Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Room to Improve - Grants 😱

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭Francis McM

I never made serious accusations of criminal wrongdoing. I ask you to withdraw that allegation.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭bfclancy2

the worst thing about this program is that it has resulted in an influx of people into our nice forum that have no interest or experience in construction, the sooner this dies off and we can go back to talking about dpc detailing around window cills and airtightness around hollowcore the better 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 46,037 ✭✭✭✭muffler

• Registered Users Posts: 68,751 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Well, somebody did on page 1 of the thread and your posts among others, were edited by the mod @DOCARCH, who then posted this:

Mod Note: Accusations of fraud and talk of jail time, without concrete evidence/proof, could be libelous. I have edited posts accordingly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Homer

this thread really sums up how much of a cesspit boards is a lot of the time. I often wonder how people rack up 50k/60k posts. Then I read threads like this and laugh out loud. Some of you need to go outside 😁

I'm standing in the queue in the butcher's, does that count?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

You have repeatedly claimed that they invented structural problems that were not there, did not have properly qualified professionals signing off the work, and claimed the house was vacant when it was not, all so that they could claim grant money to which they were not entitled.

What is that if not an accusation of fraud?

• Registered Users Posts: 46,037 ✭✭✭✭muffler

You said that it was "fraudulent with a capital F"

You and others have made some wild accusations in this thread without backing up the claims. Then you moaned about not knowing how to report all this wrongdoing and I give you the go to place. So once again I have to ask did you report all this wrongdoing?

As I said, Mr. Bannon and the show should clarify the matter. He is no stranger to the media ( he was on Tubrity's show over a dozen times ), so there should be more clarification from the programme over matters, and there appears to be lot of confusion over grants etc. Even Mr. Bannon himself I think on the first show this year (12 days ago) said the couple could be entitled to the first time buyers grant, as well as the other grants , on the house they inherited?

As someone else said ( post 31) there are "couples who bought genuine derelict, vacant properties and are struggling to qualify so questions do need to be asked about how these schemes are managed."

I would not say it was fraud but I agree questions need to be asked how these schemes are managed.

• Advertisement

"couples who bought genuine derelict, vacant properties and are struggling to qualify so questions do need to be asked about how these schemes are managed."

Why would Bannon and RTE be answerable for this if it did happen? Bizarre, scattergun ranting is all you are engaging in.

Because Mr. Bannon claimed in publicity "this series was all about grants" and yet there appears to be confusion over grants: very few people have, for example, succeeded in getting some of the grants. Anyway, I am not going to post in this thread again. Someone else a few posts ago wondered how people rack up 50k/60k posts ... you go ahead and rack up your post total more if you want.  

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

There is a lot of confusion - on your part.

And you've compensated for that confusion by assuming you know everything, while everything we saw on the show was lies and deceit.

very few people have, for example, succeeded in getting some of the grants

You never did back this claim up.

How is Bannon gonna clear up confusion about 'dereliction' for instance if people insist on using their own definition of it, even when it is explained multiple times.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭mattser

Rent a row posters whose day revolves around tit for tat childish nonsense. Nothing better to be getting on with obviously.

You never asked me to back up ""the claim that very few people have succeeded in getting some of the grants". Anyway, a 2 second google shows the Examiner reported on 16th November last year " Just 21 vacant property refurbishment grants have been drawn down by homeowners since the scheme came into effect last year, new figures from the Department of Housing show. The figures show that 4,640 applications have been made for the grant, with 1,975 being approved since the scheme came into effect in July 2022."

As regards the dereliction definition, I and others have told you that, according to the government website on the grant " to get this top-up grant, you must confirm that the property is derelict. This means that the property is structurally unsound and dangerous. You must submit an independent report prepared by a qualified professional, along with the application confirming that the property is derelict." The dictionary definition of dereliction ( "a state of having been abandoned and become dilapidated" : "not being cared for" ) is not enough.

Someone else said last November in the article in the Examiner, the fact that just 21 grants have been drawn down shows that the scheme is “badly designed” and “beset with problems”. I would find it hard to disagree with that.

I said I would not post in this thread again but then you write "You never did back this claim up". I'm done with this thread now.

So if the take-up was bad, what would be expected of the Dept?

Get the word out there because not enough people are applying.

So re: derelict, the terms were met by the couple as the roof was condemned.

You not believing that is immaterial unless you can prove otherwise. As the roof is long gone, best of luck on that.

P.S. I asked you several times how you knew the stuff you were claiming. You do know that not everyone who applies for a grant gets one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Ah here. Do you really think anybody googling a grant is trying to determine if it is really intended for them, rather than of it is something they would be eligible for?

I have my doubts about their eligibility in fairness, but that is really up to themselves and their council to her or at this stage.

The grant she says the property needs to be structurally undoind to qualify for the derelict element, and confirmed as such by an objective reviewer. But it does not provide any clear definition of what is considered structural usoind etc.

6 months ago, I would have assumed the were clear criteria documented and published to define all of this and ensure consistency across all applications etc

Having watched my brother go through the vacant grant application process (ongoing), it is clear that each coincil defines and interprets is own criteria as it goes along, based on each assessors own opinion and approach in a ridiculously Irish approach.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement