA and ensure that how we support our inter-county players is done in the most beneficial and cost-effective manner possible in the best interests of our players and the overall Association.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,952 ✭✭✭kksaints

There's optimism and then there's this. If any sport is going to benefit from large expat communities in its non traditional areas it will be cricket not the GAA. There isn't going to be an explosion in popularity in the GAA outside of Ireland, it's non-existent outside of expat communities abroad. Maybe go to some non-Irish pubs abroad next time.

Yes they could but all your looking for is that the team is sustainable. Across the 3 counties I gave as an example the population would be north of 400k. More than enough to ensure 15k per game for any professional team.

If you based all the teams round the population centres you'll lose the areas without teams. Other sports would take over and you'd lose talent and it would eventually hurt the game. It wouldn't be a good move alienating 30 to 40% of you market and probably the areas most invested in the sports to begin with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,496 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

You seem to have started from the position that Professionalism and new league structures could work, and so are shaping everything to fit that position. So the GAA is super popular all over the world, people will flock in their tens of thousands to this new format, counties will join together with great enthusiasm, etc etc.

The problem is that its all bunk.

I agree that amalgamation is the way to go but some will fail and the country will be left with gaps. Look at the rugby hotbed but population challenged area of Pontypridd for example. It's great to say they "could work" but real world examples are hard to come by. Money will force the moving of the Limerick/Tipp/Waterford joint team to Fingal just like every other pro sport.

• Advertisement
Advertisement