Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Deposit return scheme (recycling)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,259 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I assume that , on error, the machine still accepts the bottle/can and you just dont get the credit, otherwise everyone of these places is going to look like a kip in about 2 days as there is no way people are bringing failures back home with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭dragona

What about people with mobility issues? Or people with no transport? Such as myself.....I crush all my cans and plastic bottles and put them in my recycling bin. I pay for the service of course same as everyone else.

But now I have to pay extra for my cans and bottles, and I've no hope of transporting them all and getting my deposits back! Unless I quickly drink my can of fizz/bottle of water and throw it back in then it's just costing me extra and that's it! Or I could fill my bin bag, throw it over my shoulder, and go on my mobility scooter to drop them off, I think it's a bit unfair really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

I guess the simple solution would be to equip delivery drivers for the supermarkets with with a scanner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,104 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Did you read the PDF I link to in my post? That’s the official requirements document for the RVMs, and it contains everything I mentioned about container validation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,479 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I see that now thanks, I didn't realize Adobe Reader only showed me the first few pages last night.

I see this requirement to have the details of each container in the master container file being a nightmare in practice. Every machine from every manufacturer needs an up to date file or else newly released products are going to be rejected. Each drink vendor in the market is going to have to supply the details of what their container looks like to each machine manufacturer, and apply for and receive a unique barcode from what is essentially a government organisation before they can release their product, and the machine manufacturers are going to have to roll out updates in a timely fashion. This is no easy feat, and repac being at the centre is this isn't going to speed up matters. It's another cost and administrative burden to small drinks producers which will stifle innovation, they'll all revert to glass or use a standard shaped container, which hopefully can use the same barcode across products from different suppliers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,831 ✭✭✭creedp

Are you sure on that? Handy way of getting rid of unwanted containers, just shove them into the RVM

Actually, Re-Turn is expressly NOT a Government organisation. The legalisation (https://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2021/si/599/made/en/print) required the drinks producers to establish and operate the scheme themselves:

4.  (1) Producers shall establish a Deposit Return Scheme (hereafter “the scheme”) to operate in respect of in-scope bottles, in-scope containers and in-scope products.

Re-Turn is what they came up with.

The general targets and scope are in the legislation, but the nuts-and-bolts of how it is operated (such as how the containers are identified by the machines) were defined by the industry itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,479 ✭✭✭TheChizler

When I looked them up before I saw they shared an address with Repak which I thought was a quango so good to hear they're not, hopefully that helps. Still it's an extra step in the development of a product, we'll see if it has an impact.

On the whole, the scheme is not going to be accepting containers that don't meet the requirements.

There is some scope for the RVMs to accept "non-scheme containers" (and not pay back a deposit), but this has to be agreed with the operators on an individual basis, and they will still go though the weight/visual inspection against the Container Masterfile.

RVMs may accept non-scheme containers if agreed in advance with DRSI. Approved non-scheme containers will be added to the Container Masterfile. Non-scheme containers will automatically carry a deposit of €0.00. (Source: he RVM spec document).

Here's a selection of relevant quotes from the RVM spec document (I linked to previously) regarding rejecting containers:

• "If a container is identified as not empty, the container should be rejected."
    • "The compactor should destroy the barcode and all compacted containers should be rejected when attempted to be returned again."
    • "Every successful and rejected container represents a transaction, both of which must be registered and reported."
    • "Rejections must be tracked and reported for each RVM. Rejections represent failed transactions and attempted deposit redemptions. This provides value for identifying fraud."

Maybe smart establishments will put a general recycling bin nearby if it becomes an issue, but ultimately, it's up to individuals to dispose of their own waste legally and responsibly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Some machines have an additional opening for depositing rejected items. I've seen one such in one of my local Aldi stores.

In other cases, a regular bin will be located in proximity for disposal of rejects.

We're not reinventing the wheel here, what's being rolled out is exactly in line with what operates in many other countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Repak is established under legislation but is also not a Government body. It is a member organisation, which is not for profit and exists to promote recycling and manage packaging compliance. Repak was contracted by Deposit Return Ireland, trading as Re-turn, to manage the operations of the DRS scheme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,605 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I presume all machines will be internet connected so updates are not a problem.

It's about time producers of waste were required to take responsibility for what they put on the market.

Scrap the cap!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Producers have to upload their new products with barcodes 6 weeks before launching in the market, and will continue to supply their own barcodes as they do now. Re-Turn does not supply the barcodes. Producers have been uploading data since August in preparation for this.

The administrative burden on small businesses is large though, I agree with you there! So much reporting to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

Will the deposit return points be 24hrs or same as the shop opening hours?

House parties will be changed forever, the clean-up will become a whole lot easier as people will be dragging home their empties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,619 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I wonder will the smart party goers switch to glass bottles ?

• Advertisement

Depends which will be cheaper. €/ml the partygoer's kpi

They will have to balance the inconvenience of trying to shepherd their cans all night and get them home later with the price of bottles.

At 15c per can which they will almost certainly lose the glass bottles might look attractive.

Also I have noticed that since MUP when beer is on offer there is often no price difference between bottles and cans which would make the bottles an outright winner.

The host may just have to charge an entrance fee for those bringing bottles as more inconvenient to dispose of and no chance of earning a deposit on return😂

The cans as a sort of payment for the clean up ? 🙂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭tv3tg4

I wonder will there be an expiry date on the vouchers from the return machine?

Good question.

I haven't heard that there will be one.

Not sure but thermal printer paper doesn't last that long anyway...

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Reading through the posts makes me glad I don't buy bottled water, minerals in bottles or cans and will continue to put the very rare empty squash bottle in my recycling.

I would have serious doubt that the hoped for benefit will be achieved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

A way to increase rates would be to introduce huge fines for not recycling, and increase general littering fines which are laughable, and maybe consider actually enforcing them. This scheme is little different to a fine, you just pay the fine in advance and once you prove your innocence the fine is refunded. Of course many would have an issue with that but personally I would welcome it instead of this idea, which will have a lot of unintended consequences and stuff they are not openly declaring, e.g. the carbon footprint of making and maintaining these machines. Fines would ideally be a based on a % of your income, like other countries do for speeding tickets (and I imagine other things).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,778 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

The 2 big issues with your plan, which isn't a bad one from a recycling point of view, is that it relies on enforcement and products don't get separated.

In an instance of your example where somebody gets fined and then challenges the fine it could in theory go in front of a judge and that winds up being very costly for all involved.

The current system allows you the freedom to dispose of your can or bottle whichever way you choose to, be it general waste, recycling or RVM you don't get fined unless you litter (if littering fines get enforced)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Why can't the cans and bottles be crushed?

Because the RVM has to be able to verify that it is a deposit paid item before it will pay back on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

AA Way to increase recycling rates wold be if this new RVM scheme did not require the new logo on recycleables and if they was willing to accept all cans/bottles as eligible, even from before feb 1st. they're too greedy. at best the consumer breaks even. no profit to be made from this scheme from the consumers side of things unless they redeem the deposit on bottles/cans they did not buy

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

You want to get back deposits you didn't pay?

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

It's not the worst idea as a way of kick-starting the scheme, even if only for a week or two.

It's the way a lot (the majority?) of new products are marketed - selling at a hugely below cost price for a short introductory period. I do understand that this is 'different', it's not a product as such, and they don't want to add to the start-up costs. But even something like 15p deposit, 20p on return for the first month (on logo-ed items) could help get it off to a positive start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TokTik

Less than 1/3rd of shops will offer a refund. What an absolute joke of a scheme. Whoever signed off on this should be sacked immediately. I give it six months and a sizeable chunk of taxpayers money before it goes the way of the e-voting machines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,612 ✭✭✭✭L1011

This is how these schemes operate everywhere

Indo making a front page headline out of something known since day one and always planned for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,429 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Has anyone noticed the logos on soft drinks, bottled water yet?

Does that mean I should be setting them aside to claim back the deposits when the machines are operational?

Might be a way to snaffle up some cents before the scheme kicks in and I to pay the deposits when purchasing.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

It's a rather important point for end users, that the majority of retailers won't be taking them back, significantly affecting the inconvenience to those users. Whatever you mean by "Planned for" or not, it clearly shows the convenience of end users was not a priority in the scheme or "planned for".

Does it not mean that if you see can or bottle on the shelf today that the retailer would have paid the deposit to the wholesaler ?

I saw the picture earlier in the thread of a craft beer can with logo but I suspect that was an outlier.

Officially they shouldn't be out, stuff right now may have had it paid, but the can i got in August certainly didn't!

If you were to redeem that can when feb 1st comes, would it be considered fraud?

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Advertisement

I suppose they might be in stock rooms but unless someone makes a mistake they won't go on the shelves until Feb 1.

It would be costing the shop owner money.

By the way off topic, if anyone wants to save real money Lidl are clearing some non logo craft beers at MUP.

It's a win win, you get beer at a bargain price and you can throw the empties in the recycle bin.

That really only affects people buying water, soft drinks etc on a one-off basis in small shops (and these are the ones most likely to be littered). The vast majority of cans and bottles are sold in multipacks in supermakets and the people who buy them are going back there every week, same as they're already doing with the glass beer bottles they buy and bring back to the bottle bank in the supermarket car park. My local Molloys doesn't have a bottle bank but it doesn't matter because any beer bottles I buy there are just brought back to the supermarket I'm going to anyway.

Scrap the cap!

Any Re-Turn labelled cans which escaped into the wild before they should have (and I bought one before Christmas) won't cost the retailer anything, it'll be an ever so tiny loss to Re-Turn. But every bottle or can which the producer/importer has to pay for up front, and ends up in green bin / landfill / etc is a gain for Re-Turn. The latter is going to far outweigh the former.

Scrap the cap!

But they are exactly the sort of purchases least likely to be ending up in green bins at the moment / ending up in littering (as you note) and not in the recycling chain. This needs to get to 90 percent?

That may not be the majority of purchases but it is not insignificant either.

Seems a significant amount of purchases not prioritised.

Theres also the growing numbers getting home deliveries.

interesting, especially the last part you mentioned about the latter outweighing the former in regards of the unclaimed deposits for some cans ending up in bins. the same logic was applied in another thread when relating to people scamming the machines. long story short if possible to scam the machines it will be hard to detect until after the number of apparent unclaimed deposits become 0% and starting going the opposite way due to too many scam redeems. once that happens it will begin eating into the profits. There was even a joke posted there about achieving a 140% recycling rate lol.

Some person somewhere in a country that had a simular scheme, was able to keep putting the can into the machine again and again, made a bunch of profit then got caught and charged with fraud.

It's a non-profit company

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement

That tends to work out so well here when you give a monopoly to such a company, with zero incentive for them to run the service well from the consumers pov.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

Maybe it's been asked already but can you bring a can etc back to any shop? Or the one you bought it from?

Eg: If I buy a bottle from Lidl in Tuam

• I can bring it back to Lidl in Tuam.
    • Can I bring it back to Lidl in Dublin?
    • Can I bring it back to a Centra in Cork?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

You can bring it back to any shop which has not got an exemption. Any of the Big supermarkets + Centra, Spar, daybreak, applegreen, circle K (that kinda size) will be taking returns. When you get to newsagents, chances are they will be taking the exemption at first.

To use your example you can bring it back in another chain, in another town and they have to give you cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭SteM

Yes, but remember that if you bring it to Centra and put it into one of their machines you have to redeem the voucher in a Centra either for cash or against a purchase there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement