Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭BK5

Thawed out the windscreen of the car this morning and when I went to go home from work 9 hours later the windscreen had frozen over again.

Everyone in work had the same idea as me, park somewhere where the sun can get on the car and if your slow like me your car ends up in the shade :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,268 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Just back from the NCT, car reading it as -3!!

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Just saw the weather on.the RTE news, saying its reading as -4 across the weather stations and expected to get colder overnight... driving could be fun in the morning.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement

It did indeed, thankfully. Funds tight at the moment so the last thing I needed was work on a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

That deserves a lifetime achievement award 😂.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭A cup of te

@BK5 I got one of those thermal windscreen covers in Lidl just before Christmas and it works wonders. absolutely no frost on my windscreen. Just had to put De-icer on the back window and the driver and passenger windows. The rest was perfect. It covers your wing mirrors too.Wish I'd bought one years ago. It was really cheap too. Can't remember the price but it was cheap. Recommend it!

Would've loved this weather over the Christmas. Not fun when you're driving to work and other events in it!

Thanks for the tip on this, just looked them up and they are cheap. Even if I can't get the Lidl one you can get them online for around the €10 mark. Will order one today. 👍️

I bought one about 2 years ago, and as it turned out last winter I didnt need it once as it was so mild, left it in the shed & now I cant find the thing!!

Looking like the frosty weather will be gone by the weekend though with milder & much wetter conditions coming back. i.e. more rain!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Waking up this morning certainly reminded me of winter days of my youth it was so frosty out.

Still -3 out there now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭pigtail33

Me too. It brings back memories of when the net curtains used to freeze to the inside of the window! I can't imagine how cold it would have been in the house for that to happen. Myself and my sister used to peel them off the bottom of the window so we could look out hoping that it would start snowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,400 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

It's minus 4 in meath. The house is toasty though so I'm not complainaing.It'll be nice for a walk while its still bright.

-4 here currently. Even with the heating on and being behind triple glazed windows you can still feel the cold!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

-2 with real feel -7, again triple glaze and heating on.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Andrew93

-4 here in Meath. Have unfortunately seen 2 people fall walking outside my house this morning.

Nothing serious thankfully!

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

Was -6 here this morning (07:00) up to -1 to 0 now

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

2 degrees out here now and compared to this morning it feels closer to 20 degrees as this morning was so cold!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Where are the RTE news crew when you need them?!

• Advertisement

2 degrees here with real feel -3.

Frost didn't clear from the garden at all, which is a surprise as we get "the sun", the car was grand by about 11....in contrast to the neighbours across the road that still had frost on theirs at 1:40. They don't get the sun until the afternoon!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭gidget

Have to keep changing the water bowls on my bird feeder through the day, literally changed it first thing this morning and brought my dog for a walk, when I returned the water was already beginning to freeze over again.

Sad & sickened to say I saw two posts from animal rescues today about puppies being found abandoned. DSPCA got called out when 4 puppies were found abandoned in a park yesterday morning & Dogs Aid had a post today about 3 puppies found abandoned outside a building site, all left out in those temperatures for who knows how long - these are the types of folk that deserve every bit of bad luck in their lives cause they are truly soulless.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

That's so awful. 😞 Any time I see something like this I then wonder where the mammy dog is. The people who work in those rescues are heroes.

I said that to my son, as soon as I order this we won't see a hint of frost for the rest of the year.

Very frosty again this morning so be careful folks. It's supposed to warm up this afternoon and not freeze tonight and by Sunday it will free like summer compared to the last 4 or 5 days.

Happy and safe Friday everyone.

According to the weather forum there's a storm brewing this weekend.

2 degrees here, real feel -3.

The sky is lovely.

We're meant to have our first friendly match of the season tomorrow, but given how hard the ground is at the moment I cant see the pitches being playable, even with the expected rain overnight exposed ground is rock hard and a bit of rain wont help it either I suspect.

Is the fact I'm now hoping its cancelled obvious? 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

Think that the prolonged cold has broken my car.

Was reading -9 in the car this morning

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,153 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Still frozen jere today, lots of schools.closed again and buses not running until the afternoon provided the weather improves. There was a lovely pink sky out there earlier, I can only assume that means more ice 😄

My pilates class was cancelled last night - it's never been cancelled before in snow, ice, thick fog so it must be bad in other areas, not too bad here (says she who works from home 😆)

Pray for me, I have to go and put the bins out 🥶

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭tscul32

Just walked the dog. I love when the frost is thick enough to crunch.

Advertisement