Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northern Ireland and powersharing in Stormount.

Options
  • 17-01-2024 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,006 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Will they ever get back to having a Government in Northern Ireland? Its nearly two years of no Government now and its a disgrace.

Yet again today they could not agree on a speaker for the house no Government even do there workers are about to go on strike.

How would you solve it is it solvable?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

The only way to restore power sharing is to let the DUP have the first minister post. They just can't stomach a sinn Fein first minister and every one of their objections is dancing around that inconvenient fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

^^^^

100% this.

They can waffle about protocols and brexit and border etc, but the cold hard fact is that they simply can't accept a Catholic/Nationalist as the top dog.

They never thought the time would come, now it has.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,208 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

But if the DUP get offered the post of First Minister and jump back into government doesn't it look terrible for them, proving that it was never about the Windsor Framework as they have constantly claimed it is.

It looks much better for them to stay out claiming it's because of the Framework rather than going back in if they just get the First Minister job.

I think they will fudge their acceptance of the framework eventually and just go back in regardless of who is First Minister

• The whole way the assembly is run is going to have to be looked at by the two governments. The inclusive nature of how it operates is now holding it back. Having to declare as "Nationalist" "Unionist" or "Other" and items of business needing "cross community support" in order to proceed are now being used by the two traditional blocs to hold things up if they don't get their way. It's understandable that an inclusive system of government was brought in to avoid the possibility of a re-run of the old pre 1972 Stormont regime. But it's clear now that the current system isn't fit for purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭trashcan

I would guess their plan is to try and hold out until there is another election, in the hope that they can reverse the result of last time. If that happens, watch the Brexit/protocol issues suddenly get resolved to their satisfaction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,529 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The DUP are like the kid who gets in a huff when he is loosing so takes his ball and sulks off home ruining it for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Would they increase their seats in a new election? Seems the unionist vote is split.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,483 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

At the last election they got 21% of the vote but 28% of the seats, which looks like extraordinary good luck. So, even if their vote share doesn't go down at all in the next election — even if it goes up a bit, in fact — there's a sporting chance that they'll end up with fewer seats, rather than more seats. And they'll know this.

I don't share the view that this is all about not having an SF First Minister. No doubt that's very unpleasant for them, but they are perfectly aware that it's meaningless; the titles may differ, but the legal powers, status, role and authority of the First Minister and the Deputy First Minister are in fact identical. They'd like to hang on to the symbolic title, but I don't think they would jeopardise their access to power and patronage, and risk some form of direct rule with input from the Irish government, for the sake of an empty symbol. I think their objections to the Windsor Framework are genuine. The way they're pursuing those objections is astonishingly stupid, but the objections themselves are sincere and heartfelt.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭steinbock123

Why isn’t there a rule that says if you stand for election, and win, you must go to Stormont and take your seat. If you don’t, the seat goes to whoever finished second. And if second place refuses, give it to the third place finisher. And - nobody gets paid a salary, or even half a salary, if they don’t take their seats.

They wouldn’t be long about going back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,208 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I doubt SF would be interested in setting that sort of precedent.

• Advertisement

True. After all, SF refused to work and brought down Stormont in recent years as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,446 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

You don't think unionists would act stupid and dangerous for the sake of an empty symbol? Are you aware of what the DUP are?

The DUP are a disgrace, but the real problem are the people who watch their country fall into ruin because their politicians won't do their jobs and then go out and vote for them again.

If the DUP doesn't get downvoted into oblivion if ever there is another election then Northern Ireland deserves all it gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,483 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

What Tod said.

Plus, there's an obvious issue of democratic legitimacy in awarding a seat to a candidate who was rejected by the voters — voters who may have voted for the winning candidate in the full knowledge of their abstentionist policy.

A more defensible reform would be arranging matters so that MLAs couldn't, by absention, prevent the formation and operation of an executive. They could opt out themselves, but they couldn't prevent others from participating. But that means ignoring or overturning the multi-party agreement. It would be very problematic for the UK government, or the two governments, to do that without securing the buy-in of the parties to that agreement.

They do say you get the politicians you deserve. Its your choice.

But the nature of NI politics always means that a large section of society will always vote for the same party, whether it is good for them or not.

I know plenty of SF supporters who HATE the SDLP, and would never vote for them, and vice versa, so it's not just the unionists you can blame for being intransigent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,058 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Why won't the Westminster government call an election in NI?

They can't form a government so let the people decide until they elect a government who can.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Stand up to the f*cking DUP. They're directly responsible for the whole mess so the continued pandering to them by Westminster is insane. Either they go back to power sharing or NI goes under direct rule and Westminster just shoves through anything SF fancies. Or we could do a border poll and make them someone else's problem (speaking as a UK resident).

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 16,006 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I agree with all the posters here about the DUB. I was hoping that the voters in Northern Ireland would destroy them last year and when thet did not I was very dissapounted with them. I think another election is needed in Northern Ireland and if it happens and the results are near enough the same then the people of Northern Ireland have no one to blame but themselves fir whatever happens after that. The DUP are a disgrace and deserves to be destroyed in the next elections.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

To be fair, it's not all of the nearly 2 million people of Northern Ireland that are to blame, it's just the people that vote for the DUP and other parties that refuse to form a government. So one half of the people have the other half to blame for it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

That'd just split the Unionist vote though. A lot of Unionists might prefer the UUP or someone more moderate but voting another way risks a Republican win so the DUP endures.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

I haven't voted in 6 years so I am not to blame for anything. I voted for Brexit though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,040 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Didn't Sinn Fein shut down the assembly the last time?

Maybe if they got rid of the DUP and Sinn Fein then Northern Ireland might have some hope.

As I recall it, Sinn Féin called for a fresh election in 2017 after the DUP were caught out with the whole cash for ash scandal.

Then after the election the negotiations between the parties led to a deal that the DUP walked away from and they refused to resume negotiations for years.

This current stalemate in negotiations is just another example of the DUP denying Nationalists their rights.

That's a specific view on it.

Removal of DUP and Sinn Fein would go a long way to getting a lot of issues resolved in the North

From the article

Did Sinn Féin bring Stormont down for three years?

In one sense, yes – but it’s a bit more complicated than that.

So yes they did.

Ignoring the part where as pointed out already, the DUP did.

Excellent example of what is going on in Northern Ireland

A supporter of a party totally burying their head in the sand and ignoring what is going on.

As I said the best result for Northern Ireland would be for the DUP and Sinn Fein to get kicked out. Then they might be able to move on

The GFA agreement is 26 years ago now and the two of them have spent 26 years bickering like clowns.

You're very quick to accuse there, assuming I am a supporter of Sinn Féin. It's not a biased point to point out the DUP are at the core of all the issues here and it's not a new thing.

And taking away voters rights to vote for parties they prefer is obviously not compatible with democracy. Voters are entitled to vote for parties that carry out their wishes, it just happens that the DUP voters aren't bothered with the current status enough to change their votes.

Getting rid of the parties will not make any difference, what you are really saying is get rid of the voters behind the parties, and obviously that is not the way forward. When there are two large parties that won't meet in the middle and preventing the devolved government from forming, what else can be done if one side refuses to negotiate? Just wait for the State Secretary to call another election, which for some reason he is refusing to do.

What is he waiting for? For the country to get so bad that it will eventually force the DUP to come to the table?

• Advertisement

Both sides.

The DUP are responsible for the Brexit nonsense, the protocol hullabaloo and the shutdown of the Assembly. Sure, both sides bicker but only one engaged in corruption and was too stupid to make sure they benefited from it.

Advertisement