Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new recycling system

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,646 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You showed deep desire to do so, and very little to show that that desire is gone. So yes. You are a wannabe scammer, who tries to justify it by calling your target a scam itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,003 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

This is never going to become mainstream

That was said about internet too wasn't it?

So if the Green Man tells you go for it in 10 years.

You will be back on with Gusto.

😂

• Registered Users Posts: 14,877 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Return scheme featured on Pat Kenny Newstalk earlier and will be discussed on Claire Byrne RTE today.

The internet wasn't an incompetent mess developed to try and hinder something else. This is.

Who are you referring to as the Green Man here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

Yes, i can see the inconvenience of holding onto a can or bottle, infact a can is more likely to get damaged than a bottle. its quite a nuisense.

if i'm being honest, i have no concerns over the retailer making 2.2 cents. And likewise, people should'nt have any issue with me redeeming other peoples bottles/cans. if the retailer can make money, and if the customer can make money, we can all make money and be happy hopefully.

i'm looking for ways to make money from all this, so that way i'm not having to do this for free. i even suggested an idea of helping other people (who cant leave their homes) the idea of returning their cans for them and even giving them a cut back out of the deposit money. but despite all efforts of attempting to help and come up with ways to profit, i'm being called a scammer and a thief here.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Advertisement

Did Pat actually call out the lies or was it just general disinterest?

actually for the record i had been calling the RVM scheme a scam here in this thread, long before trying to brain storm random ideas how to come up with profiting from the re-turn scheme.

It's extortion to demand people to do work for you, in return for giving them back their money. its not even paying people and at best the people brake even. Explain how thats considered fair?

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

The internet was developed to make information easier to share.

But much like today you had nutters back then too.

On ebooks. How about electronic publishing? Try reading a book on disc. At best, it’s an unpleasant chore

On digital news. The truth is no online database will replace your daily newspaper

Deflect! Deflect!

Explain who the bogeyman Green Man that you think I'm listening to is before posting more nonsense

No offence but you'd probably be better off listening back to it and make your own mind up.

• Advertisement

No offence. Taken.

You brought it up though and I imagine it's not up for listening yet. So could you give us the jist of it at least?

Ok it was just an explanation of the scheme and a bit of discussion.

For the past 4 days i have made it more than clear now that i have no intentions or desires to commit any sort of fraud or theft or scam. people on the thread was discussing ways people could possibly potentially abuse the system yes, you even accused me of putting stickers on cans or talking about doing it, when it was someone else that suggested that. And so what if i talk about cutting up cans. Cutting up an already damaged can don't make me a scammer. can is my property. i can use it for artistic purposes

• Registered Users Posts: 11,040 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Retailers on RTE radio this morning expressing concerns too: one RVM machine costs c€15,000 and will come with additional operating & servicing costs etc. Shop owner reckoned there would have to be 1,500,000 units put through the machine before they would break even. That's one and a half million returns!!!

So not only is this bean counting exercise going to impact on consumers, it's costing retailers big time.

Just who is making money out of it? Employees of this new quango Return and the manufacturers and distributors of RVM units I guess.

What a wonderful idea but according to proponent of the scheme, retailers are all scrambling to get on board and the public are wildly enthusiastic about it. What planet do they live on??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭SteM

A retailer from Clontarf on Claire Byrne saying his setup cost €30k! Machine cost + shelter + installation cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭howiya

Just for clarity the retailer who claimed it would take 1.5m items to break even was spending €30k. He is actually exempt (store size) but wanted to put in a machine for the community. Paying 14k for a machine which will be outdoors. Another 14k on an appropriate cover and 2.5k on installation.

Found the first retailer interesting. Owns 3 stores. Can only afford one machine. Putting in his store that shares a town with a Supervalu that will have a machine and needs to be able to compete because the voucher can only be spent in the store with the machine. He can't afford all his customers being sent to the rival store in the town so has to get a machine.

so much for people here calling it a non-profit, or not for profit. i was right all along lol And thanks for the update/post.

i'd honestly preffer the shops to be proffiting from it rather than re-turn themselves. Their main goal is getting the recycleables so thats all that should matter to them. If they choose to stop being mean, they can reduce the cost of the deposit and let shops make more profit from each unit.

If the government wants to reach target recycling goals, then they should fund/pay for all the machines and vehicles and related things, NOT the people. Absolute outright scam. Atleast reward the people and give them good incentive to help reach the goals, cash or voucher, not deposit. No profit to be made for us from getting our own money back at best. its free work and free help essentially they're expecting without actually giving us anything back in return.

Begs the important question, was there an actual thorough cost analysis done and published on this.

I mean best case scenario is a marginal increase in collection stats.

What is that marginal increase going to cost? I mean it's going to be borne by the public, so it is an extremely pertinent question.

Also if it is taking 7-8 years plus to get back the cost of these machines, what is the actual shelf life of them?

If the government wants to reach target recycling goals, then they should fund/pay for all the machines and vehicles and related things, NOT the people.

Not certain you understand how government finances work tbh.

Honestly i don't care as its not my problem, All i care about is fighting for the rights of the consumer and if possible having them not being stuck getting footed with the bill. i understand taxes are an excuse to make people have less money and don't actually get put into anything, i also understand how banks can cojure money up out of nowhere just by typing numbers on a screen once a person pays a deposit and signs a piece of paper, but thats besides the point.

My only interest and desire is to figure out how to make money from this scheme, or at the very least help people who are stuck with being affects by this scheme and who are losing their deposits. Seriously i hate the idea of seeing people lose out on money because of stuff like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,040 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

That 1.5m target could be met by 3000 households returning an average of 10 units a week for one year, to a single shop.

That's 4000+ per day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.

If it takes c 15 seconds to process a unit inc receipts and changeover, that's continuous use for 24 hours a day, every day...

It could take many years for a retailer in reality to recover costs.

You're all over the place, one of the most confused posters I've come across on boards.

Confused about what? i have no confusion over anything. i know exactly what i'm fighting for (or working towards).

other chap keeps harassing me non-stop, might make it look like my posts are all over the place because half of the time im defending myself towards accusation or stuck explaining myself, and the rest of the time i'm just replying to posts that are not related to the harrassmentings, so to anyone it looks like i'm replying to different things, but consistently.

You can't seem to decide if your a Delboy out to make money for yourself 25c at a time or a Robin Hood fighting for other people. My gut feeling is you're neither, just a character.

I agree with the other poster by the way, your first posts on this thread were about ways to return out of scope cans to make money for yourself. You've only become Robin Hood recently.

Nope, my first post was about asking if the other RVM's that offered vouchers had been retired. And my second post was asking if anyone had actually seen the new logo appear on anything yet.

EDIT: You even replied, showing me a can with the new logo on it

Why not be both? all jokes aside. my first post was about asking if the other RVM's that offered vouchers had been retired. And my second post was asking if anyone had actually seen the new logo appear on anything yet. it was the other guy who started calling me del boy, and then insisted on it despite being told i preffer chico marx from the marx brothers. He's only ever used that delboy name to harrass me. i never had a choice in the matter of being called del boy.

And yes whats wrong with making money for myself?

if i can make money and help others at the same time, thats great! if not, then atleast for myself. i've suggested a nice couple of things already where everyone can be a winner. Too much begrudge going on here. if i can make some money from this, then why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Genghis

The "other mad" proposal. Can't help yourself 😀

It was a mad proposal and has been gone through section by section here pointing out that it is expensive, complicated, relies on non-existent technologies to be created and locks out the majority of people from using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Lofidelity

Good discussion on this on Pat Kenny earlier. A fella representing convenience stores said the shop gets 2.2 cent for each item put in the machine. The machine cost ranges from 13k to 100k. He says it doesn't make sense financially and they don't have space for machines or storage of returned cans and bottles.

• Advertisement

I guess it's the same answer given to the people who recycle perfectly now who will struggle to do it when this scheme comes in, if they can do it at all.

Fúck them.

The Green Man needs pleasing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement