Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new recycling system

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,004 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

You made up a claim and attributed to me.

There is only person deflecting.

It is completely and dishonest bad faith posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭bren2001

You have no data to back up the claim that RVMs will not allow a country to meet the collection targets set out in the scheme.

No matter what anyone says, you’ll deflect it and answer a different question. You’ll say it’s impossible to answer because we might have already met them (no evidence of that). You say they can because we may have already met them and installing them is wasteful (no data).

Theres zero acknowledgement from you that RVMs facilitate Ireland or any other country in meeting the targets. They have been demonstrated to be effective.

You can acknowledge all of that and still disagree with the scheme. You won’t. You’ll deflect again.

You have no data to back up the claim that RVMs will not allow a country to meet the collection targets set out in the scheme.

5th time, I made no such claim.

And as you acknowledge yourself we may have already reached our collection targets.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,044 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

This is true, it was a bit of fun in the beginning poking fun at him and making him look like a fool but it's getting tiring now despite him doing a lot of the work himself haha!

I'm gonna go ahead and ignore him and hope that anybody with genuine questions about the new scheme isn't distracted by his nonsense

With that being said does anybody know how the DRS works in airports in other countries? IE if I go through airport security at Frankfurt intl and buy a can of coke in a shop is the deposit still charged?

Hopefully boggles is ignoring me and doesn't try to make himself look foolish again by replying to this with stink

• Registered Users Posts: 68,647 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Danish and German airports have charged me with no way to get it back. There is an RVM in Berlin airport, land side; and some donations bins around also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,044 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

That's unfortunate no more cans of coke in the airport for me I guess haha!

More deflection. You can't change what you wrote after the fact. You said you had conclusive evidence to show RVMs do not meet the Directive targets. I'm yet to see that.

Have a nice day.

Interesting.

"The ultimate goal here is we have EU recycling targets of 77% by 2025 and 90% of 2029"

Now I don't expect Mary from midwest radio to call out these lies, but surely some journalist will?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

Since everyone keeps throwing around the words "bad faith" and "bad science", I been visiting a couple of RVM's today and have managed to look inside one of them (can't say where exactly or which supermarket for privacy/legal reasons, but its in a big franchise chain, and is'nt Aldi or Lidl).

The guy working there had'nt a clue how the machines work and knows nothing about it, but he opened the door and let me look inside. it was a big room looking thing attached to the RVM itself, massive inside.

Anyhow there's was multiple light things in it followed by a conveyer belt looking thing, and down at the very end the bottles/cans go. A Touch screen pad (machine was turned on but said something like "currently not in use" on the digital screen with a red X. Inside of the machine at the top left there's a green light, then a bit further down inside it further theres 2 lights on the top right.

Would it be fair to assume that the cheaper the store is = the cheaper the RVM is? the other 3 rvm's i seen today were nothing like this and had no digital display turned on or anything, only a large sticker or paper thing saying something about February 1st.

________

EDIT: i spent a half an hour looking at it, and done everything i could science wise, without turning it on and being able to use it. i measured all sorts of bottles inside of it, and fooled around with cans too. it has a feeling that the airport security things have, but no idea if it functions like that, could be a bluff. who knows. either way im looking forward to finding out more about these rvms. and more specificly, how to benefit from them,

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

thanks for the explanation. 2.2 cents seems very low as a processing fee, its likely more of a hindrance to the supermarkets than anything

• Advertisement

It is a hinderance, I think I read in one of the ReTurn presentations, the expected payback period is 7 years. That will vary wildly on the density per RVM.

7 years? WOW!! no wonder they're so stingy! 7 years is a bad time for return on investment. it's literally like they're swapping money for increased recycling results to show the EU. Well their upfront cost of the machines, and OUR (the public's) money from the deposits.

Idk why we should be doing them any favors though... scratching my head with this one. It's like we're being forced into it with the whole deposit thing, and then only being able to break even at best. Whole thing is a scam. ONLY THEY benefit from it. Free help for them essentially, public left doing the footwork and footing the bill. Not the cost of the machine i mean, but with the recyclables AND the deposit side of things.

They should give us some real reward/profit incentive, like what the other previous RVM's did, like a voucher for a shop that didnt require us to pay a deposit on those cans. now THAT was worth something. If they did this with cash, and removed the lame "has to have our label" lark, then they can get results much faster in terms of units recycled. And would be easier. they want far too much control and offering nothing really beneficial to us in return for the free help they demand.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,681 ✭✭✭SteM

So where do you think this money would come from? Who would supply it if not from deposits?

There is a far cheaper less polluting digital alternative.

Of course it would eliminate the cash grab and bloated expensive mess.

So probably not for us.

When Germany adopt it, we probably will 25 years later.

A system that doesn't actually ensure that the container was recycled (and hence is utterly pointless) and is being promoted by a packaging firm that wants to do the cash-grab for the custom coding required to implement it.

Yeah, that's not an alternative, its a Young Scientist project gone wrong.

Also that article has clearly been run through a crap generative AI to make up some of the text.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Does the deposit scheme ensure the containers will be recycled? I think it only ensures collection (same as the existing green bin) and sorting (unlike the existing green bin).

There is a single backend collection operation that will ensure they go to recycling; but that Young Scientist on Acid project there doesn't even ensure they go in to a bin. You could scan the code outside the shop and feck it in to the gutter and get your 20p. It does absolutely and utterly nothing, other than cost someone (Mastercard on that trial) money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Sconsey

There is a single backend collection operation that will ensure they go to recycling;

I thought we were promised the same thing with the introduction of the green bin but that was not the case (unless burning in an incinerator counts as recycling). Hope this scheme is different.

There's tens to hundreds of waste collection firms in Ireland (due to some Libertarian nonsense where privatising a natural monopoly is seen as sensible), so there's no single backend for green bin waste.

But the main problem is even green bin waste is basically always contaminated. Ten people doing it properly will have their stuff made useless by the person who buried nappies and food waste at the bottom of the green bin thinking they were Getting One Over On The Man(tm).

RVM collection ensures an actually usable PET stream. It also reduces the contamination sources in green bits - dribbles from cans end up wetting paper/cardboard - but doesn't deal with the nappies in the next bin down unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭howiya

I wonder how long it will take before Re-turn's monopoly is dismantled in a similar fashion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭howiya

After reading countless posts about collection stats/targets it got me wondering.

How will materials that are either not brought back to RVMs or rejected by RVMs be counted towards the targets we need to reach?

I'm making an assumption but anything you put in your green bin won't be counted.

ReTurns "monopoly" will likely never be "dismantled". It would be almost impossible to not have a single operator for the scheme. There is no benefit to privatize it that I can see.

A system that doesn't actually ensure that the container was recycled

I must have missed the part where the container you put in this scheme is guaranteed to be recycled.

Have you citation for that?

we tested real deposits and refunds in Dublin with the Irish Waste Management Association and PANDA, seeing an impressive 94% return rate.

but that Young Scientist on Acid project

Yes, technology certainly is not the way forward, apps can be hacked FFS.

Anyway you are right this is just niche tech some nerd belted together in his bedroom. Will never work.

People may not have heard of Ocado but they are a pretty big deal in terms of retail and tech.

This random wall of broken quotes doesn't make any sense. What trial are you claiming the 94% from?

The Young Scientist Project you've clearly just found by desperate googling doesn't even ensure that the container goes in a bin, any bin, before giving you MasterCard/Ocados money. It is a pointless waste of time Greenwash.

It acheives nothing but might convince a few people who don't look at anything on depth. A bit like your bad faith arguments.

Government already paid them with grants to do it, to set up the machines etc. Despite people saying here the previous super markets paid the costs for their RVM's in return for PR. To Be clear deposits is'nt paying for the machines, that money is going into RE-turns own pocket. They claim this and that goes towards _____ or some excuse relating to transport and recycling, but really its just numbers and a half assed attempt at transparency as an excuse to keep the money and profit from all this. What they're doing is simular to compounding, they're putting all of their profits into building their own thing bigger. And people see "non-profit" and "not for profit" thinking that they gain nothing from it, its quite a misleading term. They clearly profit by growing bigger and re-investing the funds into themself.

its like if i owned a shop and used my profits to purchase more stock, so i can be like "i'm got no profit from this, i have no profits" when clearly my profits went into the shop itself

I see you're back to just making stuff up again.

When you don't understand something, like is blatantly clear here, don't just make up whatever nonsense comes in to your head to fill in the gaps.

Its pretty obvious that the digital deposit return scheme is nonsense.

There's no guarantee that the bottle is placed in the correct bin. There is no guarantee that the bottle is separated from other waste. There is no guarantee that the same bottle isn't used multiple times to reclaim the deposit.

The only thing a digital scheme like that ensures is someone takes a photo of the bottle which could be done 5 seconds after purchasing it.

if their stuff is contaminated, they (whoever gets it after collecting the reycleables) should CLEAN them then. Like i said previously, they want all the people doing the footwork but not willing to put their own effort unless they're being paid to. Also what about water charges? are you telling me the people who was and clean their recycleables, have their recyelables all thrown out and gone to waste, because someone else put a tin can with coca cola remains into the same recycling bit truck? surely there should be some mass cleaning thing they can put the metals in, otherwise its the waste collectors who are wasting our own recycleables. like seriously whats the point of recycling then if they are not even going to recycle our recycleables???

i'snt the whole point of recycling, the fact that they recycle the recycleable things we put in green bin??

Great point, I imagine that it will be allowed grow uncontrollably before that has to happen.

Glass is obvious the next grab, then electronics, then into more lucrative scrap.

• Advertisement

Again, you're filling in the gaps in your knowledge with pure imagination here.

Dirty paper/cardboard can't be cleaned. Plastics can be, but it takes time and money to do so, generally eliminating any remaining value they had and becoming a cost.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement